A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
540 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Plus sized bras  (Read 9901 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rbeforee
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2006 12:49:03 AM »

Maybe so..  Those are the ones that come in the boxes right?  They're stored in like a big cabinet in the underwear section at WalMart, I think..  I've been avoiding those as I've been in denial about my big ol' boobies for years.  I really should check it out.  As it is, I wear a bra as little as possible (bra goes on as I go out the door, comes off right when I come back in) which kills my back, but is still more comfotable than any bra I have.   Tongue
Yes, the boxes in the drawer racks. I often have to remove the bra at stoplights on the way home LOL I also get lazy and wear the tank tops with the shelf... not much support. but also not much binding. My goal is always fewer seams.... maybe we can needle felt bras so there are no seams? Not sure how successful I would be at making a mold, but maybe that plaster moldmaking stuff ? LOL The molds could be a scary thing! Step One, fill bucket with plaster of paris. Step Two: apply vaseline, lean over and dip yourself in. Step Three: wait. Step Four: pull! Fwap!! Repeat for other side. Then you could make erotic wall sculptures a la Bill Mack.

Hmmm, maybe I'll just stick to the JMS 1106.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Optimization hinders evolution.
distimica
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2006 07:59:36 AM »

I know it's tough.

But you guys should really see what goes on here in Brazil before complaining. The concept of band-size x cup size never really caught on here. Bras are sold in more or less the same way as pants - 38, 40, 42 wich would be in the States 6, 7, 8 and so on. Cup sizes are a matter of style or lack of - the larger the uglier.

I am not even plus size and I have tried dozens of bras in the last visit I made to the store only to pick one that fits one of my breasts. Fitting services are another concept that never was fully understood here.

My mother is plus sized and now she is reduced to using what I call band-aids. Those ugly as hell beige body armours, because they are the only ones that can fit and hold her breasts. Bras only cut her back and never fit entirely the breasts - even the uglier.

I am in dread, because my two - yes, two - bras are old and decaying and soon I must give some BIG store another visit and try another few dozend bras. I just hope to find one that can fit both breasts at once.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eenodol
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2006 01:48:10 PM »

Yes, the boxes in the drawer racks. I often have to remove the bra at stoplights on the way home LOL I also get lazy and wear the tank tops with the shelf... not much support. but also not much binding. My goal is always fewer seams.... maybe we can needle felt bras so there are no seams? Not sure how successful I would be at making a mold, but maybe that plaster moldmaking stuff ? LOL The molds could be a scary thing! Step One, fill bucket with plaster of paris. Step Two: apply vaseline, lean over and dip yourself in. Step Three: wait. Step Four: pull! Fwap!! Repeat for other side. Then you could make erotic wall sculptures a la Bill Mack.

Hmmm, maybe I'll just stick to the JMS 1106.

Hehe.. sometimes I wear those tank tops when I get lazy, too.. But they look terrible becaise they give me one big squished boob  Cheesy  I started out last years Bonnaroo wearing one of those.. It didn't even last the whole first day!  I ended up just pulling my long skirt up to above my boobs and safety pinning it in the back so it wouldn' look so sacklike.  Not the most attractive thing to wear, especially without a bra.. But it was so comfortable!  Even though I didn't have any pockets I ended up carrying everything that we didn't nessasarily want security to see it what everyone called my "boob pockets."  Basically I stuck everything under my boobs.  And it stayed.  Oh  it stayed just fine! Grin

Distimica- I too only have two bras, one black and one white.  Same exact style and size.  I used to have a strapless bra.. But i lost it Sad  Anyway, maybe you could try ordering a few bras over the internet?  I'm sure you could find some not so expensive ones incase the sizing isn't quite right.  After all this talk about the JUst My Size bras, I looked them up figureing they would be expensive, but they're not!  They seem to be under $12 dollars.  Which is much better than the 40 - 50 I usually spend!  Especially if they fit!  Of course, I don't know how much shipping to Brazil would be.. The sizing there seems crazy though..  I can't even begin to comprehend..  Just having to eyeball all the bras to see if you should even try them on?  *shudder*  Good luck finding a new one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my etsy - home of the cat hat!  also dog hats, amigurumis, crochet patterns, hippie clothes, all kinds of good stuff!  check it out Smiley

My new blog.  Crochet, recipes, whatever.
Moosiemoma
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2006 06:39:21 PM »

Check it out. Bra blog! http://bra-makers.blogspot.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
distimica
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2006 07:25:18 AM »

Distimica- I too only have two bras, one black and one white.  Same exact style and size.  I used to have a strapless bra.. But i lost it Sad  Anyway, maybe you could try ordering a few bras over the internet?  I'm sure you could find some not so expensive ones incase the sizing isn't quite right.  After all this talk about the JUst My Size bras, I looked them up figureing they would be expensive, but they're not!  They seem to be under $12 dollars.  Which is much better than the 40 - 50 I usually spend!  Especially if they fit!  Of course, I don't know how much shipping to Brazil would be.. The sizing there seems crazy though..  I can't even begin to comprehend..  Just having to eyeball all the bras to see if you should even try them on?  *shudder*  Good luck finding a new one!

