A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,056
Currently Running With Scissors:
777 Guests and 49 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP!! 3 crafty days till father's day  (Read 12040 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SarahFroggy
« on: June 16, 2004 07:35:17 PM »

k so i gotta make something for my dad and have no clue at all. i've looked at the MAN threads and nothing really works. so i though i would get the discussion going again since it is so soon and i'm sure i'm not the only one who hasn't made/bought anything yet. he works hard and, does handyman stuff/yardwork and for fun watches tv..hehe on and golfs but not much. so now that i've given some background and may have sparked some ideas....

HELP HELP HELP Tongue

thanks in advance
« Last Edit: June 16, 2004 07:36:49 PM by SarahFroggy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
retrokitty
rad to the bone

The New Year brings lots of crafting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004 07:52:57 PM »

Um...get some golf material and make a holder for the TV remote.  All dads watch TV, right?  Just make a pocket on one end that will hold the remote, then enough fabric so that it will fold over the arm of his chair, (he has a specific chair, right?) and put a weight on the other end that is slightly heavier than the remote.  Wrap it in took paper and you're good to go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Colleen

Check out my crafting blog @ http://sillypanda.wordpress.com & Send me a link to yours, I love reading new blogs!
SarahFroggy
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004 08:05:18 PM »

thats a great idea but he already has one..hehe its this hound dog. kinda cute really Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftymed
now with 2 sidekick dogs!!

Crafty with an M.D. (finally!)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004 08:37:45 PM »

does he need something for the yardwork?  like a Man-ly (ie. not girlie with lace) apron?  or a tool-belt like-type thing?  lots of pockets on anything might work.  guys like pockets.  a comfy pillow for the recliner/sofa?  a robe to lounge around la casa?  decorate one of those wooden TV trays in a Man-ly fashion?  just pulling stuff out of the air here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everything I know about sewing I learned in suture class.
SarahFroggy
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004 07:33:26 AM »

great ideas craftymed. was thinking some more and though some sort of cottage survival kit might work.

w're going up this weekend so it would be a perfect timing for the gift and since there is no tv and once it gets dark he gets bored (my mom and i sew and create like its going out of style)..hehe so i though maybe crossword book, woodworking magazine and some snackies of some sort.

but not sure of packaging or other things that might be cool to include hmm anyone got any ideas?

still brainstorming.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2004 07:36:42 AM »

k so i gotta make something for my dad and have no clue at all. i've looked at the MAN threads and nothing really works. so i though i would get the discussion going again since it is so soon and i'm sure i'm not the only one who hasn't made/bought anything yet. he works hard and, does handyman stuff/yardwork and for fun watches tv..hehe on and golfs but not much. so now that i've given some background and may have sparked some ideas....

HELP HELP HELP Tongue

thanks in advance

For some reason my Dad always goes nuts over framed pictures of us kids.  So I took a plain wooden frame from Ikea and painted it.  And then I scanned and printed out two pictures -- one of us as young kids sitting on his lap and then one of us as adults.  I sized them so they fit side by side in the same frame.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
SarahFroggy
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004 07:42:28 AM »

thats a great idea leah, but i don't live at home. so i'd have to sneak around on friday when we're there for half a hour. might work for next yr though..hehe then i can pre sneak. Smiley

trying to think of packaging now for the survival kit idea. maybe a little cloth bag? doesn't seem manly..hehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftymed

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2004 07:52:59 AM »

yea, but if you made it with man-ly fabric it might be okay.  like something with fish or hunting dogs or john deere.  does he get cold up in the cottage?  how about a quick blanket?  just some cool fabric, 1 package o' batting, some muslin for the back, and blanket binding.  it can be done in an evening.  you'd be surprised.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2004 07:59:23 AM »

Love the idea of a cottage survival kit. (Whenever I'm at a loss for a gift, I usually end up giving a 'kit' --- relaxation kit, breakfast in bed kit, sewing kit, picnic kit, you name it.)

Magazines and puzzles are great; maybe also add a deck of cards?

Snack stuff: you could either go with stuff that your family traditionally associates with 'cottage food', or you could buy some of those chocolate 'moose droppings' and other pseudo-nature gag items; some beer would probably be appreciated too!

