A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,031
Currently Running With Scissors:
448 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Umbrella swift  (Read 6218 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Obsessed Knitter
« on: January 26, 2006 03:59:26 PM »

Hi everyone. My dad is really good with tools and hardware, and I've asked him if he thinks he'd be able to make a wooden umbrella swift for me. I've shown him pictures, and he agrees that it wouldn't be very hard to make, but he would like to have the exact measurements, to make sure it fits together correctly.

However, I can't find the exact measurements. I know they have ones for skeins up to 60", or up to 100", and its about 32" high (the entire thing), but I can't seem to find the other measurements, like the height of the actual pieces you put the hank on, length, etc...

Does anyone know the measurements of theirs or is willing to quickly measure theirs for me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006 05:04:13 PM by Obsessed Knitter » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Obsessed Knitter
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006 02:19:23 PM »

Just wanted to say that I did manage to find a book that is supposed to show you how to make your own umbrella swift. I put it on hold at the library, so we'll see how that works out. If anyone wants the information on the book, just let me know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

subloke
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006 07:31:34 AM »

I would like the info on the book!  I have wanted a swift for a long time and like the idea of making one... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
Obsessed Knitter
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006 06:08:32 PM »

Yeah, they're way too expensive for me to buy. Do you know how much yarn you can buy with $60?! lol.

Anyways, this book says it has a pattern for one, but I'm still waiting for my hold on it at the library to come in.

Spinning and weaving with wool  by Paula Simmons.
ISBN: 0962558613    

It's supposed to be on page 179, and have instructions and a bill of materials. Let's hope so!

Happy building!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

butterlite
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006 03:01:16 PM »

you can get the swifts cheap at joanns.com, I got mine with the 50% off coupon !  30 buk ain't bad, but hey if my bro was around I woulda had him make me one as well!

the cris cross sticks are 13 3/4" long by 1/2" wide by 3/16 thick...all the holes of the sticks are drilled with 5/32 bit one in middle, 3/8" from each end and one in the middle`
there are 24 of them   so there are 6 interscetions... 6 x's facing side from the center attached to the top round and the bottom round and at center by wire (top and bottom) and by a metal facet in the center where the sticks cross then there are 6 x's facing out attached to the top and bottom of the side facing x's with string
a 1/2" dowl for the center pole with a cap on it, and  a bottom clamp

those are the measurements from my swift. hope that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eunnyjang
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006 03:39:10 PM »

Oh!  I've looked through that book.  If I remember correctly, it's not exactly like the ones you buy, but seems like it would get the job done.

That book really is invaluable - it includs plans to build your own drum carder with motor, a simple spinning wheel, and even a floor loom!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There will also be cocktail sauce.  -- Smoove B

See Eunny Knit!
Obsessed Knitter
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006 08:34:59 PM »

the cris cross sticks are 13 3/4" long by 1/2" wide by 3/16 thick...all the holes of the sticks are drilled with 5/32 bit one in middle, 3/8" from each end and one in the middle`
there are 24 of them   so there are 6 interscetions... 6 x's facing side from the center attached to the top round and the bottom round and at center by wire (top and bottom) and by a metal facet in the center where the sticks cross then there are 6 x's facing out attached to the top and bottom of the side facing x's with string
a 1/2" dowl for the center pole with a cap on it, and  a bottom clamp

those are the measurements from my swift. hope that helps.

Thank you so much! That definitely helped, and was exactly what I needed! I won't even need the book now!

Oh!  I've looked through that book.  If I remember correctly, it's not exactly like the ones you buy, but seems like it would get the job done.

That book really is invaluable - it includs plans to build your own drum carder with motor, a simple spinning wheel, and even a floor loom!

Thanks! I'm still going to look through it, because it did sound like a really good book, but I'm very hooked on the store bought version of umbrella swifts. Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

moriko_kitsune
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010 09:22:42 PM »

I found a book for $9 on how to make an umbrella swift. I haven't purchased it yet but it may help you.
here's the link:
http://www.woolery.com/pages/booksplans.html
and the name of the book:
Table Swift Construction Manual by Schneider: how to make a wooden umbrella swift.

Also I found this online:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lacis-Umbrella-Swift-Yarn-Winder/10727504

There are some more cheap ones available online now too.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010 10:42:12 PM by moriko_kitsune » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Confuzzle
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010 02:15:10 AM »

I got lucky and found mine at a second hand store for a dollar. It's nice when the people working there don't know what they have! Grin

It seems you have things under control now, though. Late to the party again! Good luck with it, and let us know how it works out. Your da may end up with a little side business.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
New Hairstyle: The Pixie Crop
Funky 50s Hairstyles
How to Hide Big Ears
How to Get Big Bouncy Curls
How to Get an Old Hollywood Glamour Side Part
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...