I have checked Just My Size, and figured out what my size should be - a 30 DD. But they don't have anything that small. Now that I know best, I'll look online. $12 is pretty much what a cheap (but decent) bra costs in Brazil, I would be glad to pay some $10 extra for something that fits. Shipping here is not that expensive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chainsaw_mclusky
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2006 09:18:19 AM »

I just bought four of these bras from Lane Bryant on Saturday and I LOVE THEM!!!

http://lanebryant.charmingshoppes.com/Shopping/product.aspx?product_id=LBSR0017&nav=

I highly recommend them. I'm a 40DD and I require a lot of support and these bras really keep you in place all day. Plus the fact that these bras have convertible straps, so you can wear it strapless as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pawlaa
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2006 10:16:27 AM »

Well, I don't actually make bras, but I wear custom-fit bras that if need be can be altered to fit any body.  They are called Norvell Bras.

The bras go from 28A to 52 LL and everything in between.  The support is fabulous and there is no underwire!!!  WOOHOO!

Paula

« Last Edit: April 05, 2007 06:53:25 AM by retroeva » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lady Clare
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2006 10:25:52 PM »

Hi Ladies!

I am a 34J and it wasn't until this past year that I finally ended my bra shoping disasters.

YOU MUST BE PROFESSIONALLY FITTED! I can almost completely guarantee that you wear the wrong size. I *thought* I wore a 40 DDD last year- wrong! I always hated how uncomfortable my bras were, how they didn't support me- and how ugly they all were.

Then I found a great site ( http://breakoutbras.stores.yahoo.net/noname1.html )  They are fabulous!! They found my proper size just by measurements I sent of myself, and I got a beautiful bra (by fantasie of england- who I recently discovered also make swimsuits- which REALLY helps since buying those is worse than bras... they never have ANY support)
    My new bras were pretty! I hadn't ever had that happen. Now I won't buy anything else.. I discovered that the middle of your bra (right between your breasts) is actually supposed to lie flat against your chest wall (no more uniboob!) and that the straps aren't what is the main support, but the band (so no more big red strap marks!) I actually stay supported and if I run or jog they aren't flying all over.

Trust me, all your bra problems will be over- I was so amazed.. I mean, it made me look about 10lbs thinner too!

Lol- and now I am done sounding like an advertisement. Just please- give it a go. You can thank me later.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LMAshton
Kitchen Witch

Canada -> Sri Lanka -> New Zealand -> Singapore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2006 04:33:58 AM »

Assuming the bra fitter actually knows what she's doing.

I went to one just before I left Canada, and despite this being a specialty lingerie store, could not get ANY of the bras, supposedly in my size, to fit properly, she pronounced one as the "perfect fit".  The underwire did not lay flat against my ribcage like it's supposed to and the back rode up.  Uh, smaller band size and larger cup size, please.  Duh.  But they didn't carry anything that would fit me properly, so...  In the interest of making a sale...  And yes, she was experienced, not new, and had been trained, but of course there are the bad apples in every group.  It was just my day to find one.

I think it's more important for a person to read up about how it's supposed to fit and make sure it happens, with or without a "professional" fitter.  Empower yourself by educating yourself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pawlaa
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2006 07:46:38 PM »

Good for you for knowing how a bra is supposed to fit!!!

Actually, i feel all underwire bras will not fit or properly support ANY breast.  Think about it, a wire is 1/8 of an inch wide (if that).  how is that supposed to support a breast?  I think, the reason why it is in so many bras is because it makes the bra cheaper to produce.  They don't have to actually engineer the bra, they throw a wire in that holds its shape.  The problem is, that is the ONLY part of the bra that holds its shape.

If you bend over and the wire moves down from your breast, then the cup is too small.  Most women wear the wire below where the breast meets the body, or the wire will dig in on the side.  This can lead to lymphatic blockages - not a good thing!

Make sure the band sits right below your breasts (where they meet the body) and in back it should be lower or at the same height.  You should only be able to stick one hand under the band of the bra.  If you can stick two fists - the band is way too big.  The cups should fully encapsulate the breast.  Your breast should look smooth under your shirt.  You should not have any breast tissue under your arms - it should all be brought forward and into the cup.

Anyway, those are some fitting tips. If you have any other questions, feel free to email me.  I"m a professional bra fitter and have my own share of problems finding a bra that fits!!!

Paula

« Last Edit: April 05, 2007 06:54:05 AM by retroeva » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lucy Hawking Reveals Where She Would Like to Be
Terry Mort Talks About The Hemingway Patrols
Meet Author Carolyn Castleberry
D.J. MacHale Reveals Where He Would Like to Be
George Wendt Talks About Drinking with George
Latest Blog Articles
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...