A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,945
Currently Running With Scissors:
375 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ebay Sewing Machine - Vent  (Read 4431 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheDishclothQueen
« on: January 25, 2006 04:00:03 PM »

I should have known better.

I have a perfectly fine, basic Singer.  What I want, though, is an old, heavy metal Singer.  In a perfect world, I'd want a Touch 'n' Sew, like my mom has, but those are going for outrageous amounts.  When I saw this on ebay, though, I thought I could be happy with it.  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8249788596&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

The description reads as follows (emphasis mine):

"UP FOR AUCTION IS THIS SINGER CREATIVE TOUCH FASHION SEWING MACHINE 1036, GREAT SINGER SEWING MACHINE THAT REQUIRES NO OILING,  [b]IT HAS TWELVE BUILT IN STITCHES THAT ALL FUNCTION WELL[/b] COME WITH INSTRUCTION BOOK, AND EXTRA PARTS, ALSO INCLUDED IS THE ORIGINAL SINGER FOOT CONTROL PEDAL AND CORD. COMES ALSO WITH  LEATHER CARRYING CASE THAT HAS SINGER WRITTEN ON IT,  IT HAS  LOTS OF FEATURES, EMAIL WITH ANY QUESTIONS-----THANKS"

Now I don't know about your world, but in my world, that means the damn thing works.

Only after thoroughly cleaning lint globs from the bobbin area and under the machine (my mom took the bottom plate off and cleaned in there), did the machine run at all.  The pattern stitch selector was reluctant to move at all, however we got that loosened up and it moves to all the stitches now.

We had the machine running well for about 20 minutes.  We tried all the stitches; all worked well.  Then I began zig-zagging some items.  In the middle of this, I could hear something slip, and now only the straight sitch will lock into place.  In zig-zag mode, when the needle moves to the left, it slides into place, moving the fabric with it.  It does a straight stitch relatively well, though it still looks a bit "wonky" at times.  On no other stitch, however, will it lock into place.

I don't dare take it to a shop; they're going to charge me $50 just to set it on the counter.  I emailed a repairman, and he told me:

"Unfortunately,  from your e-mail it sounds to me as if the cam stack gear is either stripped or slipping and you are looking at over $100.00 to repair.  I strongly suggest reporting this incident to e-Bay and the institution in which you paid the e-Bayer with, ie. Visa, Mastercard, PayPal, etc."

When I received the machine, the tension dial had snapped on in shipping.  I emailed the seller to notify her.  She quickly responded, saying, "Let me know if there is anything I can do do help." 

I emailed her yesterday about the MAJOR problem, and have conviently heard nothing.  I have filed a claim with ebay.

My other problem, though, is that I paid with a money order.  So I can't even go to PayPal, Visa, etc... to have them back me up. 

I AM SO PISSED.

Okay.  I just needed to vent.  I knew you guys would sympathize.

Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
razorsharp

rely a bit too heavily on alcohol and irony.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006 01:37:41 PM »

Find the return address on the shipping box and buy a baseball bat. Put two and two together.

That sucks, Sad I'm really sorry. I was actually thinking about picking a machine up on eBay because I don't have one. But now I don't think I'll even try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

design. dye. knit. spin. sip.
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006 08:38:58 PM »

I did finally get a response from the seller, but only after I filed a dispute. 

She said she would refund my money, and I should send her the machine and the tracking number.  I wanted to know if she was planning on refunding my shipping both ways.  She said, "Will not pay return shipping.  --Thanks"  I said, "Why should I be out $16 because you sold me a damaged item?"

I haven't heard back yet.  I have no plans of spending $16 on nothing.  I WILL win, damnit!

I hope  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
MissMeshell
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006 11:46:28 PM »

Oh that's awful Angry
From his/her feedback you can see this damaged or 'damaged in post' has happened a quite a few other times too, they obviously don't take much care in packing items.
Unfortunately I think the seller is within their rights to not fully refund postage, stupid I know but I don't know if you can do much about it (may be different on Australian Ebay that I use though, so good luck on getting a full refund anyway!)

*hugs*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006 08:51:50 AM »

So not to be snarky, just curious:  how can it be w/i their rights to not fully refund the postage?  I mean, if I just didn't want the item, I'd understand, but this was clearly damaged even before it was shipped.

I just wanna know what the sellers rights are before I get too snarky with him  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006 09:53:28 AM »

According to the information in the "item significantly different than described" section of Ebay's dispute center, it says that one way in which a seller can arrange to settle the claim is to "offer a refundthe seller can offer a full or partial refund to the buyer to attempt to resolve the dispute"  However, if the seller makes you an offer and you refuse it, your only next step is to submit a "Standard Purchase Protection Program" claim.  Under the terms of this claim, the shipping and handling fees are not applicable, and you can be reimbursed up to 100% of the purchase price less a $25 fee, so if the seller offered you the purchase price of $41 but not the $16 shipping fee, then you have to weigh that against knowing that going further you'll only get a maximum of $41 minus $25 back from Ebay.

What I would suggest is asking for the seller to cover half the shipping both ways.  Since it is their fault the item was not as described and they are asking you to ship the item back to accomodate your refund, they should take responsibility for some of the shipping.  However, under the circumstances, I would expect a compromise, and so failing a full refund of both shipping costs, I would accept a partial refund if I were you.  You don't have a whole lot of options.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006 10:01:49 AM »

Ugh. I think I may now hate ebay.  I did now write the seller and tell him I was willing to accept a full refund, minus return shipping.  I'm not thrilled with it (in fact, I'm super pissed that I am essentially paying them $16 to take back a broken machine), but it seems to be better than the alternative.  Sigh. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gaiter_girl

Hullo, My name is Bear. Grrrrrrrrrr.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006 10:10:35 AM »

eBay can be a really great place to find random things but "caveat emptor" really applies.  I had a similar problem (big ticket item that was NOT as described) and it was such a huge hassle to get my $ back. 

Basically now I'm a little leery of buying things from eBay unless it's for an amount of money I feel I can lose without breaking the bank if something goes wrong.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My my...aren't we a knotty little girl?
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006 11:52:43 AM »

I've never purchased anything big on Ebay.  My DAD has (tractor, truck, backhoe...) but I think the maximum I've spent was still under $20. It's good for things like beads, yarn, etc.  I would stear clear of other things, if only because I work for a packing and shipping company, so I know what can go wrong with electronics just from regular shipping, even if they ARE well packed.  But yeah, it's really best if you stick with money you can afford to lose.

I've only had one close shave, and otherwise have had great experiences, both as a buyer and a seller.  I bought some stones, and I sent payment after getting an email from the guy, and all of a sudden he was flooded with terrible feedback, and I panicked, but then my paypal payment was bounced because he'd gotten suspended RIGHT before I sent it.  Phew!!  So, I DIDN'T get taken. Cheesy  But I'd have lost about $15 if I had, so that's really the way to go, I think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
green monk
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006 12:58:35 PM »

wow...i think have been scared out of ever using ebay.  this summer two of the people i worked with had their credit card numbers stolen from their paypal account and used! two people in one summer! it was so freaky i dont know how it could be a coincidence! and then i hear terrible reviews like this and...yeah, i think ill stick to doing stuff the old fashioned way, even if i do have to wait forever :s
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I WILL BE IN THE WOODS FROM AUGUST TO NOVEMBER... GOOD-BYE COMPUTER!!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Newborns Part 6/11
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Newborns Part 4/11
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Preemies Part 11/11
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Preemies Part 10/11
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Preemies Part 1/11
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...