A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,169
Currently Running With Scissors:
615 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Paint Stir Sticks  (Read 2897 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DeniseM

The older I get, the better I was! ! !

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2004 09:33:41 PM »

I need a quick and easy craft, appealing to young children (2-10) using paint stir sticks.  Home Depot donated several thousand to a local arts council last summer and we still have cases of them left.  We'd like to use them for a make-and-take project for the young'uns this year.  Any ideas?  Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aimbo
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004 10:08:03 PM »

These are probably ideas you have already had, but what about painted bookmarks (wouldn't work for small paperbacks, but could work for big picture books.)  Or painting and gluing to make picture frames.  Or...garden markers?? Or miniature totem poles??  They might also be great as handles for puppets.

LOL - talk about a random list of ideas - can you tell it's late, and my brain is trying to shut down?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookgirl
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004 09:05:48 AM »

How about a trivet (made like a little raft), or a planter made log-cabin style?  Or fans?  Just fan 'em out and glue the places where they overlap together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DeniseM

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2004 09:49:10 AM »

Thanks for your ideas.  Your help is greatly appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
quarkiegirl

Keep it loose, keep it tight.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2004 11:47:29 AM »

you could make stick stickley-type dolls like these
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=7313.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spitbubbleluv
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2004 02:21:20 PM »

What can you NOT do with paint sticks?  Hmmm.  I have a lot of ideas but because of the age group I would suggest cutting them into various lengths, having the kids paint them and make mobiles.  You could drill holes in each peice and let them tie string connecting them to a coat hanger or something.  For the smaller kids I suggest drum sticks.  All parents love noisy toys.   Grin  Seriously though a 2 or 3 year old would love it.  Make drums from oatmeal canisters.  Other ideas: picture frame (glue 4 into a square), glue a bunch together to make a "canvas" and let the kids put their handprints on it or paint a picture.  Maybe I will come up with some more later. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Girlinsoop

Someday, rabbit, I will finally finnish a project.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2004 04:48:05 PM »

How old are the kids you work with? If you have teens you can turn them into a lamp shade..I think i saw it in readymade (I'll take a look). I worked at the girl scouts for a while and we were always in the lovely position of a ton of donations! (I have 101 things to do with empty film canisters!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DeniseM

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2004 09:01:12 PM »

The craft needs to be pretty simple (and fast) and appealing to kids from pre-school through elementary.  Another forum suggested a game.  I liked that idea.  Tape the stick to a small paper cup and use with a ping pong ball (I was thinking more along the lines of a button on a string, also taped to the cup).  Then try to catch the small item, whatever it is, in the cup.

Girlinsoop, maybe you should start a thread on film canisters.  I have a few and use them to sort my beads, carry my vitamins, etc.  Scary thing is, I buy the brand that comes in the clear canister so they are easier for me to re-use.  I'd love to see some other ideas too.  Please, don't say lampshade! ! !
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MtyAphrdti
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2004 06:52:03 PM »

let's see....top of my head...

plant markers.....attach rectangle of paper to decorate with "sunflowers" or "basil" or some such

fans!  great for summertime!  fold paper back in forth lengthwise until all folded up (could decorate the paper first) then staple the bottom to the paint stick and fan the paper out!

big butterflys!  make wings out of paper..decorate...glue them on the paint sticks like it's the worm body
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Wear Leather This Spring For Less
Featured Blogger: Olivia Lopez of Lustt For Life
Slip Into Spring With These Must-Have Leather Jackets
Kirsten Dunst Is the First to Wear Proenza Schouler Fall 2013
Street Chic: Smart and Casual Office Attire
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...