A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 306,433
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: payment for custom work  (Read 1254 times)
Tags for this thread: custom_order  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sweetjaime
« on: January 24, 2006 10:58:29 AM »

I do custom jewelry peices and im wondering what you all do payment wise ? Do you charge more for custom work ? Do you insist on prepayment? OR maybe a deposit to make sure that the person isnt gonna make you do all the work and then change thier mind ?
Any advice ?
thanks
Jaime
THIS ROCKS   Logged

babygoinplaces

Baby, I'm goin' places!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006 04:45:22 PM »

I don't do custom jewelry, but I do custom clothing.

I have asked for a deposit, usually half the price, upfront.  That covers the cost of any materials I need to buy.  They pay the other 1/2 when they get the item.

So far I have not had anyone disappointed at all, but it might be a good idea to specify what would happen if the finished product is not what they had in mind.  Do they get a full refund of the deposit?  Do you give them a credit towards another item in the amount of the deposit made?  Do they eat it?  Do you eat it?

Never hurts to think ahead about these things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://babygoinplaces.com
Baby Goin' Places--for the baby on the go!  Slings, pocketchangers, custom clothing, and now custom monogramming and embroidery!
http://babygoinplaces.etsy.com
starlene

Feed you purse addiction 24/7!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006 06:15:50 AM »

When I do clothing/homedec in person I will ask for 50% upfront and the balance is due upon pickup.  For my Etsy shop bag order I ask for the payment upfront before anything is made.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006 06:53:20 AM »

I do custom graphic design. I want all the money up front, and though I've never had to refund any money, I would take half - the work is already done.

Definitely charge more for custom work. I would give a break if it was a product I could put into my line, but if it's not in my normal production schedule, it's something I'd have to put extra effort into, and that's deserving of more moola.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

giggleycraft
I'm normal.... it's the rest of the world that's insane.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006 08:03:08 AM »

I do a lot of custom jewelry orders.  Most of the time it's stuff like I want that necklace in blue, or I can't wear hook earrings, can you put the same thing on post backs.  If you have to buy supplies to make it I see nothing wrong with asking for 50% down.  Perhaps come up with a minimum portion that is non refundable for your time.  I've only ever had one problem with a custom order.  She wanted 4 charm bracelets, like the $9 ones I make and are on my website; but the had to be on sterling silver.  I told her before purchasing the supplies that it would cost quite a bit more, she was OK with that.  I priced the supplies, and told her I couldn't find sterling, just sterling plate chain.  If she wanted sterling I could order it in, but it would take longer.  She was fine with the sterling plate.  All findings were sterling, and the charms were sterling plate.  I told her before I purchased the supplies the bracelets would be $18 each(I gave her a price break for ordering in bulk.)  Again, she thought that was great.  I made them, emailed a picute to her, and gave her the total.  She loved the bracelets, but then said "Don't you think that's a little pricey?"  I informed her that the chain cost twice the price of the other chain, and the clasp cost 4X the cost of the other clasp, the findings all cost more, so $18 a piece was a deal, and that is what she had agreed to before I bought the supplies.  She seemed to understand and still wanted to buy the bracelets.  I sent her paypal invoice, she told me she had to wait until payday.   Payday came, and I didn't hear from her.  I sent a few more emails with no reply.  It would have been nice to have a deposit in that case.  I will in the future take deposits for orders that large anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

babygoinplaces

Baby, I'm goin' places!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006 04:43:58 AM »

I was wondering how many of you handle payment for custom orders.  I suppose there are 3 ways for customers to pay:
1) pay 100% upfront
2) pay a percentage down, then the balance upon completion
3) pay 100% at the completion of the item

I usually charge 100% upfront unless I know the person.  I've done 50/50 and that's been fine, too. That way I have the money to purchase the materials.  I recently placed a custom order and she dind't bill me until it was completed.  It was under $20, but it was completely personalized and she would not have been able to resell it if I balked on her.

So what do you gals and guys do?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Baby Goin' Places--for the baby on the go!  Slings, pocketchangers, custom clothing, and now custom monogramming and embroidery!
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006 08:41:51 AM »

If it's someone I know, I'll send the bill after the work is completed. Unknown: money up front, and no work done 'til it's paid.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tinafish
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006 03:39:54 PM »

Most if not all of my work is custom. Someone will usually contact me asking for a certain style purse/color...etc and I will price the item. Then I start by making the item the person has order. I take pictures of the finished product and send it to the person ordering and then they send payment and as soon as I receive payment I send the item out. I have never had a problem with this....luckily. The way I see it is that if the person doesn't like the outcome of the product I will eventually sell it to someone else as a part of my line of work anyway.  Smiley Most people will never give you trouble, I dont think. if they are going out of their way for custom work and have seen your past work then they should know what to expect.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006 04:14:58 PM by tinafish » THIS ROCKS   Logged

babygoinplaces

Baby, I'm goin' places!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006 04:10:51 PM »

I think you have a good point there, Tinafish.  If I could resell something, I'm not too worried about getting 100% upfront.

However, with custom embroidery like I do, getting at least 1/2 upfront can be important.  There aren't too many babies named Simon or Delainey, for example, and when I'm doing business logos on fabrics they choose, they gotta pay for it all upfront.

I like hearing how other people handle this.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

tinafish
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006 04:16:55 PM »

that's true. i didnt think about custom names and such. in that case i would definitely charge upfront. or atleast 50% like you do already. Sometimes people like charging up front too so they can use that money to purchase materials, but I never have a problem with that. I wish I could somehow get ahead of all my orders and make more than what i sell...(although most people have the opposite problem so i should be feel lucky) so that way people could just pick out pieces they like and I can make things the way i want instead of the way i think someone else wants a purse. make any sense? haha. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How much should I budget for a digital camera?
What is an SLR camera?
How many megapixels should my digital camera have?
What are some things I should look for when choosing a digital camera?
Will a digital camera make picture taking easier?
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Your Own Patron Saint
Folding in the New Year!
Tute Tuesday: Joan Jett Inspired Black Heart Soap

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...