A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,801
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: groundhog pillow  (Read 4544 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kumf
« on: June 16, 2004 06:22:48 PM »

I made this about a month ago but just got around to posting it now. Pillow is made of felt. The groundhog shape was affixed via fusible web stuff; then I sewed the pillow together with my machine and stuffed it. Took less than thirty minutes! Smiley
http://img7.photobucket.com/albums/v21/superkumf/IM000391.jpg
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010 08:54:29 PM by pixieval - Reason: removed broken pic links » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am the backwards traveller/Ancient wool unraveller ~Paul McCartney
Goddess
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004 06:31:05 PM »

*jumps up and down* that is so darling! I love it! It looks professionally done...are you selling?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stunnedbannana
I love mixed media and all things vintage

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004 06:49:53 PM »

bravo Kiss
that pillow brightened my day. what a cute little groundhog pillow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SarahFroggy
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004 07:18:09 PM »

that is soo cute Cheesy. i love fusible web. but have a hard time with felt and the iron. any tips? or is my only problem the hot iron.  i never follow the directions for the fusible stuff -low setting= yuckies, i have better luck with it really hot, of course i usually fuse 100% cottons
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iLoVeCaReBeArS
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2004 07:31:44 PM »

I love it!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

boo
logan
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2004 07:45:56 PM »

Oh, that's so adorable!
It gives me so many ideas for other felt pillows. Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

quarkiegirl

Keep it loose, keep it tight.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2004 09:21:25 PM »

awesome! my boyfriend's birthday is on groundhog day and i will need to make him some groundhog crafts this year!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kumf
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2004 10:47:54 AM »

that is soo cute Cheesy. i love fusible web. but have a hard time with felt and the iron. any tips? or is my only problem the hot iron.  i never follow the directions for the fusible stuff -low setting= yuckies, i have better luck with it really hot, of course i usually fuse 100% cottons

I have to admit that before I actually used the fusible web I read the directions 100 times.  I also made sure the iron was on the right setting. What kind of felt are you using, acrylic or wool?  My pillow is made out of acrylic felt, so I used the setting for that. That is the only tip I can give you, besides the usual "read the directions" with a stern, librarian face.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SarahFroggy
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2004 12:00:47 PM »

hehe directions suck though. as far as the ones for fusing cottons anyways. it never sticks. thats why i cranked up the iron temp. but yeah for acrylic felt. probably not the best idea. haven't melted felt doing that but have trying to heat set some gocco prints. so now i'm stuck at how to get the image to be heat set without melting the felt completely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Laamissa
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2004 08:56:03 PM »

AMAZING!!!  nICe WoRk KuMf!
this is such a fresh new idea!  How well does this fusible web hold up to wear?  Ive always been tempted to try it but chickened out?

I could see this pillow in a store like urban outfitters...but it would be like $39 bucks or something!
 BRAVO! ~M
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*D.I.Y or BUST!*~

www.Pumpky.etsy.com
SarahFroggy
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2004 07:27:33 AM »

as for the wear of fusible web. i always stitch around the edge of the piece after either by hand which i prefer(like my avatar) or machine. sometimes it doesn't stick completely and i'd hate to see it fall off. also makes it a bit more decorative.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kumf
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2004 08:33:40 PM »

You know I just had a thought, are you using a pressing cloth when you iron the fusible web?  It can be muslin or light cotton fabric.  Wet the fabric and lay it over the felt, ironing over the pressing cloth until it appears dry.  Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SarahFroggy
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2004 09:07:18 PM »

my bad luck with the felt and iron was a result of trying to heat set a gocco print on felt. they suggested paper btwn the felt and the iron but fabric might be a better idea. i'll give it a whirl. also i though heat set needed to be done with a really hot iron. but i'm sure acceptions can be made when the item isn't ironable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahdotcom

I'm not a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2004 09:41:52 PM »

Oh, how did I miss this post!  That cushion's gorgeous!

This isn't going to help anyone with fusible web, but as for SarahFroggy - instead of heat setting with an iron, try a hairdryer instead.  It's always worked for me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog, fingers and toes
SarahFroggy
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2004 09:53:18 PM »

ooh a hair dryer. that might work. will experiment tomorrow thanks Smiley i was thinking about someone on here saying they used the clothes dryer but then i imagined the melted felt mess in either my apartment building's only dryer or my parents' at home..not good either way Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahdotcom

I'm not a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2004 04:05:10 AM »

It's a trick I picked up from my artist friends.  About two minutes should do it, and hopefully if you keep the hairdryer moving it won't melt the felt.  Fingers crossed!  Maybe you should try it on a scrap piece first.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog, fingers and toes
kumf
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2004 01:53:22 PM »

*jumps up and down* that is so darling! I love it! It looks professionally done...are you selling?

Yes!  The pillow is now on ebay.  If you or anyone else is interested, please feel free to bid.  Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4311672226 .  Good luck to any and all bidders Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

munzder
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2004 02:19:32 PM »

I LOve it! I'm gunna make a pillow from felt. I have like 15 piilows on my bed. Not countign the ones I bought. Sorry I just go crazy! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wasabipeasrule

Nuffin' but muffins

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2004 10:02:10 AM »

::gasp:: So cute! I have this thing for groundhogs, don't know why. Very nice pillow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Um, hi everyone, I'm sarah, and I'm a craftaholic...
atomiqt
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2004 12:59:04 PM »

Wow, that is so adorable! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dirtylinda
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2004 08:44:41 PM »

this is about the greatest thing i've ever seen.  i am jealous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
needlepointnelly
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2004 08:33:34 AM »

awww, that is adorable
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Buy Crochet Supplies
How to Add Crochet Embellishments to Clothing
How to Convert a Crochet Pattern Into a Knitting Pattern
Single Crochet Stitches
How to Crochet a Purse
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...