A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
413 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: huntington/marshall u  (Read 11251 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tawna1121
« on: January 29, 2006 08:13:16 AM »

anyone in this area??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To Live is to Create to Create is to live !
Petunia0384
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006 08:04:46 PM »

This probably doesn't help you much, lol, but I used to be. Smiley  I went to Marshall for a while.  I do visit there frequently, and I miss A.C. Moore terribly...  Haha. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shainna Smiley

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." -Tennyson
JupiterLullaby
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006 04:27:45 PM »

I am!  I've lived here all my life, and am currently attending Marshall.

♥ k
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get a Moola invite!

jupiterlullaby
live.  learn.  life.  love.  die.  dust.  gone.

[[formerly xkacie]]
nightal1031
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006 05:31:19 PM »

I live in southern WV and i'm thinking about going to marshall in 2 years Smiley
are you an art major? if you are, let me know how good the program is Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Procrastinators unite!!!
...tomorrow
tawna1121
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006 09:37:11 AM »

Cool Beans Ya'll !   I live on Campus :-)  xkacie Pm me lol we prolly pass each other and never know it!

Sorry nightal1031 I'm an English major ( To bad Crafting isn't an Offered Major LOL)
But from what Ive seen the program is cool .

THIS ROCKS   Logged

To Live is to Create to Create is to live !
JupiterLullaby
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006 07:21:17 PM »

I'm sorry, nightal1031, I'm not an art major, so I don't know how the program is.  I suppose it's pretty good.  The artwork displayed in the Birke gallery is always really nice, but I don't know much about art.  I don't really have a major, actually Undecided

♥ k
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get a Moola invite!

jupiterlullaby

[[formerly xkacie]]
funkyhooker
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2006 08:36:36 AM »

Hey, Barboursville here.  Marshall alumni!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wist! http://www.wists.com/savagerabbit

-----BEGIN KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
K E R Exp+ SPM Wood+ Bamboo ++ Steel+++ Baa+++ Syn-- Nov Lux+ @ Stash+++ Scale+ Fin Ent- FI- Int- Tex+ Lace-- Felt++  Flat Circ+ DPN+++ ML-- Swatch-- KIP+++ Blog SNB+++ EZ? FO? WIP3 F-- DK++ ALT Cr X Sw  
-----
kettel6
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2006 11:08:29 AM »

I'm in Ironton, OH.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tattooed_dork

physics makes us all it's bitches

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006 09:15:08 PM »

i'm in proctorville, oh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"This calls for a delicate blend of psychology and extreme violence."

support a tattoo craft challenge! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=16743580.0
abandonedcouch
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006 09:18:20 PM »

i like the art major ok...i haven't gotten too far into it except for the photography classes.

you have to be pretty dedicated to stick it out, and don't count on graduating in 4 years either!

how weird that when i checked the front page this was the newest topic updated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Signatures are for sissies.
Belle
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2006 08:46:02 PM »

I live in Huntington too. I go to MU but I'm taking a little hiatus until next Spring.

It's nice to know there are crafty folks around here after all. I had given up hope!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All mistakes are intentional... until I learn how to fix them.
leighannester
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006 07:22:55 AM »

I am in South Point, Ohio.  I'm a Marshall Alumni.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AModernMantra
Sprrrriiiing!

Oh, hai, I upgraded your leaf.

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006 10:53:16 AM »

Whoa whoa whooooaa, a topic that actually forced my lurker self to log in and post!

I think I recognize you, tawna1121. Weird stalker question -- do you volunteer with SAPB and came to Women's Studies meetings to update us about Rock Against Rape? If not, then maybe I'm nuts and don't know you.

Awesome, craftsters at MU! <3 I had heard of a knitting group (stopped and chatted to a girl knitting outside Harris one day, was that anyone here?) but I used to work at the time they met.

