A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,096
Currently Running With Scissors:
504 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: butterfly mock wrap top with SIMPLE SLEEVE TUTORIAL!!  (Read 30115 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kaffrin
« on: January 28, 2006 11:18:21 AM »

one of the things i've been promising to make a tute for a while for is the humble sleeve. easy enough, unless you've never done one before and then OH GOD it's baffling. so, let me assist in de-baffling you. or baffling you even more, cause it's harder to explain than to do.

firstly, you'll have made the body of your top. it'll already have sleeve holes, if you have arms, which i'm assuming all of you do (very hard to craft without them). so fab. half your work is already done, and you didn't even know it:

so you need to find out how big the armholes of your top are. there's an easy way to do this, and a hard way, and the easy way doesn't involve doing it one-handed while taking a photo of the process with your other hand:

nevertheless, we can see that my armhole measures about 6 inches. i say about cause i'm using a cotton lycra jersey which is really stretchy, so half an inch here or there is not vitally important, cause you can stretch it to fit as you sew.

your next step is to fold over your fabric, cause we're going to be cutting the sleeves on a fold. half the effort, and you know that the shape will be even.

the folded edge is along the bottom in this picture. you then need to cut the edge of the sleeve that will meet the armhole, using an elongated s shaped curve like the one above. it doesn't have to be totally spot on, as long as it's the same kind of shape. the cut you will make is the length of the armhole meaurement you just took plus seam allowance. so my cut is 6 inches long, plus half an inch for the seam.

IMPORTANT: using the same measurement will only work if you are sewing with stretchy fabrics. if your fabrics are not stretchy, you will need to allow more room around the arm for movement, so your s-shaped curve will need to be longer than the armhole measurement and be gathered before attaching it. if i go into how to do that too, this tute will be longer than life itself, so i'll assume everyone's down with the stretch.

now you have to decide how long and how wide you want your sleeves. measure from the tip of your shoulder to where you want to sleeves to end. use this measurement along the bottom (folded) edge. then measure around your arm at that point. halve the measurement and add seam allowance and use that to cut the cuff (smaller) end. the join the cuts to get a shape like this:

open it out, and you now have one sleeve piece.  Grin

cut another identical piece (or, if you're sneaky like me, you will have cut on a double fold, so there'll already be two. hurrah!).

take one piece, and fold it longways, with the right sides together. sew the long, open edge, so you have a tube shape with a little extra at the top end, like this:

now take the body of your top and turn it inside out. take your sleeve piece and turn it with the right sides out. put the sleeve piece into the armhole, with right sides together, and match up the seams. like this:

then match the raw edges of the armhole and the top edge of the sleeve piece, and sew them together. it's easier to pin them in place so that your sleeve will be attached evenly, but i haven't done this cause i don't really need to, and cause i tend to just injure myself on the pins anyway cause i'm the clumsiest person you've never met.

it's pretty hard to see when the sleeve and your body piece are the same colour, but that's the jist of it. a better idea for the tute would have been to do the sleeves in a different colour, but it's a bit late now. if anyone gets really stuck, i'll take some more pics the next time i do different colour sleeves.

and yes, there is an old phone behind my sewing machine. no, i don't know why.

ANYWAY... if you turn your top to the right side, you should see that you now have a set-in sleeve. yay! now you just need to do the other side. boo  Embarrassed

if anyone here does only have one arm, not only will i be really impressed by your unilateral crafting, you'll also save yourself a lot of time sewing sleeves. bonus.

and now, presenting the finished article:

i noticed after these pics that the shoulders are a little loose, so they've been fixed, but the only real difference is that now it stays on my shoulders instead of disappearing halfway down my arms  Cheesy

and it looks uneven on my boobs because i have uneven boobs. true story.

EDIT: oh, and in the title i mean the sleeves are simple. the tute is really chuffing complicated Tongue
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006 11:21:26 AM by kaffrin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

so-aesthetic
C o l l e e n

Live with no excuses, love with no regrets.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006 11:24:17 AM »

aww thats so pretty i love the fabric and the colors! good job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're the same."
CosmicCarrot
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006 11:39:12 AM »

i love it!! did your fabric come like that or did you do it yourself? if so, i'm guessing with bleach?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

there's plastic on the furniture to keep it neat and clean,
in the pine sol-scented air, somewhere that's green...
kaffrin
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006 11:45:31 AM »

did your fabric come like that or did you do it yourself? if so, i'm guessing with bleach?

yup, i did it myself with the old bleach. these parts are utterly devoid of nice fabrics at the moment. boo.

it's all made out of that same purple stuff, and i ironed freezer paper butteflies on to the front piece, whacked on some bleach, and then stitched around the little dark purple butterfly shapes with lime green thread  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CosmicCarrot
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006 11:47:21 AM »

wow....i love how the bleached parts turned such a nice pink! did you know it would turn out like that or was it just luck?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

there's plastic on the furniture to keep it neat and clean,
in the pine sol-scented air, somewhere that's green...
kaffrin
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006 11:55:34 AM »

wow....i love how the bleached parts turned such a nice pink! did you know it would turn out like that or was it just luck?

i tested a little swatch first. i've been on a bit of a bleaching frenzy lately, so i've been chucking bleach on little bits of all the jerseys in my stash to see which ones will work the best.

i have a tuquoise that turns baby blue and a black that turns orange earmarked for future experiments  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006 12:03:38 PM »

Very cute. Thanks for the sleeve tutorial. I don't think there is one on here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
xstillxherex72
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006 12:20:40 PM »

that is really awesome! thanks for the tut!

much love
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No_Aloha

I am the faerie queene!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2006 12:47:27 PM »

Fantabulous!  I am making one.  Muchas gracias. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lamamarco
Lauren :)

sewing IS love.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2006 07:22:35 PM »

You have no idea how much this helps me! Thanks soo much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make No Bake Oatmeal and Raw Honey Cookies
How to Cook Fruit on the Grill
How to Make Gluten-Free Pistachio and Poppy Seed Financiers
How to Make Strawberry Shortcake Sandwich Cookies
How to Make an Adorable Watermelon Grill for Your BBQ Centerpiece
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...