A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,728
Currently Running With Scissors:
540 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: first ever completed knitting project!  (Read 2663 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

krampalicious

fire in the disco!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 02, 2003 10:19:34 AM »

hey all.  i learned to knit over the summer to help me quit smoking, and i just now finished my first ever project, a super-long scarf for my extremely tall amazon of a little sister's birthday.

i used four different variegated skeins of red heart worsted weight yarn on size eight needles.

this is me modeling my first ever masterpiece:

http://www.lomography.com/0001/fotos/828e24c79ac3c872/UL_822388_10697978533_l.jpg
http://www.lomography.com/0001/fotos/828e24c79ac3c872/UL_822388_10697978511_l.jpg
http://www.lomography.com/0001/fotos/828e24c79ac3c872/UL_822388_10697978522_l.jpg
http://www.lomography.com/0001/fotos/828e24c79ac3c872/UL_822388_10697978544_l.jpg

i'm currently working on some more scarves to give as christmas presents and possibly moving up to hats if i feel adventurous...

anyone know of any good projects for a beginner knitter to try after a few scarves, but that aren't quite big fat cable knit sweaters in twenty colors?

thanks!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011 02:17:25 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midtowner

Where did I put that needle/bead/yarn...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2003 11:14:51 AM »

That's a fun scarf!  Congrats on finishing your first project.

Is it knit in the round? Or is it a flat scarf?  

My suggestion for a next project would be a hat or purse.  A purse would let you work on putting edges together (or finishing).  Or, you could try something with stripes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Marnie

Curves aren't made of diet food.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2003 11:41:23 AM »

Very nice. It's cool how you combined different varrigated yarns together. I can never keep myself motivated enough to do long scarfs, I just get too bored and put it down, so I have to give you credit for sticking with it.

Hats are definitely a great second or third project and must faster to complete. The one thing you'll want to do is try the whole swatching dealie to make sure you don't make the hat too small or large.  

Try doing this:

Get some Lion Brand Homespun or some other yarn that won't itch on one's head and cast on enough stitches to make an item that is 7.5 inches long. This will be the height of your hat.
Knit a rectangle that is about 18 inches long. Bind off.
You now have a rectangle that is 7.5x18 inches. Sew up the two short ends so you have an 11" tall tube.
Center the new seam in back, flatten and sew the top edge so you now have an 9" wide by 7.5" tall piece with an opening on the bottom, a seam on top and a seam centered in back.
Attach pom-poms or tassles to the top two corners. When worn, the hat will look a little like a jester's hat.
I hope that makes sense Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marnie MacLean
http://marniemaclean.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tivasmom

Big!Meaty!Claws!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2003 12:34:41 PM »

I'm kinda addicted to knitting hats on circulars and DPNs (douple pointed needles). It's fast and learning how to do decreases is fun! I've only been knitting 3 weeks, so if I can do it, you can!

So, did it help you stop smoking ? Tongue

I actually started knitting 3 weeks ago because I was afraid I would start smoking if I didn't find something to do with my hands!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krampalicious

fire in the disco!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2003 07:29:06 PM »

i knit it flat... in the round is still kind of scary to me...

i've actually started working on some little headbands as gifts for my girlfriends for christmas, so when i get those done i will post some pics.  they are shaping up to be mighty cute.

i'm also planning on tackling a hat after i finish these.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WrdyGrrl

Actually, I'm a polymath.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2003 02:21:44 PM »

I started knitting socks because I wanted something small, fast and portable. I didn't realize that I shouldn't have tried something that hard as a first project - it's one of those things where if you don't know you're not supposed to do something it's not that hard.  Using DPNs at first is like wrestling with a porcupine but once you get the hang of them, it's addictive - especially if you're a fast knitter and a slow purler. I've taken to adapting hats to knit them in the round so I don't have to sew them!<br><br>Beginner projects for me were baby booties, balls (straight knitting, short rows),  dolls (straight knitting), and anything for babies - cardigans, hats, baby blankets. Small, portable and quick to finish. I have YET to make myself anything - no, I made the felted clogs - but again, small, quick and portable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shalola

In seach of the ultimate lipgloss

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2003 02:44:48 PM »

Nice job on the scarf!  Very impressive for a first project!  I've been knitting for several years, but last summer I started knitting socks to help me quit smoking and completed 18 pairs between August and December!  I guess it worked b/c it's been 1 year and 4 months since my last cigarette  Smiley

You should try doing mitts.  There are several good patterns for 2 needles and I figure one you can do mitts, you can do just about everything!  

Good luck!

Shalola
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinknut

Legolas Lives!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2004 10:00:17 AM »

Awesome scarf and way to go on quitting smoking.  That's what I love about knitting and crafts in general.  I need something to do with my hands when I'm watching TV or something.  If I just watch TV I get bored and want to eat.  If I'm knitting or doing crosstich (my other lover) then I don't get bored.  Yeah CRAFTS!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
D.J. MacHale Discusses His Series Pendragon
Philippa Gregory on Her Book the White Queen
Get to Know Author Bob Dugoni
Philippa Gregory: Story Behind the White Queen
Personal Notes of Author Dan Gutman
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...