A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
390 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what do we think of "alchemy" on etsy?  (Read 6421 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GeorgiaN
Fierce Kitten Studio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006 07:21:37 AM »

I have used Alchemy to keep track of conversations regarding custom order requests; however, I do not use Alchemy to finalize the order. I actually post the item to my shop as a custom order for X etsy user. This way I get views to my shop, and the item shows up in my sold items section for others to see. I actually got an order based off of something I did custom that the user found in my sold items list, so that does work!

The other thing I noticed about Alchemy is that it has become the bargain bin for custom requests. There are a couple of listings there where people have taken pictures of other etsy sellers' goods and requested a cheaper version. There are also listings where people post designer items (purses, shirts, etc.) and ask for a replica at a completely unrealistic price.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Georgia Nelson
Fierce Kitten Studio
http://www.fiercekitten.com/
gothmom
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006 09:56:50 AM »

Oh I totally noticed that cheapskate person who wants designer stuff but have some crafter make it for less than minimum wages.  Not only ripping off the designer but the crafter too.   I hope nobody bids on that persons stuff.  But all things equal, they probably will.

I wish more people would post wishes on Alchemy.  Wishes for things made of leather...

Gothmom
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sillysausage
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006 03:53:09 PM »

it's quite fun looking through the Alchemy requests it's such a good idea Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

muchachaK
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2006 03:38:41 PM »

I love the idea of Alchemy, but the reality disappoints me.  I hate to see crafters lowballing each other price wise...I'm cool with people negotiating, but a lot of the initial price requests I've seen are insultingly low.  If you want cheap @#*$^% go to Walmart, don't screw your fellow crafters. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You need a handbag...  www.muchachak.com
sillysausage
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006 03:43:08 PM »

I love the idea of Alchemy, but the reality disappoints me.  I hate to see crafters lowballing each other price wise...I'm cool with people negotiating, but a lot of the initial price requests I've seen are insultingly low.  If you want cheap @#*$^% go to Walmart, don't screw your fellow crafters. 

yeah i agree
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheSapphireMoon
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's like a vacation for the mind, to leave the body behind...

Rockin' the baubles all around town...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008 01:54:00 PM »

So I was stumbling around killin' time on Etsy a week ago and came across something called Alchemy.

I click into it and did some reading on the help docs about it.  Looked pretty cool, so I went in to check it out.  TONS of requests out there, but unfortunately at the time I was looking not many that I would be qualified to fulfill Sad  I will look around again.

In case many of you are looking like this right now

Huh Huh Huh

Alchemy is basically a place similar to 'want it now' on eBay where someone posts what they want and people can respond saying they've got what they 'want'.  On Etsy, someone posts a request for something they would like custom made for them, like a special necklace with specific materials, colors, etc., and sellers can 'bid' on completing a custom order for that person.  The requester can post pics as examples of what they may be looking for, post a description, materials, and cost of the project.  Then the requester will choose a 'bidder' to make their custom item for them.

Anyone tried this?  Got accepted as a 'bidder' to do a custom order?  Feedback?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ ♥ Zoe ♥ ~

In need of rainbow fabrics for a Teesha Moore tote, PM me to swap!

ETSY
http://thesapphiremoon.etsy.com
PINTEREST
http://www.pinterest.com/thesapphiremoon

Shop The Swap 62
50 Projects 2012
gothmom
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008 07:52:24 AM »

I've done a couple of requests.  3 were just fine, no problems at all but one time the person requesting totally flaked on me and I ended up with a domokun doll and no buyer. 

I just bid on something yesterday and got refused.  The other person who bid obviously got it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarasvati

love for crafting!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008 08:58:33 AM »

I have used it as a buyer and a seller and it has worked out great!  I requested a knitting needle case and found a seller that made me a gorgeous one, better than I could have imagined!  I have also done an Alchemy order for someone, although it was a private request and they sought me out, so it hasn't been from actually placing a bid.

It is unfortunate to see people requesting items that are currently on Etsy, but for cheaper...that's just wrong!  Especially if they post the pictures of the actual item from the Etsy shop!  It is unfortunate that people can take such a positive thing and turn it into a negative way, just to save a few bucks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lostmittenblog.blogspot.com - my crafting blog
http://www.flickr.com/lost_mitten - my flickr
I'm Craftster's August 2009 Featured Needlework Artist!

(Mini) Nerd Swap - sign-ups right now! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=342519.0
sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008 06:49:11 PM »

so how can one protect themselves from this?
I guess it would work to make sure that all photos have your ID across the middle of it... I've seen some ppl post pics that way, which I find a little annoying but I guess it's the only way to protect oneself/one's work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008 08:54:55 AM »

Hasn't worked well for me.  I put out a request for a custom shirt for a gift, and had several bidders right away.  I chose the one I wanted, and denied the others.... only to have the one I chose FLAKE.  Because I was waiting around for that shop to respond/show designs/finalize the deal, it was too late to have the item made by the time I needed it!  So I didn't get the custom shirt I needed.  Grrrr..... I won't be using Alchemy again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
4 Truths About Our Post-Baby Bodies
5 Must-Haves for Your Maternity Wardrobe
Top 7 Pregnancy Announcements
Why Having A Baby At 28-Weeks Made Me More Pro-Choice
Guide on How to Raise a Drug-Free Kid
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...