A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,554
Currently Running With Scissors:
807 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Children's Book: "What to do With a Box" (case bound, edition of 20)  (Read 3262 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Whaam
« on: February 01, 2006 04:07:25 PM »

So... this is my first "finished product" post on craftster Smiley but technically my second printed book.  I wanted to make a children's book that would appeal to everyone, and had a bunch of fond memories of playing with/in boxes as a kid.  So here we go:

These are a couple of the covers that I did--I varied the endpaper and the cover paper a little bit, but case bound all of the books (which took a looong time).

The title page...

And some example pages from the inside--I didn't want to get too insane and image-heavy, so I haven't posted all of the pages, but these are a lot of them:

"There it is, brown, squarish, and perfect.

"Now what on earth to do with it?

"Make a spaceship."        "Make a robot."

"Hide from monsters...      and grown-ups."

"Scare people with it."

"Use it to find friends."

"And then,   leave it for someone else."

Whew, that's it!  Feedback on the book or memories of what you all did (or still do!) with cardboard boxes would be amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roxybadoxy

Glcklich mich

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006 04:35:53 PM »

aww that is so cute!!! i would love one! haha i am such a child
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please help some animals by clicking here!
OH! and there are other tabs so you can do more helpful things. YAY!!
scrappygirl085
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006 04:47:45 PM »

This brings back alot -- my father delivered for Sears, so we always had the big appliance boxes, sometimes enough for a small town!  At 7 or 8 we were allowed to wield boxcutters to cut the windows and doors.  The fridge box on its end was an elevator going nowhere, or a time machine.  A couple dryer boxes duct taped side by side had a doorway cut to go from 'room to room. We wore out boxes of crayons decorating our new 'homes.'  The boxes only lasted until the next rain (depending on the amount of use) because they were too big to bring into the house.

Thanks for asking, it's been awhile since I thought about Boxtown.

p.s. Your books look amazing.  Did you print on the computer? They look stamped.  Such fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
antigone
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006 04:48:05 AM »

It's adorable. You should try to get it published, or publish it yourself. I think both kids and adults would like it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mave

do-dee-do-do-dee-do-dodododo

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006 06:32:35 AM »

That's amazing!  I teach 5 year olds and i know they would love it too!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my (very short!) wist http://www.wists.com/MaveH
coolgrin
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006 06:34:55 AM »

I love it. And it brought fond memories of my old boxes. Grin  You really should get it published.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Overheard in New York http://www.overheardinnewyork.com/

Man to girlfriend: Shit, I like that Martha Stewart. She a gangsta in disguise.

--Kmart, Astor Place
fingertip
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006 10:13:20 AM »

OMG thats so cute! you should totally get it published! <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The End.
Whaam
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006 11:33:06 AM »

This brings back alot -- my father delivered for Sears, so we always had the big appliance boxes, sometimes enough for a small town!  At 7 or 8 we were allowed to wield boxcutters to cut the windows and doors.  The fridge box on its end was an elevator going nowhere, or a time machine.  A couple dryer boxes duct taped side by side had a doorway cut to go from 'room to room. We wore out boxes of crayons decorating our new 'homes.'  The boxes only lasted until the next rain (depending on the amount of use) because they were too big to bring into the house.

Thanks for asking, it's been awhile since I thought about Boxtown.

p.s. Your books look amazing.  Did you print on the computer? They look stamped.  Such fun!

haha, that sounds like me and my brother--I remember making some sort of elaborate spaceship.  As for the printing--I'm lucky enough to go to a school that has a couple of big old vandercook presses, and for this project I got to learn how to make photoplates for the illustrations (basically like stamps for letterpress printing).  Here's a good link for info about letterpress: http://www.fiveroses.org/intro.htm.  But, I think that a computer printer would work splendidly as a cheaper/faster alternative--especially since I don't want to spend months on every project!

Thanks to everybody for the replies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
parisgirl
I craft for comfort

Alice in Parisland

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006 11:35:14 AM »

I've had the pleasure of teaching Children's Literature at our local university - and I'm always encouraging students to attempt a book for a child...it is an exercise in creativity and in working with words and concepts that children can relate to and at the same time be challenged by.

Your book is amazing!  I love the artwork, your text and of course the style and craftmanship.  If you were in my class I'd give you an A ++++!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zitrone21

Ooh, I'm so blurry . . .

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006 04:38:07 PM »

That's a great little book.  I loved playing in big boxes when I was little . . .  I'd probably still like playing in them now, too.  Hee-hee Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
4 Stylish Outfits to Try Over the Long Memorial Day Weekend
Lea Michele Looks White Hot and Shows Some Serious Skin
Celebrities Sport Darker Shades for Summer 2012
Wedding Guest Fashion Guide
Emma Roberts Lends Polish to Everyday Denim Cutoffs
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...