A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
851 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Nearly Round Record bowls and Record Journal  (Read 2924 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: January 22, 2006 08:32:21 PM »

Here are some "nearly" round record bowls.  I think I left them in the oven a little too long?? (5 mins) but maybe the bowl I used had something to do with it 'cause when I got it out of the oven and shaped it around the bowl with a cloth, and had cooled a little, I couldn't get the darn thing off the bowl.  I then stuck it in the freezer for 5 mins and the sucker popped right off!!!!  And, yeah, duh I put the bowl label upside down when I took the pic  Tongue  The bowl I used as a mold was a stainless steel one - it's one of those ones that come in a nest of about 4 or 5 ranging in sizes.

Also, after seeing this post http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=44086.0 by cydniey on a record journal, I just had to try it.  So, here's my spin on it.  I used rings that I bought from the newsagent - they're kinda like metal curtain rings and they come in all different sizes (these ones are probably too big but it's all I had lying around).  All I did to cut it was to cut a template from cardboard and then using a metal ruler (on top of the cardboard) cut it with a stanley knife (that's what we call them in Australia).  I think in the US they're called an Exacto knife???  Anyway, its no fancy knife, just one a builder would use - 'cause they're cheap.  I didn't cut right through, just ran it down the ruler 4 or 5 times.  I then turned the record over (with the cut side down), holding the outside edge with fingers, place both thumbs approximately where the knife score is and snap it.  It will give you a nice clean line.  Once it's cut, surprisingly, the edges were quite smooth and straight.  The front cover was done with a thinner record and the back cover was done with a thick record.  Both turned out the same.  The only difference was that the thicker one makes a louder noise when snapped - I terrified my two boys 6 and 4.  They just looked at me with horror when I snapped the first snap!!!  I would recommend eye protection and perhaps gloves but I like to live my craft life on the edge sometimes - BTW I did turn my head to protect my eyes!!!! Grin

As for the holes, I used a soldering iron at first and just melted them but they weren't big enough for the rings so I got out my trusty drill and just drilled holes.  Again, the drilled holes look clean and neat - unlike me really......

Now..... off to make the pages.......

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cruisin Status
Eat, Sleep, Breathe Art

Cruisin Status

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006 03:09:54 AM »

Wink Ah! I LOVE the notebook!!! So cute.  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Memory, prophecy and fantasy- the past, the future and the dreaming moment between- are all one country, living one immortal day. To know that is Wisdom. To use it is the Art." ~ Clive Barker
Jess70
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006 06:47:34 AM »

That notebook would make the perfect gift for my cousin.  She is a music and scrapbook lover.  This could combine both.  Gonna have to hunt down some records at the thrift store.  You rock!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

..)) -::-
. .))    -::-  
((. . -::- -::-  -::- -::-
((.  .     Jessica Lintott   -::- 
-::- ((. -::- -::-  -::- -::-

BOYCOTT SEW FAST SEW EASY!
visit www.freetostitchfre etobitch.org
my blogs can be found at livejournal (cheekymama) and blogs
Voco
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006 06:17:11 PM »

I love how interesting looking your bowls turned out to be! They looks awesome along with that jounal!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KnitterMa
Hey, Nice Veins.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006 06:48:34 PM »

Heyyy my record bowl looks exactly like yours!  I also used a stainless steel bowl ... I thought it might be because my oven is electric and the heat seems to get out of hand when I'm baking. 

Wish I'd thought of tossing it in the freezer - I pried mine off with a knife  Undecided .  No harm done, it was just harder. 

I dig that record journal too ...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006 11:34:58 PM »

KnitterMa:  Yes.  That's probably what it was - a combo of stainless steel and electric oven.  So Mythbusterish!!!

After I had posted on this board, I realised that A5 paper fits it nicely - you know that paper with the pre-punched holes that's meant for binders, but A5 sized. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stringofpearls
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010 04:56:28 PM »

I was wondering how to cut the record without making a mess...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010 06:12:46 PM »

Those bowls are great queen. I really like the bookcover you made. Thanks for the link. I recently got a bind it all & I'm wondering if I can use a album in that. I'm going try it tomorrow. I have to go & get a couple of albums from the thrift store. Thanks for the link. I'll give it a go this weekend & I'll post something if it works out.

BTW, a stanley knife (a box cutter) is much bigger than an exacto knife. The stanley takes a regular razor blade sized blade, an exacto blade is smaller (easier to cut your finger, like I did earlier this week, if you're not careful). I think an exacto would be too small for something like an album.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

humboldtcherry

Marching to the beat of a different accordion

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010 06:29:54 PM »

Cool!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftHooligan
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010 07:59:45 PM »

Saw a notebook kind of like that in urban outfitters. i love going to shops like that and then making all the stuff yourself with the ideas you get!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Pick Evening Wear
How to Pick the Right Shoes for Your Outfit
How to Fashionably Cover Your Legs
How to Shop NYC Thrift Stores
How to Find NYC Sample Sales
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...