A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,450
Currently Running With Scissors:
443 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Various Techniques for Making T-Shirts/Clothes Look & Feel Vintage  (Read 94746 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dramaqueen0487

Make a Wish....

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2004 07:21:28 PM »

I am so happy I started this thread it has gotten so much response!  Yea!!  You guys have had so many ideas about getting the vintage "feel."  Do you guys have any more of the vintage "look" ideas?  That is more what I am going for... adding to my wardrobe!

Thanks all!

Love Ya Guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Stephsthename
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2004 09:17:19 PM »

it's okay...people can't always get online to see everything....a little refresher is nice sometimes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

moefen
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2004 11:27:42 AM »

Hi,

I have some experience breaking down clothing for movies and theatre, and what we do is wash, wash wash, over and over.  If you can set your machine to just keep ajitating, and leave the clothes in there for an hour or two, then things are great.  Throw a big rough towel in there to help the abrasion.

You can add rock salt, or TSP (household cleaner), that tend to eat into it a bit.

I don't think I would recommend soaking in the bleach recipes...those seem pretty strong and would probably end up weakening the fabric to the point that it would fall apart the next time you wash it.

Use sandpaper to rub at printing or decals if you want them to wear off a bit, and you can use sandpaper to gently thin the fabric, (rub in long strokes), but be very careful not to get any tiny holes in it, because they will get bigger every time you wash it.

Hanging in the sun is a great way to unevenly fade it.

IMO, i don't think you can get a vintage-y feel, without some of the old look, because you have to break down the fabric and fibres.

Best of luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Darkest_Faerie
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2004 12:56:04 PM »

do you know if this really works??? my sister stole my vintage "MASH" tee and it was so comfy...and I was thinking about doing that to a few shirts that are too "new"...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-See my photography here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceylheureux/
-Visit my blog here: http://tinystarcreations.blogspot.com/
-Check out my zazzle site here:
http://www.zazzle.com/paper_airplane*
germygerms
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2004 04:40:45 PM »

I tried this a few days ago with my old light blue tee. It's still not dry yet but the bleach turned it white. It also might be because of the fact I changed the proportions. I used about 3 cups of water, 1/2 cup of salt and a little bit of bleach.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snazziness
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2004 08:15:14 PM »

:othis is crazy lol i read about this in ym too! im kinda afraid to try it... worried about ruining a fav tee, and i really dont have the patience to wait! please post how well it turns out- i really wanna kno! oh try to post a pic if u can!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eggo my leggo
Stephsthename
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2004 09:14:16 PM »

Not sure...i'm going to buy a shirt at the thrift store to test it on...i don't think the bleach is a great idea either....i would try the normal fade myself Smiley Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stargirl52
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2004 10:52:20 PM »

With jeans, you can attack them w/ sandpaper, razors and cheese graters, then use some of the rock salf etc methods in here 2 fade them!
I have never done it, but it sounds like fun!
***georgia***
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want your lungs to stop working without me.

http://georgianess.livejournal.com
eva stars
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2004 11:53:31 PM »

Inspired by this topic, I decided to try something out for myself. I mixed 6 c. water with 1/2 c. rock salt and just a metric glug and a half of bleach. I took a navy blue shirt and folded it from the bottom up like an accordian and secured with two rubber bands. I left the shirt to soak oustide in the bowl for 4-5 hours. When I came back, the folded-in bands were less bleached than the folded-out bands, creating a striped bleachy look (as seen on expensive jeans I've seen). The fabric was definitely thinner and drained of quite a bit of color. I was surprised that some posts were suggesting 2 days, as 4-5 hours resulted in quite a dramatic difference. I'm quite pleased with the results and glad I gave it a try. If i can get some good pictures once the shirt's completely dry, I'll post them.

P.S. What's the purpose of the rock salt? I don't find that it particularly wears anything away, as it either ionizes in the water or settles to the bottom. If anyone's got a hypothesis, the chemist here would appreciate it ^_^.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cawfeehowse
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2004 12:20:38 AM »

I've heard that to turn bright white curtains into a dirtier ivory you soak them in tea.  Maybe you can do the same with tee shirts?

P.S.  Does anyone know where I can find some cool looking vintage/retroish tee shirts?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon XSi/450D Getting Started: Part 2 - Basic Picture
Canon XSi/450D Getting Started: Part 1 - Setup
Canon SD770 IS: Set White Balance Function
Canon SD770 IS: Set Underwater Function
Canon SD770 IS: Set Timer Function
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...