A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,363
Currently Running With Scissors:
410 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: firefly/serenity swap  (Read 22951 times)
Tags for this thread: firefly , serenity , whedon , tv  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

geek-pride

Hands up if you're over Twilight!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2006 04:35:43 PM »

Everytime I look at this thread the stuff just gets more and more creative and interesting!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redheadedali

I don't know what that means. - Brennan

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2006 04:48:19 AM »

I got some *beautiful* stuff from BatGrrl, but I seem to be having issues getting pictures of it. I will do my best to get them posted this evening.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This is why I suggested attack dogs, but no, my mother wanted an alpaca.- Logan, Veronica Mars

http://redheadedali.livejournal.com
michaelasmom

Nobody is born a bigot..........

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2006 05:49:26 AM »

(P.S.  The shipping box had written on the side "fragile", "glass".  After I took everything out and put the box on my box pile (yes I have a box pile) I saw that again and started thinking because I hadn't seen any glass.  Then I remembered Ron GLASS.  I don't know if it was intentional or not, but it amused me.)

Nope, no glass.  I used the box that my swap goodies were in.  I probably should have marked through the 'fragile' but I didn't think of it.

Glad you liked your stuff.  The cookbook is actually off of the serentiy movie site -- I just printed it and bound it.

One of my coworkers loves anything Whedon (he's the one that hooked me on firefly by loaning me his DVDs) so when I made the browncoat stationary and the firefly window cling I made him some too.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Any idiot can handle a crisis.  It's the day to day living that wears you out."  -- Anton Checkov
geek-pride

Hands up if you're over Twilight!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2006 05:52:09 PM »

I got some *beautiful* stuff from BatGrrl, but I seem to be having issues getting pictures of it. I will do my best to get them posted this evening.

I think Batgrrl has pics of it she can post for you...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redheadedali

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2006 05:57:20 PM »

I think Batgrrl has pics of it she can post for you...

That would actually be spiffy. Batgrrl? Smiley

Alison
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This is why I suggested attack dogs, but no, my mother wanted an alpaca.- Logan, Veronica Mars

BatGrrl
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2006 07:03:00 PM »

I do have pics, but I'd tailored them more for personal details for future replication and a little less for everything-in-a-glance display, which means everything is separate.  They may be too big and rambly?  Let's try this--I'll post one of the pics from the place settings and then maybe post the rest as links for people to follow if they like.  I'll do the same with the clothes if I did it in two--one posted, one linked.

OK....I decided to make a set of ten placemats, one for each character (including the ship) based on their torsos and mode of dress, but I also wanted them to be matchable, so I did the backs in a starry-sky fabric with four pictures of the character in question (at least one picture involves food or drink) and quotes penned in silver between.  The torso's include varying levels of detail, as buttons and other such hard small notions would be problematic for balancing plates.  Each place setting has a unique napkin ring that's made to somehow tie into the front side of the placemat and an accompanying napkin with food-related quotes penned around the outside in gold (if two people are speaking, the other person's words are in silver).  With the food quotes, no matter how entertaining, I steered clear of references to vomit, exploding ribcages, and crotches.  Cannibalism, however, in the context of young River, was considered hilarious and safe eating material.  These pictures are made up of three spliced pictures, a close-up of the napkin ring on top, the front of the placemat with napkin in ring (I later changed all the napkins to be diagonal in the ring and less square-shaped), and the back side.  I apologize for varied lighting from shot to shot, but you should get the idea.  (Any quotes actually in quotation marks on the back of the placemats was said about the character rather than by them, with the exception of Serenity, who doesn't speak except rarely when incorporally possessed by River.)

OK, here's the one I'll splice in.  Mal's suspenders are clipless for the plate-balance issue, but there's a suspender clip on the ring.  In an attempt to represent both suspenders and browncoat, imagine his coat pushed back, like he's reaching for his gun, so you just see part of the coat at the top.

