A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,794
Currently Running With Scissors:
787 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: gallery etiquette for lousy swap item?  (Read 23825 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2006 04:05:57 PM »

how about when a swap partner puts totally no thought intop a swap package and just buys a bunch of stuff to send you.....this happened to me in a swap and it was very dissapointing......

I you were disappointed, you should notify your swap organizer, or you can PM any one of the Swap Moderators directly if ya like.  Ya can PM any of us & it will get to where it needs to go Smiley

I don't think it would be considered flaking (someone mentioned this earlier today I believe), as they did send a package and you did receive it.  They may have had an emergency or something, but none the less, if you let your organizer know and/or us, we can investigate and see what happened.  It's not like they will be banned from swapping or anything crazy, but it might be something that's noted in their feedback.  Or, we might find out that that's ALL they have ever done in their swaps, but that's a whole other can of worms we deal with.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2006 04:10:55 PM »

I see that someone raised a related issue that I was wondering myself. Do many organizers try to pair newbies with newbies, experienced swappers with the same, etc.? or not? I am organizing my first swap and decided to pair partners based on matching what they could make/what they wanted. (i.e. Boobooboo knits and wants art, Loolooloo paints and wants knitting, so I matched them up). I didn't take into account their swap experience, figuring that a new swapper was not necessarily an inexperienced craftster.

It's to the organizer's personal preference.  I know some that pair based on experience in crafting, some by talents, some by experience in crafting & talents Smiley  To base on experience in crafting, I would imagine takes some stalking and/or additional questions & work for that organizer, but if they are up to it...more power to them Smiley

As far as basing on experience in swapping, I don't think I've ever run across that, but I'm sure that there are some out there that do that.  Your logic is the same as mine though... it may be their first swap, but that doesn't mean they are inexperienced to crafting itself.  In that case, Leah would be "inexperienced."  Tee hee!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
AWynkoop
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2006 06:35:58 AM »

wow! Quite a few of you have made valid points regarding the various skill levels of Craftsters...I for one look at a swap from a  "It is better to give than receive" point of view. Do y'all only give 'good' Christmas-or whatever holiday you celebrate-presents to people you know will give you a 'good' one in return? I would hope not. I tend to give people the benefit of doubt, after all why would someone join a swap if they thought all their creations were lousy? Remember KARMA people...those that send half-assed packages on purpose will eventually get what is coming to them...

oh yeah, Always say thank you! would you dare tell your Granny that you thought the hat she made you for your birthday was a 'lousy' gift or not even thank her at all? (Yeah I know it is not quite the same thing, but after all we are all people and we all have feelings.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would like to swap my knits (or amigurumi stuffies) for your handmade journal...pm me!

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.~Winston Churchill
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2006 07:30:15 AM »

First let me say that I have had two wonderful swap experiences, knock on wood. I would always thank a person for a GIFT.  And, I think the Unconditional Swaps mean exactly that--you swap with no intention of getting anything back and whatever is sent is generally appreciated by all, which is way kewl!

But in other swaps, isn't it more like a trade of your crafts for another person's crafts? Enlightment me if this is not what the swap rules seem to state...Having FEELINGS also means that disappointment is valid when you have worked your ass off to make something and you get back what APPEARS to be not as thought out...

I don't think anyone on this thread is a greedy "craft monger"--and where else is it safe to voice your feelings in a site that appears to be nonjudgemental and supportive?

BTW--my nana was a lousy gift giver, but she taught me everything I know about crafting so, the balance in the world scheme of things is preserved--ha ha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BlooCanoe

Pit knitters unite!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2006 07:56:00 AM »

I see that someone raised a related issue that I was wondering myself. Do many organizers try to pair newbies with newbies, experienced swappers with the same, etc.? or not? I am organizing my first swap and decided to pair partners based on matching what they could make/what they wanted. (i.e. Boobooboo knits and wants art, Loolooloo paints and wants knitting, so I matched them up). I didn't take into account their swap experience, figuring that a new swapper was not necessarily an inexperienced craftster.

It's to the organizer's personal preference.  I know some that pair based on experience in crafting, some by talents, some by experience in crafting & talents Smiley  To base on experience in crafting, I would imagine takes some stalking and/or additional questions & work for that organizer, but if they are up to it...more power to them Smiley

As far as basing on experience in swapping, I don't think I've ever run across that, but I'm sure that there are some out there that do that.  Your logic is the same as mine though... it may be their first swap, but that doesn't mean they are inexperienced to crafting itself.  In that case, Leah would be "inexperienced."  Tee hee!

