A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,719
Currently Running With Scissors:
800 Guests and 49 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Odessa (Grumperina for MagKnits) KAL  (Read 23841 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Necia
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2006 07:26:58 AM »

Awwwwwwwww, that's really lovely, I just had to comment.  I would never make Green anything for myself, but that just looks wonderful on you!  Good Job!

Necia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Necia
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2006 07:29:40 AM »

I'm back!  Can I ask how all of you are stringing the beads onto the yarn.  I've made one, and I went w/o beads after I struggled for 10 minutes and had only got 1 bead on board.  I would love to make one to "gift" and actually use the beads.

Necia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Zanti MissKnit

Formerly known as AndreaLH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2006 07:38:24 AM »

Necia, thank you!!!  To be fair, I would never have bought that color yarn -- my DH bought it for me for Xmas and I just love it.  Coincidentally, his brother sent me a lovely shawl from Turkey that is a similar color.  Now I'm hooked on that shade of green -- I never knew it looked good on me!

As far as stringing the beads goes, I had a challenge finding a needle that had an eye big enough to thread yarn through, yet small enough to pass a bead over.  I think I finally found that one of my embroidery needles did the trick.  Thankfully DK weight yarn isn't much thicker than embroidery floss!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

caeebe
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2006 08:08:06 AM »

I'm back!  Can I ask how all of you are stringing the beads onto the yarn.  I've made one, and I went w/o beads after I struggled for 10 minutes and had only got 1 bead on board.  I would love to make one to "gift" and actually use the beads.

Necia

I made myself a makeshift needle using super thin craft wire.  I don't know what gauge wire it was but it was really thin.  I made a 4cm long loop, then twisted lightly another 4cm length of wire for the needle part.  I slid the yarn through and voila a flexible thin needle.  Another option is to go to the toothbrush and flossing part of the supermarket/drugstore and pick up the floss threaders used for people with braces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
violi
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2006 08:58:54 AM »

Finally -- my Odessa is done!!!

More pics and details on my blog.

Now THAT is one darn cute odessa.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I will have Alton Brown's baby!
MmmKnits
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2006 09:04:49 AM »

Necia, I just did the following:

1. Cut a small length of regular sewing thread (about 8 inches)
2. Tied it into a loop
3. Stuck the end of the yarn through the loop (with about a 4 inch tail hanging down)
4. Stuck the tied-off end (since it was sturdier/more stable) of the thread loop through a bead
5. Pulled the thread loop through the bead, bringing the end of the yarn with it.

Super easy, no extra trip to the store required. Even if you don't have sewing thread, you could do the same thing with dental floss.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Necia
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2006 03:39:10 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions.  I do have some Dk weight yarn here, and I struggled beading even that!  I know for a fact I want to make this hat in worsted weight too, though.  I'm gonna try each of your suggestions individually (as time permits) until I strike gold!

Thanks
necia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

weirdlilcraftychic

oh wow look at me

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2006 10:45:47 AM »

put clear nail polish on the end of the yarn and kinda shape it into a point as it is drying. can't remember where I read that, but it works like a charm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grrrlennyl
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2006 11:40:29 AM »

i just started working on an odessa for my gf yesterday (yay for vacation days!).

i'm using knitpicks shine sport in grass...

as of yesterday afternoon, i only had a bit done.  i'm probably about an inch or two beyond this point now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mayerlove
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2006 09:59:21 PM »

pretty! i want to make one in worsted weight-we'll see how that goes...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Art of Ebru
The Art of Turkish Calligraphy
The Art of Recycled African Culture Puppets
Learn about Recycled Art and Beadworks
The Art of Recycled Materials
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...