A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October 5th News Announcement:  New Featured Projects posted!  Congratulate these artists for being selected!
Total Members: 308,416
Currently Running With Scissors:
391 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Buying My First Needles  (Read 2042 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: January 23, 2006 11:29:22 AM »

OK, so I have knitted a couple scarfs in garter stitch, and I own two sets of needles, size 5 and 8.  I want to start trying some more complex patterns and knitting in the round.  Would you guys recommend biting the bullet and investing in the Denise interchangeable set right away?  I have head so many good things about it on this board. 
Also does anyone know the best on line site to order supplies in Canada?  The Denise set on knitpicks.com is around $50 + $9 shipping, and when I convert that to Canadian I'm looking at $75 maybe.  What is a reasonable price to pay?  Are there any good Canadian web sites?

Thanks everyone!  I am already obsessed with knitting and I haven't even made anything cool yet!

(former username: kaesea)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006 11:45:38 AM »

There's a list of Canadian shops on the Denise website. I don't know where you are in Canada, but maybe one of these shops is close to you (down near the bottom of the page -- after the 50 states). If not, many of them have websites, so you should be able to find something:

If you can find them locally, you can at least save on shipping. $50 USD does seem to be the going price -- even if you buy them directly from Denise.

But I posted mainly to say: BUY THEM. I *wish* I had bought my Denise set when I only had 2 needles! Now I have a bunch of spare needles that I never use because I only use my Denise. They're fantastic! And if you add up the cost of how much all of these individual needles would cost you, you can see that you'll save a ton of money by buying this set. They're great and I love them.

There are some very cool tips and tricks on the Denise site written by Cat Bordhi. Since you're new to knitting, they might not all make sense to you, but once you get into it, you'll see the genius of these recommendations:

I live on the west coast. She lives on the east coast. We discuss crafts in between. Right here: Trans-craft-inental.
it's always you in my big dreams

andrew mcmahonnnnn <3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006 01:10:05 PM »

i say go for it. maybe try ebay?

so I guess we're back to us, oh cameraman
swing the focus. In case I lost my train of
thought, where was it that we last left off?
let's pick up, pick up

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006 09:55:22 AM »

Thanks guys.  I think I will go looking for these tomorrow.  I have to go hunting for a LYS that I didn't know existed until this week. 
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006 10:45:07 AM »

I ordered from http://numei.com/deniseneedles.htm
It came to 47.95 US (I actually got it for 45.95 on sale before Christmas), including free ship to Canada!  They were even nice enough to check it off as a gift, so I didn't have to pay any customs on it.  DEFINITELY a great deal- I called around and my LYS' were selling it for $70-80 Canadian BEFORE taxes!

I'm a relatively new knitter too.  These were some of the first needles that I bought and I don't regret it!  Except for double-pointed needles (and other miscellaneous knitting tools like a yarn needle, stitch holders, stitch markers, crochet hook, row counter, etc.), these are all I've needed so far!

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mermaid Tail Blanket
October 19, 2016 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Vanilla Extract

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...