A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,131
Currently Running With Scissors:
354 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need Inspiration for What to Do With Old Military Uniform  (Read 1176 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dotsamantha
getting better at being happy

"All I hear is Easter Bunny, Easter Bunny"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 21, 2006 12:36:51 PM »

Huh I'm getting out of the Army in the next few months. I've been in for ten years. I have been stationed in a bunch of different places and so I have worn different unit patches on my shoulder. I want to create something that will be like a showcase of this. I thought of maybe sewing my patches and name tapes onto either a bolt of camouflage fabric or actually cutting up one of my uniforms. I have a bunch of uniforms and other things, and I have had such an interesting ten years, I want something to remember without having to store everything in a bin in the attic. I'm looking for ideas, inspiration, anecdotes, anything! Maybe something quilt-ish? I don't know, but I'm open to anything. Thanks!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."

http://www.ravelry.com/people/dotsamantha
lady4feet
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006 02:24:52 PM »

Hello I'm wondering the same thing I get out of the Navy in about 6 months. But I've only been in for about 4 years so I'm sure you have more memorabilia then me.
I think a memory quilt would be awesome. You could put your unit patches and different photos from while you were in on plain fabric and the border could be in camouflage fabric.
Also with your medals, ribbons and you name tag you could make a shadow box. At Michaels they have these really nice scrapbook embellishments for the different services.
With your uniform pants(I did this with one of my old uniforms) they make a really cool purse/messenger bag. For the strap I used an old belt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dotsamantha
getting better at being happy

"All I hear is Easter Bunny, Easter Bunny"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006 08:15:07 PM »

Congratulations on the new chapter in your life, I'm pretty terrified, lol.. The people I work for a great and are putting together a box with my medals. I like the idea of bordering with camou. It feels so weird, the getting ready to be "normal" again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."

http://www.ravelry.com/people/dotsamantha
llamalu
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006 08:47:51 PM »

i would glue the patches, name tags, rank etc on a store bought photo album with E6000 glue.  another idea for the uniforms could be braid or crochet them into a rug. it would be very durable-a quilt might be too heavy unless you are only making a throw.  brown and gray tees also look awesome crocheted. my husband just started his terminal leave last week and we are at disney world for his retirement vacation!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006 02:37:05 PM »

i went to walmart, got a 5.95 box and glued the patches to the back, memorbila in the front of them. My dad was in the navy for 8 years
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create an Amy Winehouse Beehive Hair style
Tips on Relaxing African-American Hair
How to Maintain Hair Extensions
A Guide to African American Hairstyles
Short Hair Styles for Women
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...