A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
698 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Donnie Darko Gallery  (Read 2967 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sarcastra
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006 12:22:44 AM »

I got my fantastic items from recycled-earth today.  Here are some photos:

A shot of everything.  Simply ignore the skewish tree shadows - had to catch the last of daylight before work.  This pic doesn't do the tote any justice - it is really nice and not at all boring as the evil camera made it appear in this one.  The vintage Smurfette pillow is on the right and a baggie of a dozen 1" pins is in the foreground.

This first shot shows the excellent flap on the front of the tote, which flaps down to expose rows of elastics on the tote side for sliding items into and pockets on the flap side, perfect for unwieldy long items.  The sides of the tote are shown in the next two photos.  The back of the tote is not shown, but has two rows of really big pockets in canvas on it.

Last shot is of the little pins.  She claims she didn't make them herself.  She did, however, do a great job of picking out some of the best shots in the movie.

Why this is perfect, the whole story:
A few weeks after the swap started, I got the list of supplies required for my General Art class.  (I love that an art class is actually required!! Fun.) Since it is general art, you need a couple of every arty supply that exists, it seems like.  All of these items I got and managed to shove into my bookbag, albeit roughly and crowded - except for the monstrous drawing pad of 80lb paper.  The thing wouldn't fit in my bookbag so, I've had to carry it to class each week, which SUCKS!  No one in the class has managed a good way to carry this enormous, flyaway pad of paper.  A pair of gals use a shopping bag and everyone else carries it in, to their dismay and annoyance.  The tote recycled_earth made for me FITS THE DRAWING PAD PERFECT!!  It's like she had the measurements.  Not only does it fit both drawing pads (why two? - long story..) it also fits the watercolor pad, two sketchbooks, folder, notepad and trays.  My watercolors and color pencils fit in the back pockets perfectly, brushes and ruler fit in the front flap down perfectly, pencils in the other back pocket and the whole thing is neatly contained - with some room left over, ready to go by my door, which is vital since the class is dead early for me and I'm not high-functioning when sleepy.  Oh yeah, it looks absolutely badass, too.
This is the most perfect swap package I've ever gotten.  Thank you and you rock!

Edited for typos, because I seem to have fat fingers tonight.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006 12:26:38 AM by Sarcastra » THIS ROCKS   Logged

recycled_earth

Forget the llamas. Gimme some hedgehog love.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006 03:18:47 AM »

Wow, "most perfect swap package"...I don't know how to handle it...I'm grinning like an idiot...

I'm so happy it fits all of your art stuff so well.  I remember those huge stupid pads from art classes.  They're cumbersome and annoying.  Hooray for being the only one in class with an appropriate bag!

Things I learned from this swap: my sewing machine is lame, sewing machine needles break really easily, and it sucks to have broken sewing machine needles flying around your house.  Also it hurts when you punch a sewing machine because it doesn't want to sew vinyl.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006 11:28:19 PM by recycled_earth » THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I die before I learn to speak, will money pay for all the days I lived awake but half-asleep?   -Primitive Radio Gods

UK crafters unite!  www.craftermath.co. uk
recycled_earth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006 06:30:20 AM »

I got my package from Sarcastra yesterday!  I'm so amazed at the amount of time she obviously spent on everything.  It's all so fab - I love it!  Advance apologies for the awful pictures.  My digi cam does not like me.

This is a horrible picture, but I promise everything is awesome.  There are two boxes, each with a scene and quote from the movie.  The smaller one says "When it will remind you of how beautiful the world can be" and has a picture of Donnie and Gretchen kissing, and there's silver glitter around the edge.  The larger one says "Why do you wear that stupid bunny suit?"  "Why are  you wearing that stupid man suit?" and has pictures of Gretchen, Donnie, and Frank the man (without the bunny suit).  They're even lined with what feels like velvet or some other really soft fabric.  The tops are really cool - instead of being smooth and Mod-Podged, they're sort of...grainy.  Or something.  I can't describe it well, but it's very cool.  She also sent a little pot of silver textile glitter, which I'm so happy about - I love silver, and I love glittery things in moderation.  I think my Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law shirt is going to be glitterfied soon.  Then there's an American Girl wristband with a giant red star on it.  It's already found a place on my wrist:

Hidden inside the bag that she made was also a black and white memory wire bracelet.  Unfortunately my daughters ran off with that one for their dress-up games, so I don't get to wear it.

