A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,022
Currently Running With Scissors:
469 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Don't iron the carpet  (Read 5605 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

maliboo_barbie
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2006 04:29:27 PM »

Don't iron the carpet...or a quilting rotary mat.  Some time ago STUPID me thought it would be a good idea to use the mat as a backup (so as not to iron the carpet).  I really don't know what I was thinking using a hot iron over a rubber mat.  Needless to say, its totally warped.  Now I use it for my toddler to put her coloring pages on and color so that if she goes off the page she doesn't ruin whatever surface she's on.

OMG I did this too.  I totally spaced out, and whoopsie.  Those mats are TOO EXPENSIVE to ruin, and yet... d'oh!  I tried slicing through mine at the most warped area so that it was like popping a bubble and would kind of lay flat while I worked on it.  Guess what didn't work?  I finally cut it into a much smaller rectangle for small-scale cutting.  What a waste of money.  And my brain. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nobody puts Sparky in a corner
slb2724
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2006 07:51:50 PM »

my friend, whos a non crafter, had to iron a shirt and left the iron on metal part down on a light colored table while she flipped the shirt over. then forgot the shirt to pick up the phone. within like 1 minute she saw it smoking a little and now theresa perfect iron shape on her table. its pretty funny.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.beadsnthings.etsy.com

"I've ot a jar of dirt! And guess whats inside it!"-Jack Sparrow
Cody
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2006 08:06:31 PM »

This is how I ruined my mother's very new, very expensive iron. Don't iron on carpet, kids.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
piratejane

We're all mad here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2006 08:14:56 PM »

I too have burnt the carpet. And I'd like to add that it was only about 8 or 9 months old, Berber carpeting. :\ My roommate thinks the maintanence guys did it when they moved the new oven in after our old one stopped heating. Of course, I firmly agree with her!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lostlipgloss
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2006 01:17:08 AM »

I do this all the time. I melted our carpet last week. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pwntbygirl.
Pistol Ball

WELCOME TO THE PISTOL BALL !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2006 07:08:56 AM »

ooops!  Embarrassed

Take heart - we've all done this at some point! (some of us several times!) Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyCoug

Croquet at Molbaks

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2006 05:58:58 PM »

Oh no!  Several times!  Haven't learned the lesson?  I'm pretty sure I would have been dead meat after once...

Fortunately I haven't melted things lately, although once I had an episode of melting thread.  I hemmed up a pair of capris and went to iron it out after I was all done and the polyester (or so I thought) thread shrivelled up and the melted stumps ended up holding the hem more than the original stitching... it was really weird.

That said, I'm probably going to go ruin something now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm down w/ a personal swap now and then!  PM me!

www.craftycougknits.blogspot.com
Ms.PlacD
Fabulous Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2006 02:47:55 PM »

oh i actualyy stopped a minute and thought before continuing on my merry mad way. i thought "hmmmm, you are gping to burn that carpet. tisl tisk." and then... light bulb "i'll just put several layers of fabric underneath what i am working on" oh! and never once stopped to check if the carpet was doing okay.
there is a very long curtain length burn in the middle of our living room carpet, that my boyfriends shakes his head at everyday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what can you do but laugh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are too many mediocre things in life, I will not be one of them.
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2006 09:37:05 AM »

Okay.  Maybe it's because we've always had an ironing board, but it has never occured to me to iron on the carpeting/table/couch/cutting mat.

But, believe me, I've done my share of other stupid things!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
itsnikki
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2006 03:13:07 PM »

Wow! I used to iron on carpet too... heh. I never melted it though, thank goodness. I did use a clean towel underneath, or I'd iron (with the towel under) on cabinets. Now, we have a board. (Which is in my craftroom.Cheesy I love love love it! Funny how simple things make me happy.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stupid people do stupid things, smart people outsmart each other.

My LJ

-Add me to your livejournal, and I'll add you back!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style a Festival Updo for Curly Hair
Sombré: The New Ombré Trend That Looks Gorgeous on Everyone
DIY Pool Hair Remedy
3 Steps to the Perfect Beachy Wave
3 Fixes For A Bad Hair Day
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...