A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,162
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what do we think of "alchemy" on etsy?  (Read 6643 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008 12:42:37 PM »

From the buyer standpoint, I just completed an awesome Alchemy transaction. I didn't pick the lowest offer, nor the highest,  but the person who seemed most excited about the project and who had the best communication. I think I paid a fair price for her and for me, and we really had fun planning the project. I hope she had as much fun making it! I am really looking forward to getting it! She made exactly what I wanted, and I paid her a wee bit extra to cover her etsy and paypal fees, and we are both happy. I will definitely use it again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
Muddy Paws
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2008 09:38:21 AM »

I have not had much luck with Achemy and ended up turning off the request button on my shop. I still do tons of custom orders, but I much prefer it if people convo me with what they want.

The very first Alchemy request that I got just never felt right from the beginning - just a niggling feeling that something wasnt right. I convo'd first before accepting and good thing I did. I could never pin down the buyer to exactly how many of the items she wanted (knitting stitch markers in this case), but she was very specific on how many she wanted, which beads and how much she would pay. When I wanted all details ironed out before I would click accept, she quickly went away.

The next request dragged on for 2 months and the sale never was completed.

I have never bid on a request, but I do read them every now and then when I want a good laugh.  Smiley  Some are so outragous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.muddypawsknitknacks.etsy.com
Unique stay-on-your-knitting row counters. Practical and pretty!
Two Cheese Please
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2008 08:04:51 PM »

From the buyer standpoint, I just completed an awesome Alchemy transaction. I didn't pick the lowest offer, nor the highest,  but the person who seemed most excited about the project and who had the best communication. I think I paid a fair price for her and for me, and we really had fun planning the project. I hope she had as much fun making it! I am really looking forward to getting it! She made exactly what I wanted, and I paid her a wee bit extra to cover her etsy and paypal fees, and we are both happy. I will definitely use it again.

This makes me so happy to read!

I recently won an alchemy bid to make a custom softie and I'm having so much fun! I'm really tempted to ask what the other bids were like, because I'm curious as to why I was chosen. I probably won't ask because I'm not sure if it's polite or not, but I'm still very curious!

I love to do customs because my favourite part is talking with the buyer to work out what it is they're after, and then making them their perfect thing. I like to send lots of photos and updates during the process because I think it's more fun if everyone's involved. So I'm glad that this is seen as a good thing!

The hardest thing about Alchemy is moderating your bids! There's about 7 things I want to bid on to make right now but it would be a disaster if all 7 accepted and I had to get everything made at once! :p
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For more behind-the-scenes craft babble, stop by http://twocheeseplease.livejournal.com
sapphire_distortion
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2008 04:44:17 PM »

I have personally not had a good experience with it, but I have only used it once as a buyer. It has actually turned into The Etsy Purchase From H-E-Double Hockey Sticks, haha. I think it's a good idea in theory - aside from the fact that people will abuse it to try and get cheaper versions of other's Etsy products and etc., craftsters lowballing each other isn't cool either Sad - but I think unfortunately you will probably run into a lot of flakes as I've experienced and others have mentioned.

Some of the expected prices on there ARE ridiculously low though - 100 ceramic discs for $100? A dollar a disc, really? $10 for a custom tabletop? A store banner, logo, and business card design for $10?!? (and there's actually bids on that one!) A knit striped sweater for $25? Sheeeeeeesh! Now I gotta stop looking because it's a little depressing Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Decline Designs - the blog
Two Cheese Please
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2008 04:53:57 PM »

I agree, some of the "ideal prices" are pretty ridiculous. You couldn't even buy the wool to make the knitted top for $25! And a table top for $10? Geez, I'll take 3!

There are so many requests that I just didn't bid on even though I know I could do a swell job, because I wasn't willing to lower my price down that far. I COULD do it for that price but it'd mean I'd probably make about $2 profit - and that includes labour. I guess you could always place your bid with your price but if they want it for $10 they're probably just going to decline a more realistic price anyway, because it will be a lot higher.

Some of the things that are being requested are pretty funny, though! I like browsing through and having a bit of a chuckle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For more behind-the-scenes craft babble, stop by http://twocheeseplease.livejournal.com
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2008 05:54:12 PM »

I wonder if people are just putting any price because they have no idea, and would be open to paying more?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
Two Cheese Please
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2008 05:57:06 PM »

I wonder if people are just putting any price because they have no idea, and would be open to paying more?

Some people are, for sure, but there are others who say "I don't really want to pay more than this" but their ideal price seems, to me, to be far too low. You could do it for that price but you wouldn't make a profit or even get any payment for labour. Which is pretty sad. But then there are some great people on there as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sapphire_distortion
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2008 06:13:13 PM »

Well, I actually looked at those to make sure because I saw a few that were really low and then in the actual request they said "I know this is way too low". These appeared to be the actual person's ideal price. The knitted one wasn't wool, it was supposed to be cotton, but a men's XL - I don't knit, I crochet, but from the one time I made a sweater (for me, a women's medium), I'm pretty sure that $25 wouldn't even cover the hours of labor let alone the cost of the yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Decline Designs - the blog
recrdchaos
Knight of Time, Philosopher Prince

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2009 05:40:12 PM »

I was just browsing the requests as well, and I'm totally chiming in that some people want stuff at insanely low prices. The one that stands out to me is the girl who wants a velvet gothic gown with butterfly sleeves, etc. I take pride in knowing quite a bit about the alternative clothing scene, even though I'm more of a thrift store goth (due to funds, of course XD) and I can confidently say a dress like this one would go for 120$ at least, if not more. She wanted it for 40$.

Um, what? I'm not saying goth fashion isn't usually overpriced, because it totally is. But 40$ for a full length velvet gown? If you want real velvet, I doubt you could even get the fabric for that much.

It looks like the people who don't know what they want to pay are putting like, two cents. Not sure though, all the lowballing got me kinda depressed so I only did a brief browse.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crafty gurll
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2009 08:08:17 PM »

There is a lot of nonsense on Alchemy, my favorite is "Show me what you got for $5 including shipping" and then 100 people bid on it. Tongue  Once you weed through stuff like that, you can find decent requests.  About 35% of my sales have come from alchemy bids, so it is worth it to check it out.  Don't underbid yourself, explain the process involved, and if they accept your bid great, if not, move on. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Dish Cloth Part 6/9
How to Crochet a Dish Cloth Part 2/9
How to Crochet a Dish Cloth Part 5/9
How to Crochet a Dish Cloth Part 9/9
How to Crochet a Diamond Cable Stitch Part 9/9
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...