A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,762
Currently Running With Scissors:
492 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY blocking board?  (Read 1588 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aijay
« on: January 23, 2006 10:19:35 AM »

Hey Crafties,

Has anybody made their own blocking board?  I keep seeing little snippity partial pictures of blocking boards on knitting blogs, and they've piqued my curiosity, but I don't live in the US and the little old Greek man at my LYS looked at me like I was crazy when I asked him if he had ever seen one. 

(I was also trying to translate "blocking board" into Greek for them, and perhaps I just did a bad job. "When you put water on the wool, and you put it on the table, and you make it a good shape, and it's a board, but no not wood, and and and...."  It's not my native language, to put it lightly.)

If you've made one, or have one and feel like imagining how it might have been made, I'd love to hear/see about it!

AJ
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spirals420
I swear to the stars... I'll burn this whole city down

turn it up, so you know it's got soul... jellyroll

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006 11:11:16 AM »

i am interested in this too... i was using some foamcore board ebfore.. but it got mishappen when wet... i could still use it but it wasnt very sturday...or big
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlondieKate

^^^I wish!!^^^

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006 11:17:02 AM »

I haven't made one yet, but there's a good article on Knitty about making your own.  Have to scroll down about halfway to see it, but it does have instructions.

http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter02/FEATdiyknitter.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aijay
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006 11:53:22 AM »

The knitty tutorial looks great - thanks for the link!

I had to look up homosote/homasote... and, yup, I'm not going to find it easily here in Greece.  I've never even seen drywall here.  I suppose it's time to get creative with the materials.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vratch
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006 12:15:53 PM »

I use those kids interlocking foam mats like this: http://www.softnsafe.com/images/Products/PlainMats.jpg

I got a bag of them in a discount store (Ross if you're in the US) for $6.

They can be put together in a long strip  for blocking scarfs or in a square/rectangle for other garments. Once done it's easier to store away than a large board.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mathgirl
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006 08:01:02 PM »

I made my own blocking boarch a couple of years ago with a 2' square piece of 1/4 inch plywood and some foamcore I got at Hobby Lobby in the pillow section. I glued the foam to the plywood with spray glue, then covered the top in canvas fabric and stapled the fabric to the back with a staple gun. It is nice for sweater sleeves and small flat stuff, but I am usually making socks so I hardly ever use it. The size is definitely a limitation...I would love to have a board to block a scarf or shawl  on but that would need to be huge. It was very easy to make through, if you need such a thing. I guess this is more or less what is described in the knitty directions, whcih I hadn't seen when I made this thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ambient Art - Gauguin
Ambient Art - Degas
Ambient Art - Cezanne
How to Clean Up and Maintenance Airbrushes
How to Reveal Masked Image using an Airbrush
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...