A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,362
Currently Running With Scissors:
591 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cheap Needles in BULK needed...help...  (Read 8532 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

natagirl
What's your theme song?

Sifl & Olly - ROCK!

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2006 07:17:17 PM »

Ok - I am a Residence Hall Coordinator (I live and work in a 'dorm' at a University) and my residents and RA's  want to start a SnB.  To make it developmental....so I look like I am doing my job...blah, blah, blah, we have a plan.

We want to provide the first set of needles and yarn to those who come - we will teach them to make a simple garter stitch scarf, they give it back to us, and we donate it to a locate non-profit group that helps mothers with diapers, food, clothes, ect.

We want to let them keep thier needles and left over yarn...no problem finding cheap yarn, but bulk needles has proved difficult.  I thought maybe you all might know where to look. 

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'm a bad woman, but i'm damn good company.
vaudeville comedian fannie brice
Duckie

Fifty-seven academics just punched the air.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006 07:25:38 PM »

You could try making them from dowels and Fimo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittastic

i like to make!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006 07:29:35 PM »

the best i can think of beside making ur own is to go to joann's..... they have cheapo needles in their notions bins. i think maybe $2 a pair? that price is for the circs.... straight needles may be even less. good luck, have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

there are two ways to get by in this life, and thats to be oh so hard or oh so pleasant. i find its much better to be pleasant.
MissMeshell
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006 07:31:47 PM »

I don't know about you but my local opshops (thrift stores) have buckets and buckets of knitting needles of all different sizes $1 a pair so maybe check places like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Frew-Frew
Caution: Eye Irritant

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006 07:37:11 PM »

I've been having the same issues. i've been buying needles for a group home I'm volunteering at, but honestly, even the joannes needles add up. 8 pairs of size 8's still adds up to $16 plus tax. Now when we start going into other sizes it gets more and more expensive. I'm been looking in the thrift stores, but locally I tend to find circs and that's about it. I pick them up whenever I can though. If you find a source, let me know.

I've thought about making them, too, but the time to put into making that many gets to be a bit daunting. I think I'd rather spend the cash to buy them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chuck Norris does not knit. He bangs the table, and the shockwaves force the yarn to create clothing.

http://frousworld.blogspot.com/
awgoodkitty

Beware, Pawlette. Kitten of Evil. Yarn stealer.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006 11:48:51 PM »

If you use the coupon code CELEBRATE652 on the Joann.com site you can get any one  item 50% off.  They have knitting needle sets on sale for  $17.95 which you could get for $9 with the coupon.  "candycane swirl stripes in festive colors. Set includes candy striped needles in sizes 8, 9, 10, 11, 13 and 15. Conveniently packaged in a reusable plastic bag. "  They also have  Clover Bamboo needle gift set that consists of a pair of each article 3012 knitting needles in sizes 8, 9, 10, 10-1/2, 11, 13 and 15. Comes with a tapestry-print cotton fabric with black interior and binding with a velcro closure.  It's $40.99 which you could get for $21 with the coupon.

Ebay also sells needles in bulk - usually from estate sales.  You might be able to get some REAL bargains that way.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You must do the thing you think you cannot do."
Eleanor Roosevelt
n u l l g a l
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006 12:19:19 AM »

I don't know where to find needles in bulk, i just wanted to say how cool it is that you're doing this.  I wish they would have done something that neat when i was in living on campus.  So, good initiative!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fear not, for I am with you.
Is. 41:10
Inara
I am cute little bunny. I pose no threat to society

It's hard to work in groups when you're omnipotent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006 12:25:31 AM »

If the Target near you has a $1 section, they have two different sizes of green aluminum knitting needles available (and I think two sizes of bamboo, but they looked kind of splinter-y to me)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sleep beckons. Also waves. Also makes threatening gestures and hops up and down until I notice. - Neil Gaiman

http://effulgentstudios.etsy.com
http://inara-knits.blogspot.com
alexafree
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006 04:52:31 AM »

http://www.taraknits.com/ sells used needles for cheaper than in the store but may still add up to more you than you want to spend.  Undecided

(BTW, I never find any kneedles at thrift stores here. I hate that.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
natagirl
What's your theme song?

Sifl & Olly - ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006 06:32:48 AM »

WOW!  All those are such great suggestions.  I am going to start calling around to all the thrift stores in town, check the sites and make a trip to Target at lunch.

I have never made my own but will look into that too.

And if I ever find any in bulk, I will definitely post it.  It seems like others would be into that.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'm a bad woman, but i'm damn good company.
vaudeville comedian fannie brice
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Off Book: The Evolution of 8-Bit Art
Off Book: The Birth of the Animated GIF Medium
Off Book: Arts and Creative Projects in the Internet Age
Working with the New Basics Panel
How to Draw Gemma Arterton from Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...