Zoe doesn't need much explanation:

Wash is a Hawaiian print shirt in a Serenity-the-movie fashion, with a pocket full of dinosaurs (see details shot later in post).  Dino buttons on the ring, stegosaurus and a tyranosaur of nondescript origin (imagine it's an allosaurus).

Kaylee's overalls, complete with teddy bear and girly flowers.  Tools in pocket, napkin ring that tries to bridge her girly love of ruffles (light pink and white) with machine parts.  (The quotes do the same--"Ooh! Mangos!" is across from "Ooh!  Synchronizers!")

Jayne's has Blue Sun logos in the corners, purposefully ironed onto the camo using a light transfer so that it sort of blends in like on the shirt River sliced.  I put the logos in the corners so they wouldn't be plate-blocked.  Black gun strap across the chest, and a small topless version of Craftster's ever popular Jayne hat as the napkin ring (typo in the link happened before upload, so it should still work):

Inara's is pretty straightforward:

I know Simon only wears black and white when he has his actual jacket on, but he wears a lot of dark colors and I wanted to capture the feel of that contrast in a "rich" fabric.  The napkin ring was going to be a shirt sleeve cuff, but I didn't have any proper buttons around, so I added the black piping to reemphasize the contrast:

River's is sort of based on the dress-vest combo seen in multiple episodes, particularly in Objects in Space.  The rubber ball was most decidedly hard to hollow out--if anyone has personally-tested tips on cutting through rubber neatly, I'd love to hear them.

Book's has his traveling coat with strap, and a little silver Bible and cross on the ring.

Serenity is a shiny charcoal grey that may not come out very truly in the picture.  The movie logo in the center is ironed onto white fabric and sewed on as a patch, which is the only reason that I didn't go 4 corners with that, too.  The ring tries to mimic that eerie green leaking of the "Let's moon 'em" shot from Serenity the episode:

Here's details on some of the pieces:

OK, now Inaraesque wraps.

Here's the stole, in a glittery red:

There's a shawl in dark charcoal with silver shot through. Here it is on me:

And here are a few up close details, including the fringe I added:

Finally, what was originally a "simple wrap, maybe with some added fringe" and wound up a capelet--what makes me happiest about it is the way that it hangs a lot like her kimono sleeves without actually being sleeves--not sure if the pics will really show that:

Again, details:

Details betray that the darts were through both layers, but I was worried how it would hang on redheadedali's shoulders and figured those would be easier to alter if needed.

I was also playing around with a FF/S tarot deck, but I didn't have the means to capture screens myself, so it didn't get crafted.

Pieces,

Joanne

*Edited to fix broken picture links.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012 01:39:42 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
BatGrrl
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2006 07:30:22 PM »

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I found these screen captures at Can't Take the Sky:  http://still-flying.net/images/

(I know I can edit, but that last post was getting unwieldy.)

Pieces,

Joanne
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dizzydragonfly
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2006 07:34:50 PM »

Shocked   Holy placesettings Batgrrl!

Those are amazing! The details and thought you put into this have left me (relatively) speechless!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The crafter formerly known as jesssf!

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.   - Eleanor Roosevelt

http://dizzydragonfly.blogspot.com

Wists
redheadedali

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2006 07:35:08 PM »

See, so pretty, right? I got totally spoiled! Some of my favorite things are River's placemat, and of course the wraps. I told my boy that we had to go somwhere nice so I could wear them Wink. We are already having a romantic-but-not-really-for-Valentine's-Day nice dinner on Friday at one of our favorite restaurants, and I think I am going to wear the stole - I will look *fancy*. And then I'm thinking I should throw a Firefly dinner party - I have all the place settings now, and I can wear the spiffy capelet Smiley.

Thanks again, Joanne Smiley.

Alison
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redheadedali

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2006 07:38:01 PM »

OK, so I just noticed that Joanne is wearing a River T-shirt in the pictures. How awesome is that? Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sculpt a Halloween Pumpkin
How to Make a Spooky Halloween Ghost Ornaments from Gauze
How to Make a Halloween Tablecloth
Designing a Quick and Easy Halloween Bag
How to Craft Shriveled Halloween Heads
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...