And my favorite of the bunch, a beautiful canvas messenger bag.  Frank's head is on the front, and the countdown numbers are just under the flap.  There are lots of places to put pens and a credit card pocket on the underside of the flap.

It's lined with a great orange print fabric, and the zipper pull on the inside pocket is a little plastic charm of Frank's head.  I have no idea how she made that charm, but I LOVE it.  The pocket is lined with yummy black satin.  The appliques are just gorgeous and so well done.  I've been needing a new messenger bag forever, so I'm so thrilled to get it.

As if this stuff wasn't enough, my awesome partner has made something else, too!  It was in a separate box and hasn't arrived yet, probably due to the silly military mail system.  But I'll post that as soon as I get it.  Thanks, Sarcastra, this is all so great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I die before I learn to speak, will money pay for all the days I lived awake but half-asleep?   -Primitive Radio Gods

Satanic cornflakes

Hallo darling !

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006 09:22:06 AM »

Oh dammit I missed a Donnie Darko swap!!!  Angry Cry Angry Cry I need to start checking these out more often! I love the purse!!

Same... this is like my fave movie of all time ..... and I love the note under your pic: "Jack Nasty loves you !" lmfao. Apart from 2 of my friends who went with me, I don't know ANYONE else who has seen Brokeback !

And all the items in this gallery are INCREDIBLE ! *tries and fails to swipe them while no one is looking*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
cosmicjacuzzi

We all float face down.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2006 01:57:59 PM »

wow, what great stuff!

i love the bags. theyre amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
recycled_earth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2006 02:37:52 PM »

Here's my other item from Sarcastra - it arrived in the post today!

It's a freaking beautiful pillow.  On one side is "Every living creature on this earth dies alone" and on the back is the poem that Donnie reads in class. 

I'm so thrilled with this swap!  I got more great stuff than I could ever have imagined, and it was tons of fun to watch the movie again and get ideas.  Thanks, Sarcastra, for being a wicked partner, and thanks Cosmicjacuzzi for being a wicked swap organizer.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Satanic cornflakes

Hallo darling !

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2006 02:40:56 AM »

:O That pillow is beautiful !!! I love the poem he reads....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
Sarcastra
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2006 01:32:44 PM »

Glad the stuff was liked.
The box tops were done with Oh So Sticky sheets and Ultrafine Micro Beads, both from this store: http://www.pennywisearts.com/beadstrans.html Some good stuffs there.
The inside is a paper velvet I found in a craft store years ago.
The zipper charm is from printer Shinky Dink.  It was the first time I'd tried the stuff and that was the best one that came out - yikes!

Okay, everyone else is going to have to pony up their pictures now, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SidekickFancy
...and then there was Fancy...

Funny how it feels when there's nothing to say...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2006 06:29:53 PM »

Oh my gosh. This stuff is so amazing!!! I hope there's a round two!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happiness can be found in the darkest of times...if one only remembers to turn on the lights.

You can lead a heart to love, but you can't make it fall.

http://www.wists.com/thegyrlwholived
cosmicjacuzzi

We all float face down.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2006 04:22:59 PM »

Theres a possibility of round 2! So many people have expressed interest in it that didnt sign up, so Im thinking about organizing again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply Bronzer
How to Get Rid of Dark Circles and Baggy Eyes
How to Get a Fresh, Peachy Glow
Fourth of July Nail Art Tutorial
How to Get Smooth Skin
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...