Thanks sweets! that's good to know I was on the right track.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have you hugged your mod today? Smiley

"What I need.... is some wool." (Miss Marple)
Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2006 09:12:22 AM »

I don't think anyone on this thread is a greedy "craft monger"

I am.   Cheesy
No, really, I'm quite pleased to receive things that are "beginner" projects or things that don't turn out as expected.  (I know I send my share.)

I second the "gift" comment.  I'm sure there's a place online for "gift" swaps, but there's definitely a distinction between that and a "craft" swap.  I think there needs to be a line somewhere to define what is or is not an acceptable swap package.  "Putting something in the mail and sending it" just isn't it.  What if somebody chucks the swap theme entirely?  Would it be okay if somebody signed up for a sci-fi swap and sent a box full of crocheted cross bookmarks?  Or if somebody sent a family of Martian stuffies for a Christian-themed swap?  In the same vein, would it be acceptable to send a plastic Target Easter basket, some Butterfinger eggs, and a bendable plastic bunny from the Dollar Spot as a package for a "Craft My Easter" swap?   Not on Craftster.  Gifts are gifts, and can be extras if people choose.  But the point of a craft swap is to share what we make with each other.  I'd hate to see people get turned off swapping because they feel they're flagrantly being taken advantage of.

Two more cents from me.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2006 09:15:47 AM »

I might have to swear off swapping. I just found out that my post office lost ANOTHER swap package! That is 5 swap packages that they have lost! I don't even know if I'm getting packages from my partners or not, let alone lousy ones!  Cry This is so frustrating!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Guess who's back?
Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2006 09:56:19 AM »

I have noticed that any package I get a delivery confirmation number on (and watch the guy behind the counter *scan* before he drops it in the "out" bin) or get a return receipt on tends to not get lost.

The box of stuff I sent one of my near brothers when he was in training in California skipped three *countries* (hitting a differant Army base each time) before comming back to me (and I'd moved *twice* in the interim)  He got his stuff the second time around in about a week (he's in Bosnia now) because I stuck a return receipt on it (with all the food stuff swapped for new and some new stuff added)

He wrote back wanting to know why I return receipted it and I told him.  he said his Commending officer did a face plant into his desk (complete with an "Oh JESUS!" remark.) when he heard.

But I'm in Austin, not *that* far from you and all.  Have you thought about going to a different post office?  Five is rather a bit much...

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2006 09:58:44 AM »

They're not losing the ones I send. They are losing the ones I'm supposed to get! I just got 2 packages that were mailed almost 2 months ago!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Guess who's back?
Fortune_32

Crafty as a fox!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2006 10:02:14 AM »

That sounds totally frustrating Teapotdnky! I've only ever had one package from ebay show up super late...
I'm not sure if it's an option, but maybe you could ask your next swap partner if they'd ship Fedex ground or UPS...? They both have much more detailed tracking info (I love spying on my packages, knowing they're "Out for delivery"!), but they can be pricier. I almosy insured my first swap package, and then my hiusband pointed out that even if something did happen, they'd probably only reimburse me for the supplies, not all the effort that went into crafting!

My sister had a really bad first swap expierience, and doesn't really swap anymore because of it... I feel bad, because my working theory is that those kinds of people only comprise a fraction of the population, and you can't let them become representative of the crafting community as a whole. I'd guess though, for people who've had less than stellar swaps, that personal swaps, or ones they could choose what they want to craft/recieve would be much better avenues to recieving goodies that are special for them (in whatever that means, craft skill, theme, particular items wanted/not wanted, etc.)

I am a newbie swapper who's not really that new to sewing, I've knit so many scarves I can't even remember them all (LOL!), and I'm totally game for any new craft out there, I like a challenge. That being said, if my swap partner was dissapointed with something I sent them , I'd rather have the opportunity to fix it myself by sending something else, than them just keeping those feelings to themselves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jeannette Walls Unveils Her New Novel Half Broke Horses
T.D. Jakes Talks About the Memory Quilt
Author Kathleen Grissom Gives Some Advice to Writers
Caroline Myss Talks About Her Teachings
Laurie Abraham Reveals Her Favorite TV Show
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...