A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,026
Currently Running With Scissors:
548 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Plus sized bras  (Read 10017 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LMAshton
Kitchen Witch

Canada -> Sri Lanka -> New Zealand -> Singapore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006 04:20:35 AM »

Hey, I'm checking these links out.  Thanks!  Cheesy

Er, it only does a corset, though, not bras.  Sad

Where I am, bras with underwire are not available for anything over a 36C because, and yes, this is an actual quote, "big breasts don't need underwire."  *rolls eyes*  People who are not educated about bras that fit properly can be...  exceedingly frustrating.

And the bras that do exist here exist for an entirely different body type...  One that has breast placement a lot closer together and higher up.  Which is appropriate for the very slim, very petite Asian body, but not at all appropriate for the body of one who is of European descent.

Anyway, if anyone has a source for bra patterns that can be downloaded, please let me know!  Patterns, as in commercial patterns, also do not exist here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creativehomemaker
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006 09:22:04 AM »

I've made a couple of my own bras.  It is a little complex, but it is easier once you figure it out and do a few.  I get my supplies mostly from Sew Sassy http://www.sewsassy.com/index.shtml  They have kits you can buy.  Most patterns have pretty good instructions.  There is a lot of hardware and elastic involved.   
Good luck,
Angie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Singlemom
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006 08:45:36 PM »

I've had this article bookmarked for a while, even though I haven't been brave enough to try it for myself: http://www.taunton.com/threads/pages/t00111.asp
It offers some good tips and fit solutions for custom-making your own bra. This site:
http://www.sewnews.com/library/sewnews/library/aafashbra.htm
also has clear, step-by-step instructions for making a new bra by using an old one as a pattern.

Hope this helps Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mommabear1963

Life is a Long Lesson in Humility"Isaac Asimov"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2006 04:32:07 AM »

singlemom, thank you so much.  And to the others also who have posted links and ideas.  I need to get on this. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

licalee
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2006 07:59:13 PM »

This is great! I want to cry when I go bra shopping because it takes longer than it would to make one. It shouldn't be hard to find a 38DD but it is, at least one that fits right. I was just thinking today that I should make my own. I'm just afraid that if I make one it will be even worse.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LMAshton
Kitchen Witch

Canada -> Sri Lanka -> New Zealand -> Singapore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2006 10:02:57 PM »

I live in Sri Lanka, a third world country that does not have bra making kits or commercial patterns of any kind.  Having such shipped here would easily triple the price, if it arrived at all, which is unpredictable at best.

Does anyone know of any online bra patterns for download or instructions on how you make your own bra pattern short of disassembling?  I've lost some weight and my existing bras don't quite fit right, which also makes it more difficult to use an existing one as a pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whitecalx
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2006 11:58:35 PM »

I might try this.  I wear a 40J and I'm nursing.  That means there is only one bra I can buy (although I think I can get a decent exposures for around $80) and they are around $40 and that's just too much.

My biggest beef is that for my size I don't need a lift and seperate - just the lift.   And they don't lift too well.

None of the patterns anyone has listed works for my size though.  I don't have any old enough to cut up so I think I'll try it when I do get some worn out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mommabear1963

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2006 06:53:06 AM »

I can see that whatever lucky lady does come up with an idea or pattern that we can craft our own bras, they will be a HERO (ESS).  I am like a 38 I and the new ones that I just got are so uncomfortable.  They help my back and my clothes look better, but sometimes I feel like I am in an iron corsett.  Ha Ha, too much time in the "you don't have to wear a bra if you don't want" crowd I guess.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Moosiemoma
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2006 06:55:34 AM »

I have been watching this bra thread and it raised my curiosity so I used my handy dandy search engine and found this  http://www.andsewitis.net/braclass/class_start.html
There is even a reconstruction lesson.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mommabear1963

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2006 07:53:13 AM »

yay how exciting. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Drag Style Face Makeup
Eyes and Eyebrows in Drag Style
How to Makeup a Cat Nose
How to Do Cat Eyelashes Makeup
How to Do Cat Eyes in Makeup
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...