A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 303,135
Currently Running With Scissors:
694 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Summer craft sale success?  (Read 1514 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: January 29, 2006 08:23:34 AM »

Hey- Just curious about summer craft sales. Are they successful? Do they draw crowds of buyers? Thanks, E.

Mel B.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006 07:09:38 AM »

Hey there, here are my thoughts on summer craft sales.

Never having done a craft fair before, I have two options for my first one in my town: a summer outdoor fair, fees are about $250, or a Christmas craft fair, indoor, fees are $150.

Several reasons why I would choose the Christmas fair over the summer one.

1.) Weather, indoor/outdoor facilities and obviously the much cheaper booth fees
2.) I have serious worries about the crowds at the summer one. I figure there might be three kinds of people who would present problems: a.) people who dont' splurge on crafts unless they have reasons like gift-giving and annual Christmas self-indulgence; b.) tourists/visitors to town, who do not have enough cash or room in their luggage for breakables/large items/unnecessary crafts; c.) people who are on vacation, gone camping, visiting friends in beautiful July, too busy celebrating Canada day to attend a craft show!

So I would give these factors some consideration, good luck, let us know what you decide.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006 08:48:31 AM »

I have a tent and I do summer shows.  They are some of my best shows.  I'm in the midwest and the opportunity to be outdoors is a big deal to folks here.  They show up by the 1000's for outdoor events. 

Many of the outdoor events have the same space fees as indoor events.  When given the choice of going to an outdoor event with 10,000 people vs. indoor event with 1000 people, which one do you think I will sign up for?  The higher the traffic count, the higher my sales.  I'm putting in a full days work, be in indoors or outdoors.

I'll take my chance with a little wind and rain.  I'll bypass a stuffy air-conditioned building for an outdoor show.  I'll load my set- up on my dolly and haul butt into a park insteady of fighting my way through three sets of doors. 

I do outdoor shows as late into the fall as I possibly can.  Some of the outdoor fall festivals (apple, pumpkin, cranberry, etc) draw 50,000 people.  I'll be there with as much product as I can load into my little truck.  The last outdoor 2005 outdoor show for me was mid October 2005.  Chilly?  A little.  I didn't mind.  It was a really good show for me.

Sorry to rattle on about outdoor shows.  I can spend the winter at indoor shows and stuffy malls with people walking past and not even noticing me.  Give me an outdoor show with people that have actually made a point of attending the event.  That's where I want to be.

Many local outdoor events are not listed or advertised on the the craft type sites.  They are run by the Jaycee's, Chamber of Commerce, etc.  Check the web for the specific little community (Spring City, Andersonville, Lake Falls, etc).  The local websites will have listing IF the the community does something like this.  The space fees will range from $25 to $350, depending on the event. 

Hope this has helped a little.  Please do not overlook the outdoor events.  Get yourself a tent (borrow one)  and get out there.  That is where I find the highest traffic counts.

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006 02:12:15 PM »

i was thinking about have a summer craft sale in my backyard lol and no i dont mean a huge one with a million vendors, but maybe just me and a couple other vendors but it's going to be more like a home show so theres not going to be whole lot of competition and what i might do is just have like one summer show each year and make the products during the year. and plus at home theres no table fees :-)

Baby, I'm goin' places!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006 06:45:52 PM »

last summer was my first summer as a biz person and I did a few craft shows.  Your question just has too many "ifs" in it for anyone to give you an accurate answer for your specific situation.

My first show I did ok in sales, but most of the people did better.  This show was also flea and  retail sales, so my handmade items were more expensive than some items.

Another show, I sat in the rain and had great sales.  My neighber (both literally and just for the craft show) didn't sell much at all.

Some of the factors to consider are the following:
1) how will is the craft show advertised?
2) who are the target attendess?
2) is it craft/handmade only, or will they take flea market items and made in China resales?
4) What's the competition that day?  Another sale, a huge sporting event?  Will it draw people to the craft fair or compete?
5) Will there be other vendors with products similar to mine?  If so, how many?  How similar?
6) Entry fee--can I afford it if I have low sales?

I'm sure other posters will give you more items to consider, but these have been the big learning experiences for me.  Sometimes shows with heftier entry fees are good because they spend some of that money on advertising and security.  It's not always true, but it often is the case.  Shows will low entry fees are sometimes a good place to start because you can get some exposure and a little experience.

I hope some of this is helpful.

Baby Goin' Places--for the baby on the go!  Slings, pocketchangers, custom clothing, and now custom monogramming and embroidery!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Artist Depicts What Wi-Fi Signals Would Look Like With Photos
How to Draw Lucy Eyes
How to Draw Luchia Nanami
How to Draw Lightning McQueen
How to Draw Ikki
Latest Blog Articles
Beware! Black Cats!
Meatless Monday: Pickled Peppers
Spotlight on: Precious Metal Clay

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...