A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,110
Currently Running With Scissors:
790 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pinwheel Baby Blanket  (Read 6215 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AWynkoop
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2006 01:14:46 PM »

Thanks everyone!
Did you start in the middle- ala Elizabeth Zimmerman?

I did start in the middle..Here is the pattern I used...http://www.knitlist.com/00gift/round-baby-blanket.htm and I am going to check out Elizabeth Zimmerman right now!

I really like these for car seats, strollers and carriers because there are no corners to drag the ground...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would like to swap my knits (or amigurumi stuffies) for your handmade journal...pm me!

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.~Winston Churchill
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2006 02:49:24 PM »

I love the pinwheel design!  how long did it take you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Laural
I like exclamation points!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2006 10:11:05 PM »

It's adorable! What size needles did you use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let's put the FUN back in dysfunctional!!

Wists: http://wists.com/PrincessLaural
AWynkoop
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2006 09:25:56 AM »

thanks ya'll...
It took about three weeks to knit the whole thing...two of those weeks were spent on the border.
I knit on size US 8 dpn's and switched to a US 8 circular needle when the dpn's were too crowded. The leafy border was knit on size US 5 straight needles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would like to swap my knits (or amigurumi stuffies) for your handmade journal...pm me!

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.~Winston Churchill
kittykitty
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2006 07:01:32 PM »

Wow!! I love it! I was seriously considering making this, but am making a leaf lace baby blanket instead...although now I'm worried about little fingers getting stuck in little holes...but LACE IS SO PRETTY I can't help myself. The kid'll just have to be careful...and maybe I'll back it with some nice soft fabric or something.
But anyway, back to your pinwheel. Did I mention I love it? I especially love the two-tone pattern. Great job!  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tracerrose
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2006 05:08:51 PM »

I have one of these blankets started in Baby Soft Twinkle also.  I am just doing the center in one color and will add color to the border when I am done.  I wish that I would have used a larger size needle now (am using US 6).  This will be my first completed knit project if I can manage to get it done.  Unfortunately most of my projects get frogged since I have a toddler and a baby in the house (dropped stitches when I have to drop everything for one or both of them).  Now after seeing this, I am really excited to finish my blanket.  I have really grown fond of round blankets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AprilMay
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2006 04:53:22 PM »

I have one of these in the works and I was just curious what kinds of edging people used? I heard it rolls horribly without one so I am trying to get some ideas.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitbit
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2006 07:05:04 PM »

I have one of these in the works and I was just curious what kinds of edging people used? I heard it rolls horribly without one so I am trying to get some ideas.  Thanks!

I just did 4 or 5 rows in garter stitch.  It holds it down nicly but if were to make another one i'd make a seed stitch border. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pics
Blog

"All art is subversive." -Pablo Picasso
m0rbidm00n
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2006 11:36:58 PM »

I cast on for this last night, and after frogging it twice, I got it right and about 1/3" of the diameter finished (I'm shooting for 36" inches, but that may change). I screwed up on the beginning though (which it looks like was pretty common, from the KAL I looked through) and so I only have seven y/o lines (the "pinwheel" part?), while the pattern calls for 10. I looked at probably 15 different FO pictures though and saw ranging from 7-10 y/o lines for most people, so I don't feel bad about this. Beside, this is the first time I've ventured into y/o's.

I have a question though, I switched from DPNs to my smaller circ (26" I think? I dunno..) and plan on switching to my 32" circ in a few more rows, but by the end, what was everyone using as far as cable length? I just want to figure this out and see if I have to special order a 40" circ or not, my LYS doesn't carry anything bigger than 32".
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NewLeodensian
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2006 01:07:05 AM »

I have a question though, I switched from DPNs to my smaller circ (26" I think? I dunno..) and plan on switching to my 32" circ in a few more rows, but by the end, what was everyone using as far as cable length? I just want to figure this out and see if I have to special order a 40" circ or not, my LYS doesn't carry anything bigger than 32".

Hi,

I haven't made this blanket, but you can use more than one circular to make a bigger circumference instead of buying a bigger needle (sort of like big dpn).  You can knit x amount of stitches onto one circ and then knit the rest onto the other, forming a bigger circle.  While knitting, you knit with the one tip of each circ while the other one rests or you can use a third circ to knit across (again like with DPNs).  You might want to put stoppers on the ends that you are not knitting with if you are using more than two needles.  The circular needles do not have to be the same length as each other, so you could use the 26" and the 32" together with a third needle if you have one of that size. 

There is a better description in the "Streaming Leaves Shawl" by Cat Bordhi (Interweave Knits, Summer 2004, page 88-9) if you have a copy of it.

I hope this makes sense!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I now have a very short wist: http://www.wists.com/NewLeodensian/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Up-Close: Chanel Couture 2013 Collection
Three Adorable Summer Looks From Style Council Carly!
Meet 2013 Style Council Member Tonya
Meet 2013 Style Council Member Olivia
Meet 2013 Style Council Member Daniela
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...