A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 301,553
Currently Running With Scissors:
476 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP!! 3 crafty days till father's day  (Read 13485 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SarahFroggy
« on: June 16, 2004 07:35:17 PM »

k so i gotta make something for my dad and have no clue at all. i've looked at the MAN threads and nothing really works. so i though i would get the discussion going again since it is so soon and i'm sure i'm not the only one who hasn't made/bought anything yet. he works hard and, does handyman stuff/yardwork and for fun watches tv..hehe on and golfs but not much. so now that i've given some background and may have sparked some ideas....

HELP HELP HELP Tongue

thanks in advance
« Last Edit: June 16, 2004 07:36:49 PM by SarahFroggy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
retrokitty
rad to the bone

The New Year brings lots of crafting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004 07:52:57 PM »

Um...get some golf material and make a holder for the TV remote.  All dads watch TV, right?  Just make a pocket on one end that will hold the remote, then enough fabric so that it will fold over the arm of his chair, (he has a specific chair, right?) and put a weight on the other end that is slightly heavier than the remote.  Wrap it in took paper and you're good to go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Colleen

Check out my crafting blog @ http://sillypanda.wordpress.com & Send me a link to yours, I love reading new blogs!
SarahFroggy
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004 08:05:18 PM »

thats a great idea but he already has one..hehe its this hound dog. kinda cute really Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftymed
now with 2 sidekick dogs!!

Crafty with an M.D. (finally!)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004 08:37:45 PM »

does he need something for the yardwork?  like a Man-ly (ie. not girlie with lace) apron?  or a tool-belt like-type thing?  lots of pockets on anything might work.  guys like pockets.  a comfy pillow for the recliner/sofa?  a robe to lounge around la casa?  decorate one of those wooden TV trays in a Man-ly fashion?  just pulling stuff out of the air here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everything I know about sewing I learned in suture class.
SarahFroggy
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004 07:33:26 AM »

great ideas craftymed. was thinking some more and though some sort of cottage survival kit might work.

w're going up this weekend so it would be a perfect timing for the gift and since there is no tv and once it gets dark he gets bored (my mom and i sew and create like its going out of style)..hehe so i though maybe crossword book, woodworking magazine and some snackies of some sort.

but not sure of packaging or other things that might be cool to include hmm anyone got any ideas?

still brainstorming.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2004 07:36:42 AM »

k so i gotta make something for my dad and have no clue at all. i've looked at the MAN threads and nothing really works. so i though i would get the discussion going again since it is so soon and i'm sure i'm not the only one who hasn't made/bought anything yet. he works hard and, does handyman stuff/yardwork and for fun watches tv..hehe on and golfs but not much. so now that i've given some background and may have sparked some ideas....

HELP HELP HELP Tongue

thanks in advance

For some reason my Dad always goes nuts over framed pictures of us kids.  So I took a plain wooden frame from Ikea and painted it.  And then I scanned and printed out two pictures -- one of us as young kids sitting on his lap and then one of us as adults.  I sized them so they fit side by side in the same frame.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
SarahFroggy
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004 07:42:28 AM »

thats a great idea leah, but i don't live at home. so i'd have to sneak around on friday when we're there for half a hour. might work for next yr though..hehe then i can pre sneak. Smiley

trying to think of packaging now for the survival kit idea. maybe a little cloth bag? doesn't seem manly..hehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftymed
now with 2 sidekick dogs!!

Crafty with an M.D. (finally!)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2004 07:52:59 AM »

yea, but if you made it with man-ly fabric it might be okay.  like something with fish or hunting dogs or john deere.  does he get cold up in the cottage?  how about a quick blanket?  just some cool fabric, 1 package o' batting, some muslin for the back, and blanket binding.  it can be done in an evening.  you'd be surprised.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everything I know about sewing I learned in suture class.
trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2004 07:59:23 AM »

Love the idea of a cottage survival kit. (Whenever I'm at a loss for a gift, I usually end up giving a 'kit' --- relaxation kit, breakfast in bed kit, sewing kit, picnic kit, you name it.)

Magazines and puzzles are great; maybe also add a deck of cards?

Snack stuff: you could either go with stuff that your family traditionally associates with 'cottage food', or you could buy some of those chocolate 'moose droppings' and other pseudo-nature gag items; some beer would probably be appreciated too!

Pack it all in a backpack or a picnic basket, or get one of those waterproof cargo bags from MEC or Trailhead or wherever (they might even carry them at Canuck Tire, I'm not sure).

If your father's anything like mine, he misses his high-tech gadgets when he's at the cottage (laptop, palm, cell phone, etc.) --- it could be really fun to make these out of cardboard as a joke, so he could still 'feel' as though he's got his gadgets with him. (This could be as elaborate or as simple as you like...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
SarahFroggy
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2004 08:06:35 AM »

ohh some good ideas thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Vivienne Westwood Gold Label - Paris Spring 2014 - Interviews & Runway
The 5 Must-Have Boots For Fall
How to Look Taller Instantly
Threads | A Look At The Crooks & Castles Fall and Spring Streetwear Lines
5 Ways to Wear a Faux Fur Vest
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Solar Light Garden Mushroom
Artsy Garden
Meatless Monday: Falafel without Frying

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...