Pack it all in a backpack or a picnic basket, or get one of those waterproof cargo bags from MEC or Trailhead or wherever (they might even carry them at Canuck Tire, I'm not sure).

If your father's anything like mine, he misses his high-tech gadgets when he's at the cottage (laptop, palm, cell phone, etc.) --- it could be really fun to make these out of cardboard as a joke, so he could still 'feel' as though he's got his gadgets with him. (This could be as elaborate or as simple as you like...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
SarahFroggy
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2004 08:06:35 AM »

ohh some good ideas thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
retrokitty
rad to the bone

The New Year brings lots of crafting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2004 09:47:00 AM »

Does he like ... uh ... I can't remember the official term, but you know ...where you use knives to make shapes out of wood?  Anyway, since you're going camping and there's lots of wood outside, (ha) getting some of these knives might be cool.  They he could be crafty too!  And less bored.  And they would fit in your kit as long as you made them a little cover, so they didn't cut anything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Colleen

Check out my crafting blog @ http://sillypanda.wordpress.com & Send me a link to yours, I love reading new blogs!
hillarybillary
your a pansy I'm a cowboy....

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2004 09:50:14 AM »

wittiling or widdiling im not sure which one is correct. But I do believe thats the word you are looking for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SarahFroggy
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2004 11:29:20 AM »

so somwhere out of the blue i was thinking..fathers day..brainstorming and such and was thinking shirts and ties. and then it hit me(this is going to make me sound nuts)

the Cat clothes post http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=5878.0

it had a link to cute cat outfits from japan. http://www.petoffice.co.jp/catprin/english/ i had showed these to my dad one day and he though they were hillarious..and our cat is such a ham he might actually go for it

so i made some shirt collar w/tie things for my parents cat and dog..hehe they are going to be soo cute all decked out. course the dog hates the camera so this will for sure be an adventure. i'm afraid to post pics cause of everyone and their fear of copyright issues.

going to slip these inside the cottage survival kit..they don't go together at all but they will sure add some entertainment to the weekend.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2004 11:34:27 AM by SarahFroggy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftymed

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2004 01:46:01 PM »

those cats are hysterical!  glad you've finally settled on something.  my dad's day gift is going to be late (he's been forwarned) due to my giant 8hr exam on Monday.  i'm making a CD with songs from this old tape that we used to listen to in the car when he took me to school when i was a kid.  i don't know where the tape had disappeared to for about 10 years, but i found it, and it sounds pretty bad.  i can figure out what's on it (it's some 60's music) so i can do a little Napster/iTunes and make a CD.  i have to figure out some cool CD cover/case type thing for it though.

oh, and bribe your dog with treats.  totally worked for mine.  now any time i take out the camera, she sits and poses for it, hoping she'll get a treat.  ah, they say dogs are sooo smart...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SarahFroggy
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2004 01:48:31 PM »

its the sound of the digital that he hates. it makes this high pitched sound when you turn it on. just creeps him right out.

i love your idea. that is so cute. you should (using leah's idea) take photos and photoshop them together..i'm sure he'd like that. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ph33lth3lov3

*when in doubt go duct*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2004 02:52:25 AM »

wow- thanks guys.
I was freaking out too, until i read this post.
My dad gets everything he wants when he wants it, and is very 'digital', making gift-giving difficult.
I think i'm gonna go with the remote holder, we can never find the remotes!
Thanks again!
happy father's day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

let me see your gila
http://www.gilabuttons.com -your one stop button shop
pixelpusher
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2004 06:26:47 AM »

Any ideas for  dads who are frequent travelers?  My father in law travels between the US and France every month and a step-father in law who travels the world, not staying in one place too long at all.  One is laid back, doberman-having, beer drinking, beach loving, the other is posh, only-the-best, but still laid back, is English, likes cars and obviously traveling.