I don't know why I'm so surprised that more local people know about Craftster, besides myself and friends I've introduced to it. We really should have some kinda crafty club get-together thingie.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

43 Things | Wists

I <3 personal swaps!
tattooed_dork

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006 03:32:53 PM »

that would be awesome. if i could get off work, that is. i'm definately interested. if anyone wants help organizing it, i'd chip in. i'd love to meet some fellow craftsters! i prolly couldn't do it myself tho. damned job! *shakes fist angrily*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

support a tattoo craft challenge! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=16743580.0
funkyhooker
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2006 03:03:35 PM »

Hey,  Does anyone know of the Stitch and Bitch here in Huntington.  I heard some girls talking about it at our knitting circle at ACMoore last month but I didn't catch where it was!  Any hints?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

K E R Exp+ SPM Wood+ Bamboo ++ Steel+++ Baa+++ Syn-- Nov Lux+ @ Stash+++ Scale+ Fin Ent- FI- Int- Tex+ Lace-- Felt++  Flat Circ+ DPN+++ ML-- Swatch-- KIP+++ Blog SNB+++ EZ? FO? WIP3 F-- DK++ ALT Cr X Sw  
-----
tattooed_dork

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006 07:53:44 PM »

local stitch and bitch ? that's awesome. too bad i don't knit. :*( i'm trying, tho!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AModernMantra
Sprrrriiiing!

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2006 09:27:38 AM »

I've wanted to start a campus SnB; I hadn't heard of any group at MU or in the Huntington area. I'd love to go if you find any info on it (I'd be crocheting from Happy Hooker, though, unless anyone is patient enough to start me on knitting!). There are other students around that would be a part of this, too. I'll search around and see if I find out anything about a Huntington SnB.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

43 Things | Wists

I <3 personal swaps!
AModernMantra
Sprrrriiiing!

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2006 11:26:01 AM »

Someone created a Huntington SnB yahoo group, but the last post was from Feb. I joined and messaged her, so maybe we'll hear back. :-) I'll also go by the yarn shop and the bookstore to see if there are group flyers.  Funkyhooker, it said they meet 6pm Thursdays at the Pullman Starbucks. We could try catching them! haha :-)  I wish they didn't use Starbucks, though; Java Joint would be a much better place.

If we don't find an existing group, we can easily start one (as we look, or whatever). I'm off work by 6 on weeknights, don't work weekends, so any evening or weekend time would work for me. What times are good for you guys?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

43 Things | Wists

I <3 personal swaps!
funkyhooker
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2006 04:53:45 PM »

AHH!  too cool.  Do tell me if you hear back!  I'm a bit far removed from the college set but the gramma group I stitch with at ACMoore is a little uptight for me too!  (they just died when I had my stitch and bitch books out where everyone "could see them!" at one of the meetings)  The group owner said that the owners of the store were "good respectable christians" and I told her that I personally took offence to that.  As if I were NOT.  whatever.  I want a Tshirt with the word "BITCH" enblazened across it to wear to the next meeting! LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-----
AModernMantra
Sprrrriiiing!

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2006 11:32:14 AM »

Oh, geez!  Roll Eyes I guess they wouldn't like the HAPPY HOOKER book, either. hehehe

What evenings are good for you? We can start a group and gently lure in others. I hope everyone feels welcome... even if their book says *gasp* Bitch...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

43 Things | Wists

I <3 personal swaps!
AModernMantra
Sprrrriiiing!

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2006 11:22:40 AM »

Hey hey hey, good news! She e-mailed me back. It's a small group, but they still meet every Thursday evening at the Pullman Square Starbucks. I'll be there next Thursday!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

43 Things | Wists

I <3 personal swaps!
funkyhooker
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2006 07:59:44 PM »

Cool!  What time?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-----
AModernMantra
Sprrrriiiing!

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2006 09:07:24 AM »

Hey!  Wow, I can't believe someone replied to this!  Yeah, we still meet.
Every Thursday night at 6:00 at the Starbucks.  I've been to the Java Joint
but Starbucks was easier at first.  The hubby works there, so it was a
guaranteed spot, ya know? 

Tell anyone and everyone who wants to come that they are welcome.  There arent too many of us most
nights.  Some can make it, some can't.  Just how it goes I guess.  Hope to see ya there next week!

Mandy

Here's the email I got. :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

43 Things | Wists

I <3 personal swaps!
funkyhooker
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2006 11:07:14 AM »

Did you go?  I wanna go some time!  My kids need a baby sitter and my dh isn't home by then most evenings but I will try and make it a few times!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-----
AModernMantra
Sprrrriiiing!

