A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,759
Currently Running With Scissors:
636 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: button clutch purse! over 250 buttons!  (Read 6386 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lalalibertine

philly craft stylez

View Profile WWW
« on: January 22, 2006 06:18:17 PM »

I actually made this for my best friend for christmas, but didn't get around to posting it until now. i took inspiration from http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=45211.0 and i'm very pleased with the results.

the clutch before! the leather was ridiculous to sew through. my fingers still hurt!

after (front):

after (back):

It took me about 15 hours to complete. I wish I had enough patients to make one for myself. The best part about this gift is that it only cost me $5.

Enjoy! Comments and criticisms appreciated!!!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007 11:43:49 AM by lalalibertine - Reason: updating images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Zephyr
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006 08:01:23 PM »

Ahh neat Smiley I like the colors of the buttons you chose; theyre so bright and virbant! did she like it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GreatBallofFire
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006 08:07:41 PM »

I realize that the craftsmanship on that one is amazing, but I wonder if you could sew just the buttons (for the sewed on look) and then glue them to the purse and each other. Hmmm... I want one for spring break in Chicago sooooo bad!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the Knitting Journal
www.sticksnloans.bl ogger.com
lalalibertine

philly craft stylez

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006 09:15:35 PM »

thanks guys! yes, my friend loved it! thank god because i worked so hard.

GreatBallofFire,do you mean just like sew through the button holes, to make it look like it's sewed but then just glue the buttons onto the bag? Actually, that's a pretty good idea. I am not sure how well the bag would hold up with repeated wear, though. I would give it a shot. I'm sure it would be a lot faster than sewing each button on. Good luck if you try it!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GreatBallofFire
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006 08:02:21 PM »

Yah. I think I'm gonna have to try it. Now I just need my mom to fedex the hot glue gun to school for me!  Wink
I have a woven magezine clutch I just started though, so it could be a while (I have exams too! yuck!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the Knitting Journal
www.sticksnloans.bl ogger.com
jtfelix
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006 01:38:56 PM »

That is absolutely fabulous! I've got so many hundreds of buttons laying around! I'm definitely going to have to make one of these! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bonbonz101
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006 01:40:41 PM »

very cute  Smiley

i give you a lot of credit for sewing all those buttons on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Back from a long hiatus!
PM me about personal swaps Tongue

Wists: http://www.wists.com/bonbonz101
Style blog: http://mypolychromelife.blogspot.com
Check out my vintage Etsy store!: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6023310

Smiley
alyek
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006 06:52:20 PM »

Yah. I think I'm gonna have to try it. Now I just need my mom to fedex the hot glue gun to school for me!  Wink
I have a woven magezine clutch I just started though, so it could be a while (I have exams too! yuck!)

If you do end up trying out just glueing the buttons on, tell me how it works out.   
good luck on the magazine clutch, I made one too, but not a clutch (I altered it) and I love it. It only took me about a day.

Ohh and good luck on exams... I have my finals this week too ! eeee
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow"
gingerquilts
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006 05:15:38 AM »

Very cute!  I love buttons and seem to collect them from all kinds of places, thrift stores, garage sales, etc.  They even had bags of antique buttons for sale at our local art center last Sunday.  Couldn't pass that up!

I wonder if they still sell those little machines for attaching buttons.  They looked like a gun and I think had little plastic things that look like the ones they attach price tags with.  I bet it would be easier to sew all those buttons through fabric than it was through leather.  Nice job - what a good friend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lalalibertine

philly craft stylez

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006 12:38:38 PM »

I wonder if they still sell those little machines for attaching buttons.  They looked like a gun and I think had little plastic things that look like the ones they attach price tags with.  I bet it would be easier to sew all those buttons through fabric than it was through leather.  Nice job - what a good friend!

I thought about that also, but someone told me that the way it works is like some little plastic piece holds the button on? They really weren't clear on it. I've seen a little handheld one on the television before. I wish there was something to attatch buttons (cheaply). Maybe a fancy sewing machine? Oh well! And yes, fabric would've been SO much easier than leather, but i was afraid if i cut the leather off the bag wouldn't be sturdy enough. Hm...

But thanks everyone for the positive feedback!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Apple and Ham Eggs Benedict Recipe
The Missing Black Chefs
How to Make Authentic Texas BBQ
Fantastic Gluten Free Corn Hot Cakes
Emoo-Ving Story: Anthony Eats America Ep. 1 - Deleted Scene
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...