A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,171
Currently Running With Scissors:
521 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help - tweed yarn on a cone...in oil??  (Read 756 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zzjulia
New Knitter Attempts Blog

Woof!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 26, 2006 09:17:50 AM »

I have fallen madly in love with the Debbie Bliss Felted Tweed book.  However, since I can't afford to spring for Debbie Bliss tweed yarn or the Rowan Yorkshire Tweed ($14.95/hank!), I searched desperately for an alternative and found this one:

http://www.yarn.com/yarns-knitting/2-4-highlandTweed.html

Now, I can do yarn on a cone, but what's this business about being in oil?

"The yarn is still in spinning oil. The water will be a milky white as the oil washes out; the fabric will be soft."

I feel like I am buying tuna.  How on earth do I knit with oily yarn? Am I supposed to unwind into skeins and soak in hot water??  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zoe84
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006 10:33:13 AM »

I love knitting with coned yarn.  I personally don't wash the yarn before I knit with it, but I have heard of other people doing so.  The yarn will be kinda rough right off the cone, so I assume that is why they want it pre-washed.  (To me, that's just a lot of unnecessary extra work!) 

Whether you decide to pre-wash or not, be sure to use the gauge of a WASHED swatch, cause the yarn will almost certainly bloom quite a lot.  You might even want to wash it a couple or three times, just to make sure you get all the gunk out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sammyb

Mmm... Bowie...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006 11:03:04 AM »

I just bought two cones of fingering weight cashmere (mm... cashmere) that's the same way.  I totally agree with zoe84's comment about gauging AFTER washing.  It "puffs" up wonderfully! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every time Olive Oyl flails her noodle-like arms in the air and cries for Popeye's help, a feminist angel gets her wings ripped off her back.  (courtesy of mental_floss.)
tinaeatyourham
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006 11:08:10 AM »

I don't understand why the put it in oil---or are all yarns put in oil at some point? i'm confused
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zoe84
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006 11:12:02 AM »

I think that yarns sold on the cone are meant to be used for weaving or machine knitting, and the oil is necessary in that context.  For hand knitting, it just becomes an annoyance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
m*babylon

you can't get there from here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006 11:50:02 AM »

2 things:

skrillaknits works at WEBS (the site you linked), she may be able to answer your question for you...

also...it's called spinning oil...maybe some folks on the spinning board know what's up with this...i'm getting the feeling that oil might be used to tame the yarn down in machine spinning, and it washes out once the piece is cleaned, but i'm only guessing here...

eta:  i guessed correctly...sorta...it's to reduce static and breakage while spinning...particularly for wool that has lost it's natural oils during cleaning...google "spinning oil" and you'll get some knitting links. =]

and i don't think it's "in" oil, it sounds like it was oiled during the spinning process, and the coned yarn still has an oily feel.  i have a couple handspun yarns like this.
a*
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006 11:54:46 AM by m*babylon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

just a city boy, born & raised in south detroit
he took the midnight train going anywhere...
zzjulia
New Knitter Attempts Blog

Woof!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006 11:58:47 AM »

Thank you all for the explanations and suggestions.  That helps me a lot!  I have no problem buying Debbie Bliss or Rowan yarn usually, but for some reason, this particular pattern calls for 25 skeins! (*ulp*)

See my fantasy sweater:  the "Ribbed Swing"
http://www.theknittinggarden.com/db-tweedcoll.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookgirl
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006 12:22:00 PM »

I'm thinking about buying yarn from the same place and in the same condition.  So I'm curious about zzjulia's results -- did you buy the yarn?  Did you prewash?  Please share!  I'm a little intimidated by the whole spinning oil and "blooming" business and would love to hear about your experience.

thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Huvi
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006 02:25:24 PM »

Hoping this is not a dumb question but how do you you prewas yarn, especially on a cone?Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
djinnj
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2006 09:14:21 AM »

Hoping this is not a dumb question but how do you you prewas yarn, especially on a cone?Huh

You take it off the cone and put it up as hanks and then wash it.  Ditto if you're going to dye it, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Wavy Bob Hairstyle
ISH Ionic Rescue Pro Treatment Review
How to Create a Holiday Updo for Short Hair
Simple Way to Spice Up Your Hair
How to Create Retro Hair Style
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...