A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
767 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Various Techniques for Making T-Shirts/Clothes Look & Feel Vintage  (Read 92393 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

constants

benevolent misanthrope

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 15, 2009 02:51:08 PM »

I used to dip paper into tea to give it an antique look. It should work with plain white fabric too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beggar master
« Reply #201 on: April 18, 2009 06:26:16 PM »

is there a way to make a new shirt or "thick" for that matter.. like the paper thing vintage style most thrift store shirts are..

obviously i know its years of repetitive washing and abuse. but i just always enjoyed the feel of that paper thin vintage feel.. and was wondering if there are any cool d.i.y. techniques on how to make them so.

thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #202 on: April 21, 2009 01:27:49 PM »

I just skipped to the last page because last time I read a thread that was more than 10 pages, it took two days to get through it Tongue

Well, I pondered and pondered about how to make a newish shirt more vintage-feeling (thin and worn). The only thing I can think of that would be REALLY effective is to get a rock tumbler, put some river-pebbles and water in there with the shirt and leave it to spin for 2 days. Cuz like, you can't put rocks in your dryer Tongue

Another method would be to go buy some second-hand sneakers/running shoes, wash them in the washing machine to get em nice and clean (cuz you're not gonna wear these, right?), then toss your shirt in the wash with them. Then toss them in the dryer with the shoes and some tennis balls. Then back into the washer with the shoes. Then back into the dryer with the shoes and balls. Etc, etc.

I honestly think the rock tumbler would be WAY more effective, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xanclothing
« Reply #203 on: August 01, 2009 06:28:25 AM »

Thanks for the replies.  The process definitely involves bleach, and salt water sounds promising as well.  And yes, you need a cotton-poly blend.  I discovered that when I looked at the tags of all my most comfy vintage tees--they're all 50/50 rather than 100% cotton.  So I've got a bunch of blank 50/50s, now I just need to figure out how to scorch/bleach the cotton fibers, I guess... I searched for the Style Network piece but their website is garbage...

Guess I'll just have to do some experimenting!

What about enzyme wash or stone wash that really makes the product look really vintage and old look effect
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cyrano
« Reply #204 on: November 13, 2009 02:26:56 AM »

I haven't cracked the way of making a T really feel old BUT I bought  brilliant Paint Me 35% cotton/65% polyester T's in the USA in summer and have been printing them using Paint Me paints. These are sold in Paint Your Own pottery studios in the states. Apparently they are in the UK too but I haven't seen them here. The Ts are very soft and quite thin.I think the polyester content helps give them a really nice hang. Paint Me paints  fab fabric paints which you paint onto paper and then transfer to the T-shirt using an iron. Because you paint on the paper first you  can get just the look you want before you print. You can do really washed out designs by diluting the paints and, even better, you can print the same design twice or three time and each time it gets a more faded, vintage look. The paint instructions say you can use the paints on any polyester fabric or polyester mix. I've used them to decorate bags too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
princessBio
« Reply #205 on: September 18, 2010 09:44:57 PM »

I need to make a men's dress shirt look well-worn. You know how they sit on a person when they have been worn so much that they have turned super-soft and comfortable?

I can't seem to find anything beyond making a brand-new shirt slightly more comfortable, and I don't think that advice of "spray it with water and then put it in the dryer" will quite do it for me. Not to mention I have to pay 1.65 each time I use the dryer so I don't just want to do it until it works Tongue

Some of my ideas involve soaking it in something like white vinegar, or sanding it with a super-fine sanding paper, are those maybe things that will work?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soorawn
« Reply #206 on: September 20, 2010 10:57:47 AM »

The sanding paper will work.  It will also manage to make your super-soft, comfortable shirt have a very short life span.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
princessBio
« Reply #207 on: September 22, 2010 08:20:52 AM »

Yeah I figured. That was why I was looking for better advice, but it is my plan for if I cannot find any other way. It is a thrifted shirt and won't be needed a whole lot, so it probably isn't that big of a deal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soorawn
« Reply #208 on: September 22, 2010 10:01:20 AM »

Anything you do to that effect will debilitate the fibers of your garment.  But if it is not an issue, try bleach (the one for colours if it isn't a white shirt); leave the shirt in a mixture of water and bleach for a couple of days and see.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
cbeeson
« Reply #209 on: January 26, 2011 11:09:43 AM »

1. For jeans, the girl who posted to use a razor blade is correct, razor blades work great.  You can slice the bottom of hem in different places so it ravels when you wash it also and make little slices on the corners of the back pockets.  Those little details help jeans look vintage.  Don't know about the 50/50, salt, bleach or any of those methods.
2.  Tshirt:  Off the shoulder is very 80's -- think Flashdance (1983)!  Here is what you do: 1) iron the t-shirt really well; 2) lay it on a flat surface; 3) cut off the edge of each sleeve just about the hem stitching so that you have a raw edge; 3) cut out around the neck band.  I recommend starting just below it, under the stitching because you can always make it bigger, but can't go back if you do too much.  4) try it on.  If the neck isn't scooped enough, take it off and widen the neck by cutting more. Try it on every time after you cut until you get where you want to be. 

Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Emmy Submission: The Future Of Us
Top Collectors Suffer Art-Fair Fatigue
Man Protests Museum By Destroying $1 Million Vase
5 Things You Never Knew About Scrabble
Performa 13 Shingerview: RoseLee Goldberg
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...