A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 299,162
Currently Running With Scissors:
640 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting Pet Peeves  (Read 2168 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

charity
« on: January 30, 2006 12:01:07 AM »

I absolutely hate when I'm knitting with a brand new skein of yarn and all of the sudden, I see where two seperate strands have been joined together causing fibers to fray or fuzz at the point of joining. It always looks bad and seems weak enough that I could tug it apart.  I pay for good, strong yarn and that's what I should get.  Dammit.

What are your pet peeves? 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
bijouxmaster
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006 12:55:44 PM »

maybe mine is a "other knitter" pet peeve, but mine is when other knitters try to get me to knit like them.  I hate that!  There's more than one way you single minded b***........
THIS ROCKS   Logged

subloke
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006 01:04:31 PM »

When I get excited to knit a pattern in a magazine that i PAID for and the pattern/chart/whatever has not been proofread and/or test knit.  ARGH. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
Nymeria
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006 02:02:56 PM »

I hate yarn snobs. I love to work with nice, expensive yarns as much as the next person but sometimes the ol' budget just doesn't allow that. Not to mention there are some really fun/pretty/funky gems in the $1.99 bin at JoAnn's. Don't knock 'em til you try 'em people!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006 02:22:10 PM »

I hate trying to pull the end out of a center pull ball, and instead getting this barf-glob consisting of half the skein. 

I know I have more; I'll post 'em as I think of 'em.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
Inara
I am cute little bunny. I pose no threat to society

It's hard to work in groups when you're omnipotent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006 02:25:49 PM »

lace patterns.  I've been knitting for something like 17 years, and all I can ever manage is a simple eyelet pattern.    I've knitted fully shaped teddy bears and dice in one piece, intarsia, fair-isle, cables, socks out the wazoo, design my own sweaters, but lace completely and totally kicks my butt.  Angry  Not that I'm going to stop trying, mind you - it's a good excuse to keep buying more knitting books  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sleep beckons. Also waves. Also makes threatening gestures and hops up and down until I notice. - Neil Gaiman

http://effulgentstudios.etsy.com
http://inara-knits.blogspot.com
americandemockracy

Misanthropic, you got it.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006 02:28:50 PM »

Knotted yarn.  Or yarn that won't unwind... especially when you're on the bus and it can't go on the ground.

And here's a cute one- I was at SAGA last week and I was knitting.  I had to keep stoppingto unwind my yarn and then Alex, who is normally a ginormous pain in the arse, told me that he'd take care of it and sat with my yarn in his lap for the next hour, unwinding it as I needed it.

*cute ohhhh noises*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://javastain.etsy.com is now open!

Come check us out for period goodness!
GroggyFroggy
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006 02:33:20 PM »

I hate trying to pull the end out of a center pull ball, and instead getting this barf-glob consisting of half the skein. 

I know I have more; I'll post 'em as I think of 'em.

Thank you for saying this. I thought I was just doing it wrong!

My pet peeve is with myself. No matter how "loose" I start out, I end up with a death-grip on my needles and stitches so tight I can't move them down. grrrr
THIS ROCKS   Logged

charity
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006 02:42:29 PM »

Mohair - for being so darn impossible to work with and for looking so pretty in the store that I buy it when I know good and well that I just make fuzzy balls of knots with it. 

Damn you. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftykate
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006 09:41:46 AM »

maybe mine is a "other knitter" pet peeve, but mine is when other knitters try to get me to knit like them.  I hate that!  There's more than one way you single minded b***........

Oh I second this one. I love meeting other knitters. It's fun to chat about a project or yarn with someone. I went to this long weekend conference though, where I met another knitter who followed me aroundconstantly. She kept questioning why I was doing things and then telling me, "oh, well I would do it like this. But don't worry yours might work too." I was working on my hundredth pair of socks. I knew it was going to work. I didn't need advice. You want to chat about your favorite sock yarn or worst knitting disaster. I'm game. You want to give me lots of unsolicited advice? No thanks. the kicker was when after two days of this she tells me, "I thought about bringing my knitting but I didn't think I'd have time for it. Now I wish I had because I could have learned to make socks with you. I've never made any." What?!?! You've been telling me what I should be doing for days now and you've never even made a pair of socks?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftykate.etsy.com

Yep, it's a knit blog
http://craftykate-knits.blogspot.com/

wanna trade? I heart personal swaps.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Robin McGraw’s Surprise
Revelation Makeover Reveal
Robin’s Revelation Spa Treatment
A Special Beauty Offer from HSN
How To Get The Perfect Eyebrows
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...