A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 307,958
Currently Running With Scissors:
272 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: asking for a crocheter's opinion on CROCHENIT  (Read 1412 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aliastriona_angerboda
Pirate Queen, Insane Person, Complete Nerd

View Profile WWW
« on: January 24, 2006 12:16:14 AM »

I'm a knitter (don't shoot!).  I couldn't crochet to save my life - my brain understands the process but my hands refuse to cooperate.  The other day I ran across a reference to crochenit, figured I'd try it out, got a double-ended hook to play with and *tada*, apparently my hands get this.

My mom crochets, but had never heard of crochenit till I showed her what I was doing.....so I'm curious about how similar the processes are, does anyone out there do both, do you think it's a good introduction to crochet, have I ruined my brain process toward crochet for life, do you find my endless questioning highly obnoxious...... 

opinions, hints, tips, beratements....commentary is greatly appreciated, I just want it from someone who at least kinda-sorta knows what they're talking about.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

javastain
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006 07:30:31 PM »

I have been crocehting my whole life, literally I have been doing it since I was about 4... so my opinion might be slightly abnormal, but I say skip that weird thing (I have one myself, tried it once, it was weird to me Grin) go back to trying to get you hands in a comfortable place to hold you work, yarn and hook (really you don't need 3 hands to crochet). And of course this is nothing new but practice, practice, practice!!! Do a long chain, and then do a long row on top of singles then doubles, then try something else... the continuous working of the same stitch will get your hands in the right places and really help you see mistakes and such! I just feel like there are so many more options with the straight up crocheting~ Sorry I hope I am not a downer, but I just don't really like the double hook thingy!!! Maybe I'll pick it up and give it another try, maybe...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
EowynUlysses
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006 08:17:12 PM »

I don't know anything about crochenit but I would recommend a variegated yarn for a beginning crocheter. It makes it a great deal easier to see the stitches and such. But yeah, practice loads. Also, the way you hold the hook and yarn might make a difference. (See this post for nice pictures. http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=55600.0) Holding the hook like a knife works very well for me. It might help to watch your mom crochet. That is how I learned at least, and few people seem to be able to learn from a book.
(Hmmm. That probably wasn't any help at all.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swaps are fun!

Fun websites to give for free: thehungersite.com, freerice.com, care2.com

Wanted: Sock yarn scraps for a shawl.
theartofmegan
Tutorial Contributor

One Crafty Wife Lady

Cr4ftN3rd. <3

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006 09:56:38 PM »

I like www.stitchguide.com because they have videos showing you specific stitches.  That's how I figured out I was slipping stitches wrong in crochet, and how I've learned to do the small amount of knitting that I can manage so far.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Art, Crafts, Fashion, Love.
http://www.theartofmegan.com

Visit my Etsy Stores!

The Art of Megan
Handmade, Vintage, and Recycled Craft Supplies at http://theartofmegan.etsy.com

HomeGrown Fashion
Unique, down-to-earth fashion, accessories, and home decor
http://homegrownfashion.etsy.com
aliastriona_angerboda
Pirate Queen, Insane Person, Complete Nerd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006 11:58:26 PM »

Smiley thanks for replying. 

hmmm, practice.  yep, you sound like my mom!

she's more than happy to teach me (she taught me my knitting basics), but watching her crochet in an effort to learn might lead to some interesting techniques on my part.  She's done it so naturally, for so long, her hands can do it all on their own, and they go fast.  Not surprising really, since her father taught himself how to crochet after he was blinded in an accident; he would take apart already crocheted pieces and learned in reverse by feel.....

but apparently that natural inclination has decided to skip a generation. *sigh*

thanks for the links and input though; always nice to get a response, even if they're concerned they might be depressing you.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

n u l l g a l
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006 04:06:52 AM »

Not surprising really, since her father taught himself how to crochet after he was blinded in an accident; he would take apart already crocheted pieces and learned in reverse by feel.....
That's probably one of the more amazing things I've ever heard.  Wow.  You've got some good genes, girl.  You can do it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fear not, for I am with you.
Is. 41:10
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006 03:28:39 PM »

My neice called a few weeks ago and needed help with a new crochet pattern she was trying (what are Aunties for?)  I got to her house and she handed me this two sided crochet hook which I'd never seen before - well, the short story is we got it figured out but I hope she sticks to the regular crochet hook.

You can learn if you practise - I have yet to meet someone who has tried and not eventually got it.

Regular crochet is so much fun, I should know as I've been doing it for 30+ years  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aliciasjoy

my alien kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006 11:41:37 PM »

Is crochenit the same as Tunisian crochet, or I think it's also called afghan stitch, where you pick up the stitches on the really long hook and then work them backwards (to the right)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GeekMagnet
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2006 04:10:53 PM »

I can tunisian crochet, which is about the same thing as crochetnit.  I say go for the crochenit if you can do it.  it will get your hands and brain used to the rythm of crochet and holding a hook.  it should be alot easier then to go to normal crochet it you so choose, because basically the difference between chrochetnit and crochet is that a row in crochetnit is worked in 2 steps, picking up all the loops then taking them off.  in crochet each stitch is worked in 2 steps, picking up loops and then taking them off.  so basically it is just a different order to do the steps.

Pretty much i learned backwards from you, i learned to crochet then tried to knit but it made my head hurt and all it did was try to poke myself with the needles.  So i looked for a crochet stitch that looks like knitting and found tunisian crochet, and that was sooo easy to learn.  Latter i attempted knitting again and picked it up like it was no problem.
So i think you are on the right track.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, what is baby oil made from?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Etched Glasses
Horror Movie Crafts
August 24, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...