A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,199
Currently Running With Scissors:
719 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Veg(etari)an Marshmallows - particularly Agar-Agar  (Read 24144 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lil_abi
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2008 10:35:33 AM »

Yes you can!  My mother has been making Rice Krispies Treats for years with Marshmallow Fluff!  They're delicious and have no gelatin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
gardenpicnic
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2008 09:07:55 AM »

Oh, my! That looks incredible!  Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

twilightfrog
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2008 01:04:29 PM »

someone asked this a whiiiiile back, i'm sure i'm too late but maybe this will help someone else, for marshmallows and otherwise!

1 part agar powder = 6 parts agar flakes 

also, on a slightly different yet still agar subject, i use 1 tablespoon powder to 3 cups of liquid to make "jello".  heat the liquid, add the powder, cook it until it thickens [which won't be very much, it'll just be slightly less liquidy if that makes sense...the real jelling action happens as it cools] then pour it into a pan/mold/whatever, you can throw some fruit in there too.  it'll gel at room temp. or in the fridge. 

Do you just use fruit juice as the liquid to get flavor and sugar, or do you ever try other things? Any thoughts on how to get an authentic fake flavored jello without the premeasured mix?

have you tried koolaid as the liquid? That would probably give that similar fake jello flavor....just an idea.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008 01:07:00 PM by twilightfrog » THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are human only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

"I want freedom, the right to self-expression, everybody's right to beautiful, radiant things."
-Emma Goldman.
VALiant
YarnStormer

(formerly VeganPickles)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2008 04:53:59 PM »

Ok guys...  Ko-Jel is definitely NOT vegan. It was found several years ago that they used fish to get the gelling.  Cry

There are several articles floating around if you need one.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to teach the world to knit!
lil_abi
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2008 07:49:56 PM »

What about Kozy Shack brand "Jell Treat"? 

Their website says they have no animal by-products, and they use carageenan to "gel" it.  Has anyone experimented with carageenan?

http://www.kozyshack.com/foodservice/productdetail.html?id=18
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008 03:38:05 PM by lil_abi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
twilightfrog
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2008 06:38:23 PM »

so I have been trying to make the agar "jello" since the first time I read that response to this post about it....

and I can't do it.

It always either doesn't harden completely and is just a liquid with gel like clumps floating in it

-or-

it gets really really hardish and it has a weird art-gum eraser texture.

I have been using the directions on the bottle of the powdered agar:
2 tbsp powder for every pint of liquid

any ideas of what I'm doing wrong? Am I supposed to boil the juice or just heat it? Does it matter what type of juice I use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are human only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

"I want freedom, the right to self-expression, everybody's right to beautiful, radiant things."
-Emma Goldman.
VALiant
YarnStormer

(formerly VeganPickles)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2008 11:48:03 AM »

I really don't know... I have agar agar (in flake form), and have not yet been able to make anything edible.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to teach the world to knit!
bunsenhoneydew13
copacetic

superherogirl.

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2008 09:53:49 AM »

I don't know how much this will help, but it's an observation:

When I used to work in research labs in college and we had to pour agar plates, we made a solution containing a relatively large ratio of agar (powder or flake) to liquid.  Then we boiled the crap out of it, stirring all the time, and when all of the lumps were gone, we let it cool a bit and poured it into the petri dishes.  Obviously I never ate this, but what I'm trying to say is that it got almost to that "art gum" texture that twilightfrog mentioned.  (And different labs use different recipes for this, but I'm speaking in general.) 

So, as far as agar in food goes:
     ...maybe try using less agar in your recipe to get less of the gelling effect?  Or maybe try not boiling the liquid, if that's what you're doing, and maybe it won't gel as much?  And if it gets lumpy, it probably needs to be heated differently.  In the lab, we had a giant water bath that we placed flasks of agar-solution in. That way, the whole solution was basically surrounded by the boiling water and that heated it very evenly.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
serendipity3_82
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2008 05:26:00 PM »

OK, I found this link on some vegan blog.
http://www.angelfood.co.nz/confectionery.htm

This company is based in NZ, but you can buy a vegan marshmallow kit and make your own at home!  She sells pre-made vegan marshmallows too.

This is what Angel Food lists as the ingredients:
Organic sugar, water, invert syrup, gelling agent (agar), modified starch, organic tapioca starch, emulsifiers (472b, 477), organic vanilla extract, sea salt.

I'm sort of interested to see if I can hack the vegan marshmallow recipe, so I did a quick search on those ingredients that I didn't recognize.

Invert syrup:  Here's the wiki article on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverted_sugar_syrup  I'm thinking why it's used is because it helps keep the marshmallows moist and doesn't crystalize.

I know some vegan marshmallows you dust them with starch after you cut them (so they don't stick), but I know that it's also used as a thickener (like in pies/puddings/sauces).

A quick search about those numbered emulsifiers, I came up with this:

472b is an ester of lactic acid (which probably comes from sugar beets, if this is truly vegan) and 477 is Propane-1, 2-diol esters of fatty acids, propylene glycol esters of fatty acids (I don't know anything about this)

It's not in this ingredient list, but I've also seen bean gums and stuff like that too in other marshmallows.

Anyway, it seems that all these homemade marshmallows are failing is because they don't have extra stabilizers/emulsifiers like commercial vegan marshmallows. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Creating a Laminated Pressed Flower Bookmark
Creating a Pressed Flower Frame-Under Photo
Creating a Pressed Flower Frame-Over Photo
Preparing Flowers for the Press
Drying Pressed Flowers
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...