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2006 01:41:22 PM »

I've gone the past two Thursdays. It's a small group, but fun! One woman brings her young daughter, too. I think the Pullman concert series is continuing next week, too, so we have musical entertainment for our SnB. :-) Mandy & I are going to put up more flyers, and I am making a small website for our group (in addition to that yahoo group I found... apparently I was the first to locate and post to it! hehehe). There had been a Herald Dispatch article about Huntington SnB back in March, but interest died off again. I'm sure we can renew interest in the group, if we can get the word out. :-)

I have to warn you, however, that it is a cult of M names. Mandy, Margo, Marsha (I think?)... and I'm Michelle, I brought my friend Molly... Clearly, it's a cult.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

43 Things | Wists

I <3 personal swaps!
funkyhooker
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2006 03:45:27 PM »

Arg,, must I come up with an M name too?  LOL  closest I can conjure is "Mom"!  I'm going to try and make it next thursday!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-----
tattooed_dork

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2006 08:03:41 PM »

i can't knit or crochet, but i'd be interested in going sometime 9if i can get the night off!). i've been trying to teach myself, but all i've gotten the hang of is casting on and the knit stitch. would you guy mind a serious noivce?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AModernMantra
Sprrrriiiing!

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2006 10:01:43 PM »

I'm a knitting novice, too. I've been finishing some crochet projects, but I'm going to start knittin' soon. My friend is learning crochet. The others all seem to be knitting, so I'm sure we'd find lots of help for learning. Mandy, the girl I'd contacted by email etc, is a sweet and fun person, and has a patient, clear way of explaining. Don't worry about being new. Smiley

Funkyhooker... hahaha I don't know which would be weirder for me to call you: Funky Hooker or Mom! Or... Funky Hooker Mom. Oh, my!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

43 Things | Wists

I <3 personal swaps!
funkyhooker
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2006 03:36:38 AM »

he he he,,  Welll,, I guess you could call me Crystal then!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-----
AModernMantra
Sprrrriiiing!

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2006 10:51:56 AM »

Sorry, I thought I'd posted about this already...

As of this week, we changed it from Thursdays to Wednesdays. Same place/ time - 6pm outside of Starbuck's, inside if it's raining. We only have 3 regulars so look for a smallish group. We have flyers up in the bookstore - right next to the SnB books! - and other places around Huntington. I'm currently working up a little website for info on the group, to help generate interest and convince people that beginners are welcome. If you come next Wednesday, you can witness my first noble attempts at knitting! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

43 Things | Wists

I <3 personal swaps!
JupiterLullaby
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2007 06:00:25 PM »

Just popping in to ask if the Huntington SnB group still meets on Wednesdays.  I was talking about starting a SnB group here with one of my friends if we couldn't find a close-by one, and it would be great if you're still meeting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get a Moola invite!

jupiterlullaby

[[formerly xkacie]]
JupiterLullaby
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2007 12:05:09 PM »

Found my answer on the knithappens forum (http://www.bust.com/snbforum/index.php?topic=1839.0)!  In case anyone else is interested, here's a copy and paste of the post there, originally posted by a user named Kpuppy.

UPDATE on the Hungtington SNB! We now meet at the Java Joint (directly across from the Marshall campus) at 6 on Thursdays! Everyone is still welcome to come over, even if you've never picked up a stick or hook in your life. "We" (as in, not me, I suck at teaching) will help you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get a Moola invite!

jupiterlullaby

[[formerly xkacie]]
AModernMantra
Sprrrriiiing!

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2007 03:08:47 PM »

Yep! We still meet on Thursdays at 6pm inside of Java Joint. Are you one of the girls who recently started coming? I'm Michelle... I was MIA for a few weeks, but I was there last week & at our holiday party this past weekend. :-)

If anyone else is looking for a group in Huntington, don't be shy - come join us!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

43 Things | Wists

I <3 personal swaps!
JupiterLullaby
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2007 09:29:11 PM »

No, I've not been able to come yet because of band rehearsals and work, but as soon as I'm able to I'd love to come!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get a Moola invite!

jupiterlullaby

[[formerly xkacie]]
CSIcrafter

I am a PowerPuff Girl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2008 07:54:29 AM »

Whoo!  Marshall Alum and currently work for Marshall.  I highly recommend the SnB group on Thursdays.  Even if you don't knit.  We also crochet, tatt and recently a few members took up spinning.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bubbles: It's not fair! I'm just as tough and strong and mean as Buttercup and Blossom, but they just don't believe me. They all treat me like a baby. I'll show them. I'll prove that I can be... hard-core!
AModernMantra
Sprrrriiiing!

