A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 304,868
Currently Running With Scissors:
428 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: advice on dress...  (Read 6077 times)
Tags for this thread: dress , tube_dress , strapless , strapless_dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

smelkie
« on: June 18, 2004 09:51:46 PM »

Okay, so I was inspired to try my all-time first dress tonight, and I even did it without a pattern. I went into the ordeal fully expecting to create something horrifying, but the dress turned out surprisingly alright.
Here it is, in all its glory:

The only problem is, I used some boring ho-hum red fabric because I was planning on tossing the whole thing at the end of the night. So now I have a question: what should I do with it? It needs something to make it a little more interesting... straps? ruffles? stencil? Ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a ton in advance! : )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004 10:03:08 PM »

that's great!   Cheesy  I love it.

I think it would be great with a strip of wide black ribbon around the top, tied with a little bow in the back and left to trail most of the way down.  but that might just be me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Darkest_Faerie
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004 10:19:09 PM »

Black tull or crioline (whatever that poufy material is called) would look neat on the bottom...but your dress looks fine the way it is...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-See my photography here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceylheureux/
-Visit my blog here: http://tinystarcreations.blogspot.com/
-Check out my zazzle site here:
http://www.zazzle.com/paper_airplane*
grrr betsy
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004 10:50:29 PM »

white lace on the bottom and white and red polkadot ribbon around the waist with a nice bow!!!
i LOVE the dress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Betsy
JanxX
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2004 01:30:43 AM »

Hm...I say felt thingies somewhere on the dress. You could make a fuax corsage on it. Hearts? Stars? Dots? Anything would be cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arizabif
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2004 02:51:49 AM »

A large stencil would be very cool, IMO.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shade_n_shadow
The Jones.

teh knowledge- it fills me- IT IS NEAT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2004 05:01:46 AM »

a ribbon around, just under the bust
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy -Ben Franklin~~~
~~~Everytime I get with the program, somone changes the damn channel!~~~
~~~on one of those speech-to-text programs my friend ripped ass onto the mic.and it typed out "France"~~~
poterat
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2004 05:52:19 AM »

A long wide ribbon, black or pink or orange, down the front of the dress. Like |. perpendicular to the floor. And off center. Assymmetry is very "in"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smelkie
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2004 06:10:55 AM »

Oh man! SO many good ideas - before I didn't know what to do because I was fresh out of ideas, and now I don't know what to do because there are so many good ones!

Thanks guys, I knew I could depend on you.

I'm going to think it over - I'll let you know what i come up with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ellseybell

It's a hard job being a beautiful assistant...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2004 05:44:52 PM »

I think an Asian-flavored depiction of a flower or bamboo in black on the bottom or side of the dress would be really elegant, and the black and red contrast would punch it up a notch. But your dress is great just the way it is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever." -- Judge Judy
amelia bedelia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2004 07:07:02 PM »

i personally think a stencil would look cool, frills might look good but it might be a bit much, i think it looks really good by itself the way it is now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Damn it feels good to be a gangster
iLoVeCaReBeArS
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2004 07:41:27 PM »

I just looked at it and I though...APPLE APPLIQUE!

A green apple applique would look really cute on it.

Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

boo
twiggy66
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2004 06:34:33 PM »

i dont have anything on improving the interestingosity of the dress because the red looks really good with your skin tone, but i bet you could make a shrug out of something like white lace or a printed fabric because the dress is a solid color to go with it. i bet it would be ver ver glam.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shes crafty
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2004 06:40:50 PM »

a little embroidery along the top or bottom?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2004 07:46:08 PM »

Adorable dress!

For decoration, what about a fabric flower?

I've seen lots of dresses lately with grosgrain ribbon trim, as others have suggested, right under the bust (think empire waist) or at the natural waist. Sometimes they have a bow, or at least a couple of lengths of ribbon hanging down for a more flowy touch. Why not do that, and then make a flower to go with it? If you attach the flower with a safety pin or brooch back, then it would be removable when you want to wash the dress, or change to a different accessory... There are several threads on here about making them, just search for "fabric flower" --- here are a couple:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=7448.0 (a flower I made, and one my sister made)

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=7837.msg61634#msg61634 (another variation, much less complicated)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2004 07:48:24 PM by trufflegirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
moonunit426
Democrafter

Dear Duct Tape, You hold my life together. <3 M.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2004 09:29:08 PM »

I vote for black tulle sticking out of the bottom and a black ribbon under the bust
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2004 03:14:02 PM »

Great job on the dress!  I agree with some of the others on the addition of some tulle at the bottom.  But I think the black ribbon should go around the top instead of under the bust.  Or something else you could do would be to make several removeable appliques.  You could attach them with snaps or with velcro.  That way you can change up the dress to fit your mood or the occasion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
NynaeveAS

I'm pretty enough for both of us.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2004 05:06:53 PM »

OK, I just saw a girl wearing a really cool version of this dress.  The dress had straps however.  The one strap matched the dress and was thin.  The other was a thicker in a contrasting color and ran down both the front and the back.  The strip of contrasting fabric was not straight but curved to match the shape of a hour glass which to me made her look curvier.  I thought it was neat but I was thinking that you could also do that on both straps in black and do the sides inbetween in black also, leaving the center front and back in the contrast color.  However doing that from scratch would probably be a better route.  Smiley

BTW I like the ribbon below the bust idea.  It would change it into a empire waist  dress but then again I'm partial to that.  Maybe consider putting the contrasting ribbon at the top but behind the current top.  I would just experiment though before doing the sewing.  I can't tell which would look better on your body type: above or below the bust.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Baby Bonsai

sequins GALORE!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2004 07:26:31 PM »

I think it's cool just being plain, so you can wear stunning or huge jewelery and have a new look everytime you wear that dress, like maybe once a couple strings of big nice (can be fake) pearls or maybe a BIG pendant, or even a small chocker.... let your imagination run wild!!

BB Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MrsFlip
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2004 11:43:00 AM »

Well I think you should put diamond studs at the top of the dress going around and put a ribbon around the waist. Just thinkin about it makes me shiver with excitement (maybe I should try one). Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
drink_the_stars
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2004 01:58:36 PM »

WOW I LOVE your dress!! i think the sugesstions here are all really good! i just wanted to tell you the dress rocks! well done! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Costume Makeup - Finishing the Scarred Joker
Costume Makeup - Applying the Base Coat
Costume Makeup - Applying Liquid Latex
Superhero Origins: Deadpool
Face Painting - Adding Finishing Touches
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...