A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,928
Currently Running With Scissors:
515 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Family Cookbook  (Read 1563 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wannabesupercrafty
« on: June 17, 2004 05:01:12 PM »

The family cookbook
The idea started while two of my aunts were floating on our summer vacation at Lake Shasta last year. They thought “Wouldn’t it be great if we could get together all of our family’s recipes?!?!” So they sent out letters to my big Mormon family telling them to submit all of their favorite recipes. Then I tediously typed up all the recipes (grr…that sucked up my entire summer) and then we had ourselves a family cookbook. The book has 200+ recipes from practically everyone in the family (I have a huge extended family). Recipes range from ‘Potato Cheese Soup’ to ‘Get-A-Guy-Brownies’ to ‘Cranberry Bread’.  All the recipes were typed up, copied, and put in a binder for each family member.  Dividers with a family photo and category heading were added. I think it’s a great way to preserve my family’s history. Although it does guarantee you’ll become a good cook by trying out all the recipes (case in point: me. I can’t cook to save my life)

picture of cover (sorry for fuzziness)

a couple of dividers

my first time posting pics so i hope it works! i'm crossing my fingers  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ookpik

everything is so neat!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2004 11:32:49 PM »

wow! that sounds like a lot of work, and looks pretty awesome. i love homemade family archives, as corny as they can be.

is everything bound in binders?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's no such thing as too much information, so: All About My Vagina
annieblack
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004 02:28:13 PM »

that's a really neat idea, my family's planning a reunion of sorts this summer, and i think i'll try something similar.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"or you might see her smile a strange sad smile
as she steps out of your way
or you might not see her at all
but she might be coming down for you
with her arms spread wide and her head on fire
cuz she sees you been down so long"
Noe Venable, Black Madonna
hillarybillary
your a pansy I'm a cowboy....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004 03:03:13 PM »

My husband and I did something like this at around our wedding. at our shower we had everyone bring their favorite picture of us and their favorite recipe and took all the hand written pieces from everyone and pictures and made a book and on one page would be my grandmothers farvorite picture of me and then her meatloaf recipe. Then we made bound books out of  color copies and gave them to our mothers and grandmothers. and kept one for ourselves. Its neat because it has all these photos of the two of us growing up and all these hand wriitten recipes.
Hillary
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wannabesupercrafty
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004 03:16:47 PM »

wow hillarybillary... that is an AWESOME idea. that is such a great project for a bridal shower.... must alert my bridal-wedding-shower-planning-obsessed-aunt (actually i think it has already passed obsession)! she is always looking for new ideas and this would be a great one.

(completely off topic but... when i was four i used to get up every morning early to watch the news and my family thought it was hilarious that a four year old would watch the news everyday. so one of my uncles wanted to see if i really watched the news attentively so he asked me, "Who is the president of the US?" and I replied quickly "Billary Clinton". My uncle still laughs about that one because hillary was sort of half-president back then...lol. anyways, hillarybillary that's why your name struck me funny)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hillarybillary
your a pansy I'm a cowboy....

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004 03:39:43 PM »

i must say i never even tought of the whole bill clinton/hillary clinton thing when picking this name. i am just terrible at picking screen names and so i just picked the first thing that came to mind.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stykz
[insert catchy custom title here]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2004 01:14:33 AM »

that is such a neat idea.. i think i'm going to have to try it sometime with my (rather large) family.. we havent had a reunion in quite a while, although they used to be annual.. but the next time we're all together i've gotta remember to bring this up...

¤stykz¤
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mormonhuliay
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2004 12:06:54 AM »

speaking of mormon... any cooking ideas for something to send a mormon missionary? it'd be going from cali to puerto rico so it'd have to survive shipping... and sorry for getting this thing off topic...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit a Laptop Table Saver with a Loom Part 1/2
How to Knit a Flat Panel on a Loom
How to Knit a Christmas Stocking with a Loom Part 7/12
How to Knit a Christmas Stocking with a Loom Part 2/12
How to Knit a Christmas Stocking with a Loom Part 3/12
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...