A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,330
Currently Running With Scissors:
616 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 22
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Various Techniques for Making T-Shirts/Clothes Look & Feel Vintage  (Read 101127 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #120 on: December 18, 2005 09:58:57 PM »

random question:
would colour-safe bleach still do the job of making the clothes softer, but prevent the fading? i think i read the whole topic, and i don't think i saw anything about colour-safe bleach...
"Color-safe bleach" isn't really bleach.  It's actually an optical brightener--a sort of  dye that the detergent adds to the fabric.  UV light makes it glow (I remember an old dorm decorating trick of painting on the walls with liquid detergent and turning on a blacklight).  It makes whites and colors look brighter, but doesn't do anything to the composition of the fabric.

So, no, the color-safe bleach wouldn't make the clothes softer.  But washing clothes many times in detergent with color-safe bleach (or any detergent) would, in most cases.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
justxoames
« Reply #121 on: December 26, 2005 01:12:07 PM »

Does anyone know of any ways to give jeans the "destroyed" look without actually making holes in the jeans.  At my school, we are not aloud to have jeans with holes in them, so I wanted to still have the look and still be able to follow dress codes.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Coyotelady
« Reply #122 on: December 26, 2005 01:31:55 PM »

I did a quick web search and found this article.  http://teenfashion.about.com/od/diyfashion/a/destroyeddenim.htm

You could probably use the same process just minus the cutting and tearing.  To make it look like it might have been torn you could use patches here and there if you wanted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indigo flower girl
« Reply #123 on: December 26, 2005 06:22:06 PM »

You could try jeans with holes in them, patched up with more denim or other, maybe flashier, fabrics, like brocade or whatever you like.  Wink

http://www.delias.com/item.do?categoryID=487&itemID=44683&sizeFilter=&brandFilter=
http://www.delias.com/item.do?categoryID=487&itemID=44650&sizeFilter=&brandFilter=
http://store.alloy.com/item.do?categoryID=464&itemID=44607&sizeFilter=&brandFilter=
« Last Edit: December 26, 2005 06:26:30 PM by indigo flower girl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://cakeandmittens.wordpress.com/

Smile like you mean it, and let yourself let go.
crystaleternity

kittens are a weapon of mass destruction

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 04, 2006 03:36:20 PM »

Okay Okay I came up with the best idea for making t-shirts look and feel vintage...

Wear them to bed! Just think, pyjamas end up all soft and comfy and FADED after a few months bed-wearing and washing.

I realised this the other day when thinking about how one of my friends admitted when we were in a bar that she was wearing a top that had originally been a pyjama top because it was all soft and comfy.

So now I've put my boring new t-shirts onto a rota of being worn to bed. Think about all the lovely creasing and sweating in them that'll get done without you even needing to try!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hananabread
« Reply #125 on: January 22, 2006 06:08:01 PM »

you can vintage the edges of shirts by attacking with sand paper, but i wouldnt advise using sandpaper for jeans.   it takes forever.  i tried sand paper on some thinner jeans that i had and i eventually gave up and grabbed a cheese grater.   cheese graters work really well but i have 3 tips for vintaging jeans

1. Use an old cheese grater because my darling mummie spazzed when she found all the denim fuzz in the grater
2.Put the jeans on when you start grating or at least mark down where on the jeans you want it done,  it will look more natural if you mark it down
3.Use sand paper on the jeans after to soften the worn away parts,  the grater can be harsh..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jonesabi
« Reply #126 on: January 24, 2006 08:07:15 PM »

If anyone's looking for rock salt/large crystal salt...an easy place to go is your local hardware store, especially in the winter. My grocery store also carries some rock salt during these months. You can get a 10 lb. bag of rock salt (ice cream salt) for a buck or two. Don't waste your time/money buying it from the food section. Or, if you live in PA, you could just go to your local salt barn and sneak some out. Just kidding.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IzzyBella

Drag it out of the trash... and make it beautiful

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: February 10, 2006 04:22:14 PM »

Okay Okay I came up with the best idea for making t-shirts look and feel vintage...

Wear them to bed! Just think, pyjamas end up all soft and comfy and FADED after a few months bed-wearing and washing.

I was going to say that.  The softest shirt I've ever owned was worn to bed every night for a month straight with absolutely no washing at all (Dude, I missed my boyfriend, what can I say?).  The moment it came out of the washer for the first time, it was a velvety-soft piece of heaven. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006 04:24:24 PM by IzzyBella » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join the Project Runway Craftalong!  CLICK HERE!  Now with no deadlines!

Your girl finally got her Etsy
a besoin de parler
« Reply #128 on: February 11, 2006 03:00:19 PM »

it was a velvety-soft piece of heaven.

Ha.  Count me in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xveganettex
« Reply #129 on: March 08, 2006 08:03:19 PM »

i sort of discovered a way to get your jeans a little bit faded without bleach...all on accident....as i was painting my guitar amp...in my most comfiest pair of jeans (stupid stupid stupid!)...
anyways...the dog jumped off the couch and onto my plate of paint and then onto my legs...
so i took them off as fast as i could and threw them in the sink full of hot water and a bunch of this cheap dish soaap my parents had
Ajax antibacterial citrus..
and then after about 30 mintues of scrubbing for 5 mintues...stopping...scrubbing again for 5 mntues stopping ..ect ect... when i lifted the jeans from the water it was blue...and they were slightly faded...AND!..the paint came almost completly out! WOOH!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 22 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cornbread Dressing Recipe
Salt and Pepper Turkey Recipe
How to Make a Homemade Pizza
How to Make a Roux
A Top Chef Reinvents Your Wedding Registry
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...