A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 304,861
Currently Running With Scissors:
668 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Liquid Starch Paper Marbling  (Read 27394 times)
Tags for this thread: marbling , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cebsme
« on: February 02, 2006 08:04:22 AM »

Ive been experimenting with marbling on paper using liquid starch as a size. This is right up my alley because the most expensive part was the paint and i got a big set for only $8.00 Everything else came from the dollar store except the cardstock i had on hand.  This is just a small sample since i find this relaxing in the past five days ive done over 100 sheets,even though it was just an experiment.  I plan on making a journal with some of it.

My little ham oreo had to sneak into some of the pictures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisaintexas
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006 09:24:54 AM »

Looks great! Can you give a tutorial?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wanderingpen.etsy.com
cebsme
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006 09:44:06 AM »

Sure this is very simple....

Supplies: Liquid starch (jugs found in the Laundry Detergent area of your store)
             Liquid dish soap (plain old dawn type works the best buy any will do)
             Shallow Dish or pan a little larger than your paper for each person ( i used cheap dollar store cookie sheets worked great)
             A plastic dish pan big enough for your paper filled with cold water. ( you need to put it in a water bath, dont worry the design will stay)
             Acrylic Paints in different colors
             Combs, Brushes, Straws, Ect...(anything you can use to make a design, theres many differnt styles and ways you can drop the paint from a brush, use combs to make stripes, straws to make bubbles)
              Some water
              Paper plates to mix up paints
              Paper, you can use any i like cardstock because it stands up to the water bath better but any will do

How to:  Fill your shallow dish just a little more than completely covering the bottom of the pan with liquid starch
             Mix a drop of dish soap in with your paint and some water to make it thin but not very thin, experiement with consistancy, the thicker it is the more will fall past the starch and not be seen on paper, but if its too thin it will spread a lot on the surface(which can look cool)
             Now drop you paint on to the surface of the liquid starch using your brush or any other way you choose,
                   Dropping differnet colors in one spot will make a bullseye, driping small drops all over will look random and create something like the orange and blue on the bottom of my examples.
             You can either just use it dropped or use your comb or straw to make designs. Straws blow bubbles into the paint, combs you can use to spread it out, 3rd example down on the right of mine was spread with combs.

Hold your paper by on corner on the top and the oppisite on the bottom and gently set onto the starch, making sure the entire  surface touched the starch.  It will start to curl a little, when it does this grab your corners again  hold it over the starch for a minute because it will drip for a bit.  Then put it directly colored side down into your water bath, just enough to ge the slimy off. If you want the colors to be brighter you can let it dry for a little bit first, then use the water bath.   

Let your paper dry then overnight works best, and you will have marbled paper.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
flamethrower

Breath deeply/Exhale/Let go

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006 07:12:51 AM »

That is awesome!!  the tutorial is great and I can't wait to try it.  I've done the shaving cream paper before, but I think I may like this one better.  Thanks for sharing your photos and the directions.

~ DAWN
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Mary Oliver "wild geese"

http://wildyarn.blogspot.com
antigone
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006 07:31:30 AM »

beautiful!! I will try this. Do you think liquid starch in spray form would work? The top right one of your papers could be framed as art!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cebsme
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006 07:42:23 AM »

I dont think the spray will work..because you need your size(the starch) to be something that the paper will set on and not be foamy(or you would get air bubbles) also i think theres so much less in the spray bottles, than in the jugs. I spent 1.67 on a jug
THIS ROCKS   Logged
muffinpod
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006 12:11:50 PM »

awesome idea.

i've been using the shaving cream and food coloring method, but food coloring is expensive... not to mention the color limitations. I have an abundance of acrylic paints, so this sounds more cost-efficient.

thanks! <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TwistedRedhead
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006 01:32:16 PM »

I am so going to try this!  I have a marbling kit that uses just water and ink, but I am not completely satisfied with the results that I get.  I am not able to get a nice comb effect.  Thank you so much for the instructions! 

Marbled paper makes beautiful framed art.  Some of the pieces I've made I have run through the Xyron and attached to mat board and then framed.  It is very easy since you don't need a special mat cutter or anything.  I like the look of raw paper edges.

Thanks for posting this cebsme!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nunchuck skills...check, Computer hacking skills...check, Bowstaff skills...check, Crafting skills...check.

http://worksofartemis.etsy.com/
http://worksofartemis.blogspot.com/
cebsme
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006 09:22:16 AM »

yey, i hope you girls enjoy it as much as i did, it was soo much fun to get a little messy and play while creating some art.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ktsls82
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006 09:13:32 PM »

Thanks for the tuturial!  I'm doing some collage type journal pages these marbeled sheets will make a great background!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Antonio Berardi - London - Spring 2014 - Interviews & Runway
DIY Studded Shoes
FIRST LOOK: Antonio Berardi - London Fashion Week Spring 2014
Finding the Perfect Biker Jacket
Style Sound Off: Blake Lively, Nicole Richie, and Victoria Beckham
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...