A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,515
Currently Running With Scissors:
611 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Other methods of sc decreasing?  (Read 723 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amy_ruth
« on: January 23, 2006 08:56:05 PM »

Hoping someone out there can help me out.

I have this Japanese crochet book with a symbol that I can't decipher, but that I'm pretty sure is referring to another method of decreasing other than the common way.

On most charts a standard decrease (for example stitch one, decrease one) is represented like by an "x" and an "x" with a ^ over it.

On some charts in this book, instead of the standard decrease symbol, this appears (again seeming to indicate stitch one decrease one):

x o

As far as I can make out with my less-than-perfect translation skills, the "o" means something like decrease while also increasing.  From the photos of the finished products, this seems to result in a much smoother-looking decrease.

Anyone have any idea how to do this type of decrease?  I thought there was only one way to decrease in single crochet, but maybe I'm wrong.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Amy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006 09:15:26 PM »

Wow, I'd be interested in knowing this as well because as of right now.. I have no clue. How do you decrease one, while increasing one...? Wouldnt that negate the decrease?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
Laural
I like exclamation points!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006 02:57:44 AM »

I have no idea either. BUT I have found that only going trough the front part of the sc's makes a nicer decrease, if that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let's put the FUN back in dysfunctional!!

Wists: http://wists.com/PrincessLaural
AgentAlmost
Semi Professional Raving Lunatic

I love the smell of wet Llama in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006 03:36:12 AM »

Well, I don't know a thing about japanese patterns and can't follow graphs for the life of me, but one thing I do know from doing tech support is that the first thing you do is to always make sure that the person is on the same page as you are.

So, when you do a sc decrease do you just skip the hole or do you sc the next 2 stitches together by drawing the loop through and moving onto the next stitch, doing a single crochet drawing through three loops instead of the normal 2?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
omegabic

Viggo is such a hottie!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006 11:11:28 AM »

I have been trying to decipher some Japanese patterns myself and I was under the impression the "o" (open circle) stood for a chain (like ch 1).  I have noticed that in the graphs they use for the rounds that there is usually a - or + with a number indicating increase or decrease. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amy_ruth
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006 04:51:14 PM »

So, when you do a sc decrease do you just skip the hole or do you sc the next 2 stitches together by drawing the loop through and moving onto the next stitch, doing a single crochet drawing through three loops instead of the normal 2?

The latter.

I have been trying to decipher some Japanese patterns myself and I was under the impression the "o" (open circle) stood for a chain (like ch 1).  I have noticed that in the graphs they use for the rounds that there is usually a - or + with a number indicating increase or decrease. 

I know what you are talking about.  The book I'm using uses both symbols.  The chain symbol is more like an oval "0," while the mystery symbol is more spherical "O."

Thanks for continuing to help me decipher!

Amy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Backstage at Christian Cota with Omar Lopez, Lead Hair Stylist
Seen on Nicole Richie & Ashley Tisdale: The Brazilian Blowout
Red Carpet Ready for Robert Pattinson! Salon Makeover
Interview With Sally Hershberger - Hairstylist to the Stars: Style Icon
Interview with Frédéric Fekkai: Style Icon
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...