A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,633
Currently Running With Scissors:
529 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My attempt at a Sha Sha Dream Bag + bag handle question  (Read 1108 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ebtblue
« on: January 24, 2006 05:39:58 PM »

My friend’s birthday is coming up so i decided to make her a bag since she's liked the other ones that I have made.  I wanted to try a different design so gave the Sha Sha Dream Bag a try.  I really like the way the bag turned out except for the handles.  They just don't seem to match the rest of the bag but i didn't really notice that until after I had sewed them on so i suppose they will have to stay.

I've only ever attempted one way of making handles: basically by taking a strip of fabric folding it and sewing both sides.  What other methods of creating/attaching handles do people like to use?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Prunk21

Tom Welling is my Hero!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006 06:04:59 PM »

I love it! thats so awesome!

How to attach a handle, HA! i have no idea, well i have done it, but i would not know how to tell you online, sorry, Ask one of these experts here on the site lol

How to make a handle, i take a strip(however big you want it) and then i fold it good sides together and sew the bottom of one part of it and then keep sewing up the long side and then stop.  So you leave one end open, and then turn it inside out.

IF that makes any sense, thats how i make handles  Grin 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ITZA
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006 08:13:16 PM »

Well,  it appears to me that the handles are 'overwhelming' the bag.  They appear to be too wide.  I know it is hard to tell from a computer monitor and a quick picture, but I'm not sure the handle color is correct for this purse.  Perhaps using one handle instead of the double handle would change your feeling about it.

In the pics, I would have to say the colors don't quite work out.  In this case, I think I would recommend using same fabric as the purse.

I'll come back after while and post the way I do handles.  I'm sure there are a dozen ways to do it, but I'll gladly share my method with you.  Gotta' run right now but I promise I will come back.

Hope I have not hurt your feelings by anything I have said here.  That is NOT my intention.  I am a crafter too and I know we walk a fine line between being supportive and construction criticism.  It takes a braver person than me to put projects out here for others to see !  I am a chicken and I know it.  I have the utmost respect for you.

Deb
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SevsOnlyGirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006 08:56:36 AM »

I made my handles out of the same fabric as the lining of the bag.  I did them the same way Prunk21 does too:  figure out how wide you want the handles (I decided about 1-1 1/2") and how long.  I cut the material wider than wanted and the length watned, put the right sides together and sew the length.  I also sew one end shut, then use a bamboo skewer to turn them right-side-in.  I then iron them so that the seam is flat and attach.  Does that make sense?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
spiderlady
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006 10:46:55 AM »

What a nice purse.  I like the straps--she'll never lose that purse! I know it's kind of a contrast, but why does everything have to be color-coordinated?  Just a thought.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am an apologist for the spiders.

Just treat me no differently than you would the Tarantula Queen.
ebtblue
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006 12:16:50 PM »

Thankz for all the comments.  The computer gives the bag a purpleish tint so the handels aren't as off color as they appear but I decided that i really didn't like them so i took them out.  Now i just need to decide what i want to do for the new handels.  I'm not sure if i want to use the lining fabric for the handles since it seems a little bussy.  I'll have to see.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ebtblue
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006 05:59:22 PM »

I switched out the handels and am much happier with the bag
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006 07:23:20 PM by ebtblue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
groschveux
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006 06:24:03 PM »

Cheesy I like the changes you made to your purse.

Pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Thai Chicken With Rice Noodles
How to Cook Chinese Noodles With Steak
How to Make a Japanese Style Marinade
How to Make Sichuan Mapo Tofu
How to Make Chinese Scallion Pancakes
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...