A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,857
Currently Running With Scissors:
853 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how do you make a skirt out of a scarf??  (Read 2322 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jan_on_ice

oh how i wish i was a fish...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: June 14, 2004 07:46:49 PM »

i know i've posted this elsewhere, but i'm sure somebody has to know how to do this.

i saw these cool scarf skirts this lady was selling and they looked like she had just cut a big whole in the middle of square scarf. they looked really awesome, but whenever i've tried to make them they turn out pretty crap with heaps of bulk on the sides and they don't sit very nice.

does anyone make these or have any good tips for making them? or any other skirt that has that type of handkercheif look with the four long points?
Cheers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

***Truly Outrageous!!***
kayray
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004 09:11:12 PM »

Hiya,
I googled "handkerchief skirt" and came up with this great page!

http://www.shira.net/cg/8pointskirt.htm

Of course you could do it with just a plain square and not two layered ones.

It looks like the trick is to cut the circle opening just big enough to fit over your hips, so there's not a lot of extra bulk there.   For my skinny self, a 12" diameter circle would be too big, so do some math and try it out!  And post pics :)

(I think this post should be in "future projects" and not "completed" so maybe you should ask Leah to move it :)

Kara 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://kayray.org/

Mary wished to say something very sensible, but knew not how.
jan_on_ice

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004 01:47:47 PM »

hey thanks so much for that. i googlized it too but couldn't find anything!! and yeah i know this post should probably be in the future projects, but i already posted it there and no one replied. heehee sorry about that  Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged

***Truly Outrageous!!***
WildHoney
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004 07:55:40 PM »

I actually made that skirt off of that link kayray. I do a little belly dancing during the winter and made that skirt for a performance. Anyhow it works quite well, but like you said the key is to not make the hole too big. Try a sample on a scrap before cutting your project fabric. I thought I didn't make mine big enough, but it was almost too big. Make sure to use a light fabric - anything too heavy will not drape properly. Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craft-matic
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2004 09:23:59 PM »

This is a no brainer, but to get the right-size hole, measure your hips at their widest point and then divide by pi.  That equals the diameter of the circle you need.  For example, my hips are 38", so I would need a hole slightly over 12" in diameter.  That means that at the narrowest sides, the scarf would have to be 12" plus twice the length you want the skirt in width.  But remember that if you make the hole the actual diameter fo your hips, it will sit very low, and the skirt won't need to be as long as if it sat higher on the hip.  For me to be comfortable, for example, that means the scarf would have to be about 45".  That's a big scarf!  But they do exist.  Of course, you could also use the same principle with a big square of light-weight fabric or a piece of a thrift-store sheet or an opened up pillowcase or whatever else you like. 

Another way to do it would be to subtract an inch diameter from the hole you'd need to cut, cut the hole in that size, then put in a slit with a button and loop in the back.  This way the skirt will sit on your hips a little bit snugger and there will be more length available.  Then simply bind the slit and the waist with a bit of ribbon or binding tape.  In this case you have to decide whether you like the diagonal points in the front or to the sides. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
jan_on_ice

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2004 05:18:51 PM »

For some reason cutting out the hole the same circumference as my hips didn't work when we made the skirt. it was actually heaps too big. my hips are about 35" and the size hole we made that was just right was 26". however we used an oval shape (which i don't think would make any difference whatsoever), so i'm thinking it has something to do with the bias of the fabric?Huh

and thanks for your idea about binding the slit craft-matic. i was oringinally going to put a zip in, but i might do this instead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

***Truly Outrageous!!***
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Turkey Pot Pie
The Original Waldorf Salad Recipe
Wild Rice Stuffing Recipe
How to Make Kansas City Barbecue
How to Modernize Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...