A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 304,869
Currently Running With Scissors:
556 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: Machine Applique! Embellish your purse or tote! img heavy  (Read 27165 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , machine_embroidery , applique  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

seaofstars
sew serious

mmmmm... fabric!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 24, 2006 07:17:24 PM »

Since I do a lot of machine appliques on my totes and bags, and I've recieved several questions about them, I've decided to make a tutorial for them. The applique in this tutorial is for a custom messenger bag, so you can see from start to finish what a difference they can make.

Appliques can range from super simple to quite complex. Here are a couple of examples.

simple ying-yang... two piece applique

complex applique - 8 pieces

Please Note: I was self - taught.. so I'm sure there is a different way to do them, this is just how I manage.  Smiley

Gather your goodies:
* something to applique (I recommend something PRE sewn, it can be difficult to add to an already constructed item)
* Wonder-Under!
* Scissors
* Appropriate thread (lots of it!)
* Pen, Marker or Pencil
* Iron
* Thin cardboard or sturdy paper
* Sewing Machine
* Applique foot (you can do this w/out one, but its MUCH easier if you have it!)

Okay. Ready? Great!  Grin

First, you will need to make your applique pattern. I suggest something simple if this is your first one. You can use hand-drawn images, purchased templates, or even clip art printed from your computer. I chose to draw mine out on cardboard.

Once you have your pattern drawn, cut it out and then trace it onto the front of the fabric you wish to use.
Cut around your pattern in a square shape, so your applique design will be inside of the square. This will make it easier to cut out your Wonder-Under and you won't need to cut out your design more than twice.

Follow the instructions on your Wonder-Under and iron the fabric to the shiny side. Once you have it well ironed, you can then cut out your design.

Then chose where you'd like to place it on your item to be embellished, peel off the back of the wonder under and iron it on!

I suggest using the same thread for the top-stitch and for your bobbin when you applique. Reason being.. if your machine's tension is off, you're not going to see a different color thread peeking out of the top.
You are going to set your machine to a zig-zag stitch, with a width about 3, and of with a stitch length of just above zero.
*You may need to play with it a bit by using a test piece of fabric.  Once you've set your machine, take a scrap and give it a go. If it doesn't seem to move at all, increase the stitch length, if there is too much space between the stitches, decrease. You want a nice fluid over-laying zig-zag stitch that looks like a straight line.

Once you have the right settings, you're almost ready to go!

Next, attach your applique foot. I've seen several variations of these, so check your manual. Mine is clear and has a small arrow on the front. I prefer the clear ones so I can see where I'm going, especially along curvy lines.

Now, the idea is to have your applique centered between your "zigs and zags".. half of the stitch on the applique, half on the fabric. The arrow on my app. foot marks the center for me, so I use that as a guideline. Make sure you have a good 3 inches or so of pulled thread from your needle and bobbin before you begin.

Pick your starting point, line your app. up, drop your needle into the fabric and begin! Slow and Steady does it!

If you are doing mulitiple pieces, make sure you do them in a well thought out order!! Try to make it as easy as possible for yourself by planning them out!

If you need to go around curves, you can use your hands to control the feed and to stear the fabric. Sometimes it is necessary to stop stitching, drop your needle into the fabric, lift your app. foot and re-position your design.
* If you need to curve left - make sure your needle is in the RIGHT side of the zig-zag!
* If you need to curve right - drop it on the LEFT side.
This will insure a clean fluid curve with no fabric showing in between your stitches.

Continue working your way around:

When you come to a point, or corner, simple stitch to the end, drop your needle, pick up your foot and turn your fabric in the direction you need to go and re-stitch over the end of the stitches.

Keep going!

Once you get to your starting point, go over it for a cm or so and stop. Don't cut your threads too short! Turn over your work and using the bottom threads, pull the tops ones through and securely tie them off. THIS IS A MUST!! You don't want all of your hard work to un-ravel!
it looks neat on the back too!

Flip her over and check her out! If there are any mistakes, its quite easy to go back and fix them.

I added leaves to my tree using just wonder-under.

and the whole bag:

*whew!* it can be a lot of work, but WELL worth the effort.. don't ya think?

A few tips:
* The more you play, the better you applique. You will get better with practice, and the tips and tricks will come to you through experience.
* Once you have the simple designs done, try for something more difficult. You should see the piece thats on my to-do list... 34 pieces!!  Shocked
*I used about 110 yards of thread for the tree applique, so be prepared with your materials and make sure you have enough of one color.
* There are tons of specialty threads out there that work great for appliques, like the mulit-colored thread in the ying-yang design above. Feel free to play and experiment.

Okay.. if I left anything out, I'm sure I'll catch it, but if anything is too confusing just let me know. This is my first big tut!

***I've removed the broken pictures. If I ever have the time to do this again, I'll make sure to update. In the meantime, If you have any questions, feel free to pm me anytime. ***

Show me what you can do!
   Grin
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008 02:01:07 PM by seaofstars » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy Shop
http://sewserious.etsy.com

Blog
Blog Giveaway happening right now! Ends Monday, March 7th. Stop by for details on how to win a free zipper pouch!
http://sewserious.blogspot.com
CrazeeMoi
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006 07:48:26 PM »

WOW    Thank YOU soooooooooo  much for the tute!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
seaofstars
sew serious

mmmmm... fabric!

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006 07:49:58 PM »

you're welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy Shop

Blog
Blog Giveaway happening right now! Ends Monday, March 7th. Stop by for details on how to win a free zipper pouch!
GreatBallofFire
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006 07:58:52 PM »

Wow! My friend does that on towels, and for some reason, my machine want's nothing to do with it. I'm gonna have to try it on her machine though. How cool is that?!
How does it wash? I was thinking it would be cool to use on my quilting, but it needs to wear well.
Thanks for the amazing tut. the pictures are great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the Knitting Journal
www.sticksnloans.blogger.com
lisiepeasie

greetings. fish i am.

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006 08:00:16 PM »

Nice applique!! V. professional looking!

I never realized that you needed an applique foot.  Undecided I've been using the noraml foot and it sucks when I can't see where I'm going..  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Steal all the chandeliers down your street and call it romance.
seaofstars
sew serious

mmmmm... fabric!

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006 08:07:12 PM »

GreatBallofFire- I never have any problems with washing. As long as your applique is done properly, the fabric is correctly stitched over and your ends tied off.. they should last just fine!

Lisiepeasie - I learned without an applique foot and could never get my sharp curves to look decent, but now, much better!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy Shop

Blog
craftykate
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006 08:10:34 PM »

seaofstars is my hero. oh how I wish my sewing machine was in proper working order.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftykate.etsy.com

Yep, it's a knit blog
http://craftykate-knits.blogspot.com/

wanna trade? I heart personal swaps.
LetterGhost
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006 08:13:39 PM »

(bookmarking this for future use.)

Thanks for taking the time to do this, SeaofStars, it looks very thorough!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ITZA
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006 08:17:36 PM »

THANK YOU does not even begin to express my gratitude for posting this.

You have No Idea how timely this is.

Thank you and Thank you Again & Again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
seaofstars
sew serious

mmmmm... fabric!

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006 08:31:31 PM »

You're all very welcome! I LOVE appliques! so I just had to share!

and yay! i'm someones hero! hehe  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy Shop

Blog
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Pysanky
Pysanky Art Tools
The Art of Pysanky
How to Sell Your Soap at Craft Shows
How to Make Money from Soap Making
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...