(already got my dad a cast iron griddle to use on the grill and plan to make some oven mitts with long cuffs for grilling OR an apron.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2004 06:58:43 AM »

re: travellers,
how about a travel document case type deal.  With a slot for tickets, a slot for passport, and maybe matching eyemask and a little pouch for earplugs?  I made a simple zippered pouch for that purpose for myself and embroidered a little plane on it:

You could do a wallet style one with the slots (ooh, and credit card sized slots for frequent flier cards) and a matching little bag for the eyemask/earplugs.    Having one place for all the stuff you need at the airport is really handy - especially now that you need to whip that stuff out at every corner.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SarahFroggy
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2004 07:17:30 AM »

for the traveller i was thiking one of those roll up things for his toiletries..i saw a link somewhere..aaha found it http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=5774.0 its the second post down by diabolica its like the art tool case but for organizing.

on another note. i can't wait to see what my dad thinks of his present..he's gonna laugh so hard at the little outfits..i might post a pic if i can get one. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beccajo

I Lurve to Craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2004 09:25:55 AM »

two words:
Beer Cozy

Grin
hahahahaha

I think I'm actually going to try and make one for my pop's pop! And barley pop!

Another thing that just came to me....5 gallon bucket cozy....anyone know what I'm talkin' bout?
it's like a cuff of canvas that goes aound the top, with part hanging inside and part outside....there's pockets and loops around the top and bottom so they can use the bucket inside and hook tools and such around the outside...my dad has 2 or 3 of them and he LOVES them...you load them up with as many tools as you need and take it from job to job......
THIS ROCKS   Logged

won't you brighten a wee cat's day?

www.eoinadesigns.co m/shop.html
SarahFroggy
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2004 09:59:38 AM »

the funny thing is my first though was a bucket cozy but i didn't have any way to go get a bucket and i wanted to use fabric that i already had.  also wasn't sure of technique..hehe Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beccajo

I Lurve to Craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2004 10:03:12 AM »

I think I may use these giant cat litter buckets....I've got two I can not part with!

See if there's a cafe or something in your neighborhood that would give you one-or the big home supply stores sell them for like $2!!

good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SarahFroggy
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2004 10:04:12 AM »

might do that for next year..since they are picking me up at 4 and its one now..hehe gotta pack some crafties for the weekend at the cottage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
megtell
materialmama.com

Material Mama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2004 10:44:08 AM »

I'm making my father a fabric bowl for chips etc.  For my dh I'm going to stencil our daughter's on a tee or on fabric and frame it.  Not sure yet.  Have fun!

Oh I have also given a large (decorated of course LOL) bowl, and filled it with microwave popcorn, hot chocolate envelopes, pepermint schnapps, gift certificates to NetFlix.

He also really liked when we gave him a chimney cleaning (made a cute gift certificate LOL)

Smiley
Meg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rahrah

meow, meow, purrrrr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2004 07:04:53 PM »

Hi there,
I just did a journal post on what I made my Dad - I baked him authentic Italian biscotti...so easy & delicious. I put it in a tin & tied it up with a colorful, thrift shop neck tie.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010 04:09:59 PM by jungrrl - Reason: edited to comply with Craftster guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged

illustration & other creative endeavours,
visit me
www.deborahmerlo.co m
Jenguin

That's not YOUR chicken!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2004 11:21:45 PM »

My father's day gift went off pretty well. My father collects ball markers (usually they have the golf course's name on it, some kind of snazzy detail, etc) and I noticed he just had them placed on his golf ball frame/shelf. You couldn't see them very well and his collection was growing.

Using a record album frame, 'make your own corkboard' corkboard squares, black foamcore, some ribbon, and a small (lame) painting job -- voila, I made him a framed ball marker board.

Cutting the foamcore to use as a mat frame around the corkboard.

See? Also cut the corkboard to fit within the foamcore frame.

Yup. It fit!

Covering up the edges with a green ribbon. Also, painted in the corner of the corkboard portion. Let it dry before you put the ribbon on. I also used a gloss coat over the acrylic - it just looked way too dry on the corkboard.

Finished product.

I also added a second corkboard square to the back because some of the markers have longer pins and would need the thicker back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beccajo

I Lurve to Craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2004 01:49:10 PM »

oooh the cork deal is very close to what my mom got my dad for f-day!

I ended up scrapping the bucket AND the beer cozy in favor of a leaf blower. He really likes it (it's electric so not as bad for the environment) and I realized it can help me dry my industrial sized painting jobs that I do in my mom's studio! HA!

