A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
387 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: hesitant about this quilt pattern  (Read 1142 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tinaeatyourham
« on: January 24, 2006 04:55:31 AM »

I'm new to quilting having just learned the basics in my fiber arts class and i have been looking for an easy pattern that was also not very traditional.  I was just wondering if anyone has tried this pattern and if they have any advice before i get started:  http://www.quilting-arts-forum.com/bom8_8.html     This pattern looks like fun, although i'm a little hesitant to do it as my first quilt--maybe i should mention that this quilt is going to be for my brother and his fiance as their wedding gift.  I'm looking for any suggestions.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mata
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006 05:02:10 AM »

It looks fun, but also a lot of work (lots of cutting and sewing, and remembering where all the pieces go). It looks fairly easy though.. perhaps you could make a couple in different colour schemes to see how they turn out. Good luck!!! :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BlondGirl
Queen of the Uncompleted Project

workworkPLAYworkworkworkworkwork

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006 11:37:22 AM »

Looks like fun!  Definately make a few squares out of scraps and see if you like what you see before committing in your mind.  If it does not suit you, I'd suggest a braid quilt.  If your pieces are not oerfect, it is very forgiving!  I can give more details if you wanna hear them.

~~Em~~
~~~~~~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here's my stuff:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=194777.0

Are you making a selvage quilt?  I have some to share. PM me.
tinaeatyourham
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006 12:32:55 PM »

Thanks so much for the advice! I'm going to try a couple of squares sometime before the weekend and see if i like it.  I'll try and post some pictures.  Also I have tried looking online to find a good size to make the quilt.  It will be for a queen size bed and i want enough room to put the pillows under the quilt and not use pillow cover things.  If you have a recommended size that would be great.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mata
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006 01:33:37 PM »

I have tried looking online to find a good size to make the quilt.  It will be for a queen size bed and i want enough room to put the pillows under the quilt and not use pillow cover things.  If you have a recommended size that would be great.  Thanks!

I am not very good with sizes.. but next time I make a quilt, I will keep it a little larger.. A few extra inches you can easily tuck in, but if the quilt a few inches "short" it looks.. small.. I made this mistake with my first quilt, a lap quilt which turned out too small to be used as a "lap quilt". Oops!! :-p
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006 06:33:39 PM »

Looks interesting - be sure to post a picture when you are finished as I would love to see one actually made.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fort_loop
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006 06:50:47 PM »

Hi.  I'm just learning to quilt too.  I was at the public library today and there were a number of good books on quilting with instructions for planning the right size, estimating fabric needs, etc.  This one in particular looks like it might help with those nitty gritty questions:

Better Homes and Gardens, "Great Quiltmaking:  All the Basics"

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yirq
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006 03:42:31 AM »

Good choice for hesitant newbie as there are no points to match up. Hope you post a pic
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lorky
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006 08:29:40 PM »

I've never done this but am planning to soon!  Its pretty easy, you can cut like 4 blocks at onceand just leave them in stacks and mix and match your center pieces.  It'll be rewarding! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2006 07:13:02 AM »

it looks like that pattern can be foundation pieced... which might be easier or harder depending.  More prep for the foundations but less fussy prep for the fabric.

hmm.. may have to play with that.

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...