A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,575
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Keep off the Grass! (planter)  (Read 3695 times)
Tags for this thread: planter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Laamissa
« on: June 18, 2004 02:59:40 PM »

I have always thought about this project and finally did it!
The pot is a tag sale find. 
All you do is fill w dirt, seeds, water and in a week youll have your very own grass planter!
It is so soft to run your hands over too!

I am going to be moving to a city apartment later this summer and this is going to be my ode to suburbia! (and how much everyone is INTO their lawns there)
Gotta stay true to my roots...(get it ha ha ha)

There is something so satisfying about having grass growing in a pot!!

After this project sprouted I was thinking about what else I could grow grass in.   I am thinking of contructing a square flat tray and growing grass out on the fire escape (that would be so fun!!)
I think it would still allow for safe exit if there was an emergency b/c it would just be like a "carpet" thick tray.
(Then I realized I too secretly have the "suburban grass bug" in me!!)

Hope you like...~M
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*D.I.Y or BUST!*~

www.Pumpky.etsy.com
iqjones
Who's house? Run's house!

Trying to keep it gold...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004 03:08:11 PM »

That's awesome-- both the idea & the container. I think it'd be funny to grow grass inside of a vase.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All the goo we use, reviewed!
http://brainybeautys.blogspot.com
weRnotALONE
The All Powerful Zippy

yumm... talking muffins...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004 03:09:37 PM »

LOL that's great.

You'll have to go out on your fire escape and mow your lawn every once in a while. I'd pay to see someone on a fire escape, maticuously cutting every single peice of grass to the right height,whinning about when it is time to put down manure...

You should find some dndelions and put them in there too. I seem to be the only one who loves dandelions. A drive through suburbia when everyone is poisoning them makes me sad inside.  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes.
mamabunnycat
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004 10:08:17 PM »

i went to the pet store today and they had planted grass for dogs.. i guess for them to chew on or something? its weird.  i think this was it...

http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?sku=6982855005&dept_id=%2D2
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Brae_Day
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004 10:24:13 PM »

I have a friend who had an older Montero in highschool... it had cow seat covers and when he got a new car, (a Focus,) he grew grass in the whole floor of the Montero! 

He found some tutorial somewhere on growing grass in cars... it IS doable, and it looked awesome!  He didn't keep it up though, and it has since died.  But I think that'd be so fun in like and old VW bus.

So having grass on the fire escape is definately something that can be done and I think oh so worth it! I love the feel of grass under my bare feet.  I say go for it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wootwoot

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2004 01:13:35 AM »

Did anyone see the grass couch in Readymade?  I saw it on the site, so maybe it's still there.  I think it's a pretty big undertaking, but it would be hilarious on someone's apartment balcony.  I want one so bad, but I'm living with my aunt and my uncle and trying to finish school, so it's going to have to wait. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

quarkiegirl

Keep it loose, keep it tight.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2004 11:03:55 AM »

i love this idea! it's one of those things i've been meaning to do for a while, but your picture may have finally motivated me to do it! i love plants, but tend to kill them, but with grass i can just put down more seeds. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spitbubbleluv
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2004 08:05:22 PM »

What kind of grass seed did you use?   Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Merrikat
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2004 07:59:24 AM »

There is a van here in Chicago that grows grass from the roof top.  When it drives around, the grass waves in the wind.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AutuMn NicOle
Hi

I'm a guinea pig! Wheek!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2004 09:05:06 AM »

i went to the pet store today and they had planted grass for dogs.. i guess for them to chew on or something? its weird.  i think this was it...

OOOH Neat! My dog EATS grass just to eat it! I heard they do it when they have an upset tummy but he just goes out there and eats it! Maybe I should buy him some of that stuff, but knowing him, if i bought it, he wouldn't eat it  Tongue

Back on topic...........Would the grass cause a fire hazard on your fire escape?( http://www.polkonline.com/stories/030400/sta_grass-hazard.shtml ) I still think thats a neat idea! You could sit out at night, on your lawn!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RescueToaster
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2004 06:27:39 PM »

There is a van here in Chicago that grows grass from the roof top.  When it drives around, the grass waves in the wind.

THat's the coolest thing ever! Why have I never seen this van?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So where are you? my little needle.
The stack's been burned away.
ookpik

everything is so neat!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2004 12:29:31 PM »

hooray! i love lawns in weird spots. that was what my crew took to burning man the couple of times we made the journey (it's a loooong drive from here).

i think it would be fabulous to have a mini-lawn instead of an area rug in the living room, or to line all your window sills with lawn. you really do have to put some effort into it to keep it looking nice though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's no such thing as too much information, so: All About My Vagina
Laamissa
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2004 06:17:35 AM »

Grass Monteros! Grass couches! Grass vans! Grass Area rugs!  Ahhh! I Love it!
I'm so glad to see all these cool ideas for grass!

Spitbubble:  I used a mixture of seeds....but I do know that one of the bags was kentucky blue grass (we had small bits in the shed here and there)

Has anyone ever planted wheat grass?  Ive seen trays of it at juice bars and have wondered if I could do that too!  I dont think that they use dirt though...I think it might be a hydroponic??
(anyone ever try wheat grass juice....wow is that stuff intense!)         ~M

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*D.I.Y or BUST!*~

www.Pumpky.etsy.com
lucy_uk
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2004 06:53:41 AM »

thats really cool! Are there any drainage holes in the pot?
I am thinking of doing one as a dining table centre peice! Thanks for the idea  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Coming soon.... Gorgeous modern handmade greeting cards & other goodies...
http://www.dottyrocks.com
ookpik

everything is so neat!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2004 07:14:42 PM »

wheat grass is super easy to sprout, but since it really is wheat, you have to replace it fairly often to keep it nice and green and short. you can sprout it on dirt or on damp soil-less mix or whatever. you can do the same with oats or rye or any grain. you can even grow rice in a bucket! (i went through a phase where i was obsessed with growing staple crops.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's no such thing as too much information, so: All About My Vagina
SarahFroggy
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2004 09:59:50 PM »

aww now i want grass in my downtown apartment love the windowsill idea :)maybe it will scare away the yucky downtown dirt that likes the windowsill Tongue can't be wheat grass though. every time i think of it, it remind me of the sex and the city episode..hmmm..hehe Tongue might have to bug my dad for some of the plain lawn stuff out of their garage
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Merrikat
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2004 04:44:25 AM »

Rescue Toaster- The van is usually around Addison and Broadway.  In Boystown/Wriggleyville.  I have always thought it was so refreshing to look at while waiting for the bus.  Unfortunately I have never seen the owner.  I would give that person a big pat on the back for beautifing  the neighborhood...or at leat the bus stop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
George Hamilton Reveals Where He Would Like to Be
Meet Author Jodi Picoult
Lisa Lutz Reveals Her Motto
Lisa Lampanelli Bares All
Stephen McCauley Talks About Insignificant Others
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...