Oh well, his birthday is just after the New Year and I never know what to make him...I'll have to remember this thread!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

slurpymundae

qu'est-ce que fack?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2005 11:47:19 AM »

You guys are AMAZING!! I gathered a bunch of ideas from what you guys said and am making a TV package for my dad. He has a big screen TV and it is his baby! I am making a remote control pouch to hang on his chair's arm (he's always babbling about us losing them so if we put them in there they can always be found!) He also has friends over a lot to watch movies and maybe I could make some kick-ass golf themed beer cozies (all his friends + him seem to love golfing) so I'd probably do two of those. Then I'm trying to decide which TV series to buy him on DVD. Maybe add a few packs of popcorn (maybe I can go to Kernels and get some gourmet stuff! He can have his friends over to share it!) Throw it all together and VOILA! Now I just need to find some time to create!

I have until the 3rd Sunday in June to work on these presents (I'm in Canada) and I believe underneath my new apartment there is a community center and I swear I saw sewing machines down there which, I hope, are free to use! WAHOO! Otherwise, I'll have to try to go home now and then to slowly finish projects on my sewing machine at home but it's RIGHT NEAR HIS TV so I don't want him to see them! Haha!

Thanks again, guys! You always get my minds revved, and the people on this board never ever fail to amaze me with their crafty skills! Smiley

-Stace

EDIT: My dad loved the controller holder part SO MUCH that he took it in to work today to show all of his friends! I THINK i am going to CRY, that is the cutest! Gotta love dads! LoL!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005 03:15:15 PM by slurpymundae » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"need less, use less, we're asking for too much, i guess... i know, i know you've tried to change things. i know." -metric
McJulie-O
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2005 08:37:24 PM »

For packaging, how about one of those canvas thingies that fits inside a bucket and holds tools? Oh dear, I am not describing this very well at all...anyhow Black and Decker makes a canvas liner that, when it sits in a bucket, has pockets both on the inside and the outside and hold all the gizmo-ma-bobs you could ever want.

O r you could package your survival kit in a tool box or fishing tackle box, the kind that kind of "accordions" out when you open it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poisoned creations
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2007 12:28:33 PM »

You guys are AMAZING!! I gathered a bunch of ideas from what you guys said and am making a TV package for my dad. He has a big screen TV and it is his baby! I am making a remote control pouch to hang on his chair's arm (he's always babbling about us losing them so if we put them in there they can always be found!) He also has friends over a lot to watch movies and maybe I could make some kick-ass golf themed beer cozies (all his friends + him seem to love golfing) so I'd probably do two of those. Then I'm trying to decide which TV series to buy him on DVD. Maybe add a few packs of popcorn (maybe I can go to Kernels and get some gourmet stuff! He can have his friends over to share it!) Throw it all together and VOILA! Now I just need to find some time to create!

I have until the 3rd Sunday in June to work on these presents (I'm in Canada) and I believe underneath my new apartment there is a community center and I swear I saw sewing machines down there which, I hope, are free to use! WAHOO! Otherwise, I'll have to try to go home now and then to slowly finish projects on my sewing machine at home but it's RIGHT NEAR HIS TV so I don't want him to see them! Haha!

Thanks again, guys! You always get my minds revved, and the people on this board never ever fail to amaze me with their crafty skills! Smiley

-Stace

EDIT: My dad loved the controller holder part SO MUCH that he took it in to work today to show all of his friends! I THINK i am going to CRY, that is the cutest! Gotta love dads! LoL!

What did you use as the weight for the holder to stay on the chair?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missmoo
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2009 05:56:19 AM »

-Stace

I made one for my dad last year and for the weight i sewed an inch to two inch wide pocket the at bottom and filled it with rice them sewed it closed and it works wonders.

It was actually the best thing Dad could have received as he hasn't lost his remotes since. My dads recliner has wide arm rests so i measured that and the drop then added the length i wanted. I did one big  pocket and then two smaller pockets on the outside of the big one so he could put the tv guide in the big pocket and remotes in the small one. I used cord and denim as it helps it be non slip too on my dads chair.

Thanks for the ideas in this thread, i was looking for my partners bday present next weekend and might make him a survival type present and a odds and ends tray that the kids can decorate.

What did you use as the weight for the holder to stay on the chair?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose the Right Studio Lights
How to Set Up a Portrait Photo Shoot
How to Do Portrait Photography
How to Take Headshots
Learn Basic Photography Techniques
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...