A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
546 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Moving to Acton....any hope of finding craftsters?  (Read 1613 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bhean
Fairly goth mother

believing is seeing

View Profile WWW
« on: January 24, 2006 12:16:19 PM »

I've bought a big ole house in Acton and am really excited about finally having some space to set up a studio, but I"m really worried about find ing anyone to relate to out there...or even interesting happening in or around town.  I've tried to locate a stitch n bitch with no luck andeven am willing to hang with the local quilting bee biddies if neccesary.  Please save me from small town art starvation!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wistiness.... www.wists.com/bhean
Sarahs_Crafts

Llama, llama, llama, duck.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006 12:18:15 PM »

I am sure you will at least find quilters and knitters...maybe in a older age group though.

I am not from there. But I am from a small town and it seems like crafting is a pretty common event in small towns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bhean
Fairly goth mother

believing is seeing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006 12:25:20 PM »

That's what I'm hoping, but I don't want to ostrcize myself if I start knitting boobs, or making everything black with bats (if you know what I mean)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laura_borealis
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006 07:15:45 PM »

hey there
i do not live in acton, but my mom does! she is not a crafty type.
i have spent some time there, though, and i can tell you that the yarn store on mill street 'headwater wool' (i think) is really great and teh woman who runs it is really nice and raises alpacas somewhere nearby. i am actually spending this weekend in acton! my mom lives in the icky monster homes by the golf course.

not craft realted, but you should definitely try 'a taste of italy' also on mill street. the food is very good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bhean
Fairly goth mother

believing is seeing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006 09:07:39 PM »

Oh cool!  I was really hoping that I could find somewhere to source out supplies and maybe they have a stitch n bitch (or I might just have to start one).  We got the keys today and drove the Taste of Italy...looks interesting, as does the pub "Tanners" across the street from the Hide House.  Wish me luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StripeySocks

I will always be a weird, creepy mushroom girl.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006 06:24:21 AM »

I live in Acton and work at the Hide House, there's not a whole lot in the way of craft groups as far as i know (but im only 17, so hey I may not be in the loop).  The Needle Gnome downtown is a cute shop,but I don't knit so I haven't been in Headwater Wool. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One is never as unhappy as one thinks, nor as happy as one hopes"
atomic mary
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006 03:10:06 PM »

i find that sometimes you can find very odd and crafty people in small towns. i live in guelph, have been here for three years. i have lived in the 3 largest cities in canada, and kind of felt like it would be another world moving to a smaller town. what you do for family eh? Smiley i love guelph! and acton is not that far away. guelph has art on the street in the spring(for local artists) and a really great art store downtown, as well as a len's mill. i don't make it to acton very often but the hide house kicks ass. just do what you do and try and get used to the quiet. you'll eventually find your niche. and love your house!
good luck
atomic mary
THIS ROCKS   Logged
housewife
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006 08:15:09 PM »

I'm not sure were Acton is but I saw Guelph and (my fav) Len's Mill.  How does the Guelph Len's compair to the Cambridge Len's???  It is my fav store now but I really have to be carefull in there and stay focused or else I spend lots of time and money!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bo-Baily
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006 07:52:54 AM »

all I know is that It's Worth the Drive to Acton.. maybe a bunch of craftsters will come to you  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hayley by Design on Etsy and Flickr
atomic mary
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006 10:18:55 AM »

I'm not sure were Acton is but I saw Guelph and (my fav) Len's Mill.  How does the Guelph Len's compair to the Cambridge Len's???  It is my fav store now but I really have to be carefull in there and stay focused or else I spend lots of time and money!!
find all of the len's different but the same, if you know what i mean. the good thing about the guelph one is that the fabric is on the main floor and you can sometimes see the sun. the bad thing about the guelph store is that in the summer it is HOT! they don't have air conditioning and i know my kids hate going in there with me even more than usual in the summer. i haven't ever had too much time to explore the cambridge one but i think it's a little neater too.the guelph one i mean. lots of fabric, lots of yarn, foam, scrapbooking stuff well, you get the idea. i have to try and stay focused too. evil, evil len's Smiley!
is raine's still open next to the one in cambridge? i would occasionally get some of my bra-making supplies there. and i know they had some other stuff i was interested in when i have time and money.
ugh, there just isn't enough time or money in the world! (at least on my clock or in my bank account  Smiley
atomic mary)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
And I Love Her - Easy Rhythm Guitar Lesson
How to Play House of the Rising Sun on an Acoustic Guitar
Learn About "The Kiss" by Gustav Klimt
Learn About "Stronger" by Takashi Murakami
The Phoenix and Immortal Symbols in Chinese Antique Furniture
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...