A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,566
Currently Running With Scissors:
488 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Good-Luck Not-Pocket-Sized Shrine (GLNPSS) for Long Distance BF (V. Image Heavy)  (Read 1524 times)
Tags for this thread: name  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DorkasaurusRex
« on: January 30, 2006 09:49:52 AM »

My boyfriend of 2,200 miles away had a show on Sunday at a bar near his house, and he hasn't played out in a while, so I thought I'd make him something to let him know I wish I could have been there.  I was inspired by the pocket shrines I've seen on here, and his concert poster, which looks like this:

I liked the entomological theme and was originally planning on pinning everything into a box like they were bugs on display, but didn't like it once I'd layed everything out.  I used the butterflies though:

So I painted a wooden cigar box black and mod-podged the heck out of it.  You can tell I used glossy in the first pic.

These are a couple of little details.  I carved our initials onto the lower back corner of the box.  It reminds me of the animated Robin Hood, which we both grew up watching.  I also free-cut a shamrock and mixed the mod podge I used to secure it with the black acrylic to blend it in a little more.  It resides on the "binding" of the box.

We're inside!  All of the lucky "artifacts" that are collaged in the corner were all the things I was originally going to pin down like butterflies, evenly spaced, etc.  It looked bad.  Also, I bought it all on ebay, except for the wooden ladybugs, which I had laying around.  The horseshoe is cast iron and I got the four leaf clover in a lot of four from some guy in Akron who picks them in a park near his house.  The text is all quotes that pertain to music or talent, i.e.:

"God doesn't give people talents that he doesn't want people to use."
"Whatever you are by nature, keep to it; never desert your line of talent. Be what nature intended you for and you will succeed. "
"The talent of success is nothing more than doing what you can do well, and doing well whatever you do without thought of fame.  If it comes at all, it will come because it is deserved, not because it is sought after."

I pinned all of the quotes down with flathead pins.  Fortunately, I put two layers of cardboard underneath the blue velvet before I glued it down.  The envelope on the left is stenciled with a linear-ish horseshoe and held in by black photo corners and holds a little love letter to him.

Also, I was really proud of the lettering on the label.  I feel awkward posting his full name, but it's already on the poster and he's on myspace anyway (http://myspace.com/jamespeel2, the first song is a cover he recorded for me on my birthday).

Unfortunately, he didn't get it before his show (No thanks to the $22 I paid for express mail.  Next time I'm fed-exing).  He'll be getting it today, and hopefully it's still good late.  Also, the entire thing was constructed almost completely during Project Runway reruns.  Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006 10:03:59 AM by DorkasaurusRex » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Then he asked,"Lord, what about when there was one set of footprints on one side and also a straight line with bootprints on one side and small round circles on the other?" The Lord replied, "Those were when I carried you, and we were joined by a pirate pushing a wheelbarrow."
sugarkane
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006 10:06:11 AM »

I really love that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amaryllisroze
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006 12:09:23 PM »

This is really fantastic!

I'm trying to break free of my tiny sizes, but haven't quite gotten up the guts to try. I kind of like limitations they give me though...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

All of my photos are hosted at Flickr.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amaryllisroze/sets/

http://pinterest.com/aroze/

"she knew with the right amount of junk she could create a masterpiece" -- I'm still looking for the right amount of junk
DorkasaurusRex
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006 12:47:24 PM »

This is really fantastic!

I'm trying to break free of my tiny sizes, but haven't quite gotten up the guts to try. I kind of like limitations they give me though...

Thank you so much, Amaryllis.  That means a lot coming from you.  Honestly, I think giving myself that much room to work was more of a cop-out.  A shrine-type thing needs a more elegant simplicity to it, and if I'd tried harder and had more time, I probably could have weaned it down and condensed the meaning and personality of this into something smaller.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Then he asked,"Lord, what about when there was one set of footprints on one side and also a straight line with bootprints on one side and small round circles on the other?" The Lord replied, "Those were when I carried you, and we were joined by a pirate pushing a wheelbarrow."
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006 12:59:53 PM »

That is beautiful.  I'm forever in awe of the shrines that all you people make.  I'm certain that I'm just not crafty enough to do something as creative as a shrine.  (Yup, totally irrational.  I'm okay with that.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
amaryllisroze

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006 01:09:40 PM »

I'm in awe of those of you who can sew & knit...it seems like anything that has anything to do with yarn or fabric just falls apart in my hands. I've been re-covering my kitchen chairs for about a year & a half now.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"she knew with the right amount of junk she could create a masterpiece" -- I'm still looking for the right amount of junk
DorkasaurusRex
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006 11:23:47 PM »

Just for the sake of updates, he loved it, even though it was a day late ("I can see why you were so upset." Ha.) and the horseshoe came loose in transit.  He even asked me if he could show it off to some of his friends.  He was actually at lunch with a friend when he finally got a chance to open the box, and had to excuse himself to the bathroom after he read everything, but he didn't really need to use the bathroom.  He just liked it a lot.  I'm very happy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amaryllisroze

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006 07:58:46 AM »

Wahoooo! Good for you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn About Hawaii Regional Cuisine
How to Make ZipSauce Seafood
How to Make ZipSauce Chicken
How to Cook Steak With ZipSauce
How to Make ZipSauce Burgers
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...