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2008 08:00:27 AM »

Just posting to say our SnB is still going strong! We now pretty much take over the back room of Java Joint every Thursday night. We'd love to see you there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

43 Things | Wists

I <3 personal swaps!
roundhouseknitter
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2008 05:28:30 PM »

AHH!  too cool.  Do tell me if you hear back!  I'm a bit far removed from the college set but the gramma group I stitch with at ACMoore is a little uptight for me too!  (they just died when I had my stitch and bitch books out where everyone "could see them!" at one of the meetings)  The group owner said that the owners of the store were "good respectable christians" and I told her that I personally took offence to that.  As if I were NOT.  whatever.  I want a Tshirt with the word "BITCH" enblazened across it to wear to the next meeting! LOL

funkyhooker I fell on the floor that was so funny. this area is very church orientated! I'm still grinning.

I am a grandma!! and that is what makes it even funnier!!

I have heard of the S&B group but have never gone. I kinda like things my own way and thats probably why. I used to head a crochet and/or knit group at my local library here in Kenova, east of Htgn just before you get to Ky. Enjoyed it soooo much but I had to stop because of family, family, family bussyness. Lord. Thats what I get for being a grandma!! (I still got the giggles from your post!) And hey I thought you handled that pretty well. Golly gee the book is sold at ACMoore for cryin-out-loud! Good Luck on a get-together. (Maybe somewhere at MU?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roundhouseknitter
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2008 05:43:35 AM »

here is another get together in Htgn with a few ladies who call themselves the "high noon hookers". i found them on the lionbrand website's club finder. they don't say where they gather but the email addie is afruley@fja-cpas.com. sorry about not knowing how to make a link. still a craftster newbie! and so looks like we have a few options here in Huntington, WV.

you all have a good day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roundhouseknitter
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2008 05:45:24 AM »

hey it linked automatically! very nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AModernMantra
Sprrrriiiing!

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2008 08:07:35 AM »

Hey, thanks! I wonder if that is the small knitting group headed up by a professor. I know there was a knitting group meeting on Friday afternoons last semester (or last year?). A few days ago, I was crocheting at work and a woman asked me about what I was making, and told me she'd been a part of that. I couldn't find any specific info to post, however.

The SnB group is mostly non-students, but I think most of us are in our late 20s/ early 30s. My mom, knitormiss's mom, and some other women who are decidedly post-20s  Wink used to come, but aren't able to now because of work or other commitments. I know we tend to come across as a student group, but we're very welcoming! I wouldn't want people to miss out just because they think it's a Marshall group.

... Just letting people know, in general.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

43 Things | Wists

I <3 personal swaps!
JupiterLullaby
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2008 06:53:24 PM »

Does the SnB group still meet during the summer?  I know it's still quite a bit away, but I've got a Thursday class so I won't be able to start coming until post-finals.  I'd really like to start coming, though!  It sounds like fun, and it would give me that extra bit of motivation to actually see a project through, cast-on to bind-off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get a Moola invite!

jupiterlullaby

[[formerly xkacie]]
roundhouseknitter
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2008 10:55:15 AM »

okay thanks! I don't get out of the house too much anymore (hopefully not forever cause thats how it feels sometimes! lol). I do alot of childcare because of my daugther's disablities. and a person can get kinda lazy when she gets bored and tired!!  Cheesy

you all have a good day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AModernMantra
Sprrrriiiing!

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2008 02:48:28 PM »

Yep! We meet in the summer, too. :-) Someone usually posts here if we change location, but I don't think that will happen again. We're pretty comfortable where we are.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

43 Things | Wists

I <3 personal swaps!
JupiterLullaby
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2008 09:17:27 PM »

Awesome!  Thanks for replying =)  I'll probably actually get to start going come summertime!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get a Moola invite!

jupiterlullaby

[[formerly xkacie]]
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...