A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,761
Currently Running With Scissors:
511 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: any rain barrel advice?  (Read 1347 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

heart_bats

my favorite sport? knitting!

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2006 10:50:07 AM »

This spring I would like to make a rain barrel to reuse roof runoff and cut down on water use.  Has anyone done this?  This website looks pretty good, but it would be great to get some Craftster input.

http://www.marc.org/water/build.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Inna
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006 11:08:29 AM »

that website sounds about right - we didn't screen ours and had tonnes of mosquitoes - so we put goldfish in - worked like a dream until the cat got the goldfish
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Drama llama ding dong
BluegrassBeagles
Swamp Witch

Rrruff! Rruff! <Bark!> Rruff!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006 11:16:17 AM »

I had a very primative rain barrel a couple of years ago. The landlord wouldn't fix a corner where the cutter was broken and rain would pour into my garden, disrupting all my new plantings. Argh! I put a large trash can under the downpour and, voila!, free water for the garden! I'd just dip my watering can down into the barrel to retrieve. However, I'd recommend doing what the website says for a spigot. I also second Inna's suggestion to have a mosquito control method. There are natural mosquito killers for water features available at gardening centers, or you can check out gardeners.com.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've discovered the wonderful world of blogs:
http://swampwitch.wordpress.com/

REduce
REuse
REcycle
REJOICE!
Ayn
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006 12:56:01 PM »

Depending on where you live... If it's a fairly-rainy climate... you might consider skipping the upper faucet & connecting two containers at the upper end by means of a short length of ordinary hosing.

One place we lived, hub set up a 2-container arrangement like that at almost every drainpipe...
Except, the containers were those purchased freestanding barrels...
And, in two different places where the drainpipes emptied directly onto an entryway sidewalk (?!? ok is that insanely-stupid design or what??), hub re-configured the drainpipes into sort of an arch that went over-above the sidewalks then down into the rainbarrels.  Made those areas quite pretty with small/lightweight vines growing up the barrels & on/around the drainpipe arches.

I think those rainbarrels came with solid tops but hub left the barrels open & covered them tightly with some sort of very fine mesh screening.  Just-in-case, he also used those mosquito tablets in the water; iirc, they're actually intended for outdoor fish ponds & are supposed to be fishsafe/ birdsafe.
However, if young kids frequent your yard, again just-in-case, you might actually want a solid cover on your rain containers.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006 12:59:03 PM by Ayn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
d
princesshammerhead

Treat people how you like to be treated!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006 07:28:27 PM »

To keep mosquito's from laying eggs in your rainbarrel, add a few drops of canolla oil. It forms a slick layer on top of the water and the eggs may hatch, but they can't breath and die. We do this with our dugouts, here in the backwoods, and it works great! Also, when you water your plants, it keeps them nice and shiny and repels dust and other wind blown build up(I live on the bald prarie, it's windy) good luck, d Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If only closed minds came with closed mouths!

If the world is getting smaller, why do postage rates keep going up?

http://princesshammerhead.blogspot.com/

Personal swap anyone?
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006 08:01:17 PM »

if  you are looking for fancy  try what eh web site said  if inexpensive is teh way   to go for you.....   try  getting some 5- 10 gallon buckets. depending on the size of your yard.  ( I use old laundry soap buckets or from local donut shop the buckets they get there icing in)  set  several in different  places in teh yard.  misquito repelent a  must.  U we pour the water in  one of the  lawn and garden pump spray thingys ( used for weed killer or bug spray normally)  and  easily spray teh garden  by the time it empties I am to teh next bucket to use to fill it back up.  BUT  USE  CAUTION  FOR  CHILDREN!!!!  these buckets are very tempting to little ones!  my 48 year old hubby has a hard time staying out of them  LOL. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
onthinice
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006 11:16:13 AM »

heart_bats did you make your rain barrel?  I went to a workshop this weekend and made one very similar to the barrel on the website you listed.  We used a 1 1/4" nylon hose barb and a 1 1/4" drainage hose (like from your clothes washer into the drain or for a sump pump) for the top overflow hose instead of a faucet and garden hose.  The instructor recommended the drainage hose because it is larger than a garden hose, so it drains out the overflow faster.  I think it also costs less and is easier to use when you want to connect a couple rainbarrels together.

On mosquitos, I have heard that the larvae need 10 days to mature.  If you use the water in the barrel every 8-9 days or so, that should break the mosquito's life cycle.

Are you local to the website you listed (Kansas City)?  If you are, maybe we can have a rainbarrel making party sometime.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
Into fictional letter writing? PM me. We need more characters. What am I talking about? Read about it at Dante's Wardrobe.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Using the Ken Burns Effect with Final Cut Pro
Making a Photoshop Music Video
Creating a Dodecahedron with the Cupcake CNC Makerbot
Salt and Pepper Shakers Design on the MakerBot 3D Printer
How to Scale 3D Objects in Blender
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...