A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,323
Currently Running With Scissors:
665 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Skele-wedding??  (Read 1948 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NocturnalCatie

Long live Oolong!

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2006 10:59:56 PM »

So...I'm engaged/not engaged yet. Grin My lovely live-in man-servant and I have a tradition of doing things a little backwards and slow. We were apartment hunting for a place together before we were dating, and now he wants to plan a (quoting!) "weird, awesome, swank wedding" before he's even popped the question. I'm all for it! I've got an army of crafty friends and family at my disposal...and I can't wait! We've got all the time in the world, since we haven't set an official date yet,so far I've only got these ideas...

-He MUST MUST MUST (and I think he should!) have that tuxedo in the nightmare mark rydeny sequence in Monkey Bone! The one with the skeleton painted on it.

-I know I want something equally as cool, but so far all anyone can suggest to me is a red dress/blue/black dress. This is all fine, since I want a red dress ANYWAY, but it's still not as cool as his tux.

-I want an over-all skeleton theme. Not like a pirate theme or a day of the dead theme...but skulls, skulls everywhere! all kinds, shapes, sizes....

-I want my cake to be red velvet! But I don't know what kind of icing or decoration I want on it.

-Invitations! I'm drawing blanks on this one!
 Huh
-we're in Hawaii, and we met here, so i think it'll take place here...but I don't want tropical ANYTHING at my wedding. Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely place, but I'm not a big "aloha wear" person....

-I want everything to be super super cheap, look good, and be handmade. People keep telling me this can't be done, but my sister did it ofr her beautiful North Shore wedding.

Any suggestions on favors, etc. PLEASE feel free to let me know! I'll update everybody as I go along...
this could take awhile! Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007 09:58:18 PM by NocturnalCatie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like bananas and revolution. Whichever comes first.
killer_threader
lord polly waffle

and unto them he said "borange"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006 01:25:33 AM »

I made skull toffees by putting them into the patty pans (cupcake cases) and when they were semi set squeezed the bottom in then piped the faces on in white chocolate. for your dress you could have skeletons embroidered all over it sort of hidden in swirls and stuff and around the hem (that would look awesome in red and white) hmmm... awesome I dea(d) ha ha ha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

and he said unto the people of the hills and valleys " and all ye who eat brunch shall be damned to hell" and unto the people of the plains and seas "ditto"
bluebubble
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006 03:05:37 AM »

i while back i got some fabric that would be perfect for this type of theme. at first glance it looks like just black fabric with roses. but when you look closely you can see skulls hidden on there! it was a bargain- only $2AUD per metre!!

heres a pic of it:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Countess Geschwitz

Making cool things when I should be studying

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006 03:13:10 AM »

i while back i got some fabric that would be perfect for this type of theme. at first glance it looks like just black fabric with roses. but when you look closely you can see skulls hidden on there! it was a bargain- only $2AUD per metre!!
$AUD? Yay, Australia! Can you tell me where you found it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
killer_threader
lord polly waffle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006 03:26:29 AM »

another australian ! yes tell us!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

and he said unto the people of the hills and valleys " and all ye who eat brunch shall be damned to hell" and unto the people of the plains and seas "ditto"
bluebubble
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006 04:36:36 AM »

Vic market in melbourne. oh, i forgot to mention its like a cotton fabric. i think it looks like a knit fabric in the pic.  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
killer_threader
lord polly waffle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006 05:40:57 AM »

ah melbourne.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tiedinbundles
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006 08:46:44 AM »

while you do live in a tropical climate and this is felted, i think you could probably sew something similar, perhaps a little bigger for a shawl?
http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall05/PATTyorick.html

and these are really cool sugar skulls. they are ment to be decorated in a day of the dead way, but it seems to me that you could just leave them blank and they'd be bitchin'
http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall05/PATTyorick.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
newsocks
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006 11:40:53 PM »

i love this thread....and just for my own skull pleasure, i am excited to see more replies and ideas.

i have a suggestion....it might not be relavant because of timing but its a shot.
i would say the best way to get a good deal on a lot of skull stuff would be to shop around or even better the day or day after halloween..SOO SOO many places have cute things you can find..even for center pieces and stuff. also, invitation shops (i know its not homemade but it could help with inspiration) invitation shops tend to have year round invites so you can looks at halloween party invites for your wedding ones.

last year i got a really cute "statue" of a wedded skeleton couple. it was a rubbery material but stood up and i leave it up year round......those would be cute center pieces.

sorry this was long winded....but i would say search halloween stuff and i am so sure you could get good ideas if not stuff that you dont NEED handmade..yahknoW?

ok yah sorry for the extra long idea. hahaa

-M
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ezri_B
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2006 06:56:35 AM »

My favorite place is http://anatomical.com/Bcategory.asp?c=7 they sell skeletons and skulls and such for the medical community, however, they have things called 4th class, which aren't perfect enough for the medicals, so haunters and such get them at a discount. Now if you have a haunt, you can get a bit more of a discount than you see on the website, (if you're really interested let me know, I can get you the info on how to do that.) If you went with a traditional cake they have

or

They have a bunch of things for favor depending on your budget. They have bone finger pens, skull/skeleton key rings, and lots of other things.
They also have skulls in all different sizes and price ranges. The "tiny tim" size is my favorite, you get a bag of a dozen little skulls (they have regular and glow in the dark, I think they have black too.) This is like $10-15US (again this is for 12). They look like these

I think they are about 3" give or take a bit.

http://www.oriental.com has some skull stuff too. They have fairly cheap skull beads

Skull drinking cups, skull flame lights, skull balloons, skull hair bows

skull barbed wire garland, a skeleton garland, skeleton hand glasses, and a bunch of other things too. Quality isn't that great, but fairly cheap stuff.

Here is a site with some skeleton wedding toppers http://www.apictureperfectwedding.com/halloween.htm

http://www.sugarkittycorsets.com/satin.html has a skull overlay fabric for their handbags and corsets (unfortunately the fabric isn't for sale there)

I don't know if any of this helped you or not. Best of luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Shoes
How to Draw Shadows
How to Draw Horses
How to Draw Hearts
How to Draw Flames
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...