A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,545
Currently Running With Scissors:
709 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wrist Pain from Knitting?  (Read 1122 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

samuraikiss
« on: January 29, 2006 06:52:07 PM »

I just taught myself to knit this weekend, so I've been working on my first project -- a scarf -- for about 3-4 hours each day. It's so relaxing! But my wrist has started to hurt... Am I doing something wrong? What can I do about it? By the way, I'm an English knitter. I mean, I knit in the English style, but I'm American from the colonies.

That's my scarf after Day 1. It's currently Day 3, so imagine it three times that length! I'm making it out of Wool-Ease Chunky. I've absolutely fallen in love with the color and texture. Wow, I'm gushing about yarn...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006 07:23:28 PM by samuraikiss » THIS ROCKS   Logged
beans
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006 07:30:25 PM »

Knitting is like anything else- you need to stop for a break every hour or so. It helps to stretch a bit, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
theresa24

You can never have enough yarn...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006 07:30:26 PM »

What size needles are you using?
If you are knitting to tight it might be causing some of the problems.

I try to stop every could of rows and shake and strech my hands.
I've over done it more than once....you will learn how to pace your self.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittnkitten
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006 07:33:52 PM »

I've knit the English way for the last 5 years. I recently taught myself Continental and I can't believe the difference! I don't get wrist pain the way I used to. Learning Continental can be tricky, especially after doing it the English way, but I'd recommend trying.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Inara
I am cute little bunny. I pose no threat to society

It's hard to work in groups when you're omnipotent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006 08:34:28 PM »

Like any activity, it helps to stretch first - I learned this the hard way from hideous blue book essay finals in college - nothing like writing longhand for two straight hours Wink.  Just google 'wrist exercises', and it should give you some good ideas.  Also, keep your posture in mind - I've had a couple of problems with wrist pain that actually turned out to be from strained muscles in my shoulders or upper back (very thankful my doctor actually checked instead of just sending me in for carpal tunnel surgery like some of my co-workers)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sleep beckons. Also waves. Also makes threatening gestures and hops up and down until I notice. - Neil Gaiman

http://effulgentstudios.etsy.com
http://inara-knits.blogspot.com
Neveth
Rated PG-13 for language and mild peril.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006 12:20:14 AM »

Another vote for taking breaks. During the Christmas rush to get presents done I managed to give myself a serious bout of carpal tunnel - fingertips were numb & tingly, wrist hurt like all heck, and maintaining a grip on anything with that hand was extremely painful. Bought a brace and didn't knit for a couple weeks (was nearly crazy by the end, heh) and it's fine. Now I try and make sure I stop and take breaks, and if I'm around him my boyfirend tells me to take breaks more often than I remember to on my own.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jane feebles
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006 01:27:18 AM »

having a tea break every now and then serves 3 purposes: it makes you stop, you get to have a refreshing cup of tea, and nursing the warm cup is very nice on sore hands  Smiley
You can also do this awesome stretch a dance teacher showed me. 
Stand next to a wall, so your shoulder's facing it. Reach out to the wall till your arm is straight across from your shoulderand place your hand flat on the wall with fingers spread and the thumb up, then twist away from the wall.
It feels soooooooo good, it stretches all the way from your shoulder to your thumb
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do you stitch? Do you bitch? Do you live in BrisVegas?? http://brisbanesnb.wordpress.com/

sighing, she stared wist-fully across the crowded buffet table
PurpleHeather
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006 02:44:15 AM »

Make sure you give yourself breaks, and try not to knit too tightly.  I started knitting recently, and I found that I was putting a tug after each stitch, so my tension was very tight - I've stopped doing that now, and things are a lot better.

http://www.mydailyyoga.com/yogaindex.html has exercises for people who type a lot - you may find some of these are good to use in knitting breaks.

Congratulations on the scarf as well, and yarn is addictive, isn't it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

starlette13
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006 03:07:31 AM »

i'm a music major, and piano majors OFTEN get wrist pains - severe ones. it's the same type you get when knitting (from my experience anyway)
what our teachers tell us to do is stop before you get them badly and do a completely different workout for your wrists - eg, go lift free weights in the gym, play a joystick game, etc... it helps  work out the other muscles in your hands/wrists and really does wonders

one of my favourite things to do is go kayaking - your hands are used but your arms do most of the work... if you don't have access to that, another option is doing some yoga or dance - paying careful attention to the line in your arms and the fluidity of your wrists/hands

i swear it works.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rosecomet

Que papi chulo!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006 06:43:48 AM »

I see that you're using straight needles with a sort of chunky yarn. That could be the main reason your wrists are hurting because the needle with the chunky yarn adds the weight to the wrists. If you start using cirlcular, then the weight of it will be less.  Also if you use a wrist bandage, it will help keep the wrist steady....I hope this info helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Author Harold Holzer Discusses Lincoln President-Elect
Whispered Lies Book Trailer
Tom Pelphrey on Playing Jonathan Randall in Guiding Light
Mary-Ann Tirone Smith Discusses Girls of Tender Age
James Scurlock Discusses His Book Maxed Out
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...