A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,405
Currently Running With Scissors:
736 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafts for Middle School Boys!  (Read 3396 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

socreative
« on: January 21, 2006 11:17:04 AM »

I'm a middle school ART teacher who runs a very self-directed Art class.  I want my students to make things they like, enjoy and will use.  I have tons of ideas for girly things, but fall short with my ideas for things to suggest to middle-school boys.  Can someone please offer some suggestions?  I'd ESPECIALLY appreciate pics or tuts that I can put on my interactive whiteboard in the classroom to energize their creative thoughts.

Thanks!

Jo-Anne Jackson

socreative at hotmail dot com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewPixie
FOC Bandit #12

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006 11:32:15 AM »

Hmm here are a few thing I can think of to help get the ideas flowing:

wallets
cd holders
hats
boxes
pins\badges
wristbands
blank books
stenciled t-shirts
skateboards (re-painting and doing custom artwork)
light sabers (may sound silly but my huband loves to do these just with a metal or pvc pipe and using all manner of little odds and ends from the hardware store. no beam of light but they look pretty cool)
if any of them play the games with miniature figures there are all sort of cool terrain peices they could create
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:See profile for blog & Flickr info!:.
qt37
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006 11:35:42 AM »

or paintings, repainting stuff, makeing their own action hero then makeing a doll for it, you could also just male-a-fy the girlie craft ideas you presently have
THIS ROCKS   Logged
parisgirl
I craft for comfort

Alice in Parisland

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006 11:36:17 AM »

first off try the 745 section at your local library - that is where craft materials are kept.  Also check out the teen or young adult department - I know there are lots of crafts out there using duct tape, my sister made a duct tape tie for my father last year.

I recently was a judge at a student art show and found that were a few great entries by young men using lamp kits...they made their own paper shades and decorated them with cut paper shapes, very Asian in design.  Also Sculpty clay can be used for a variety of projects, again try the libray - some guys really enjoy making beads - things that they would wear.

Hope this helps and I'll wonder through the collection at my library this afternoon and see if I can't help locate a good book or two.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

freisss
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006 11:36:46 AM »

If you are allowed to use exacto knives with the middle schoolers, they'd probably love doing T-shirt stencils.  Here is a great tutorial:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=44928.0

Check the stencils board for some nice designs.  

Also, they would probably enjoy marble magnets , duct tape wallets, or mod podging cool images onto shoe boxes.  What about knitting?  It isn't just for girls anymore!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wasabipeasrule

Nuffin' but muffins

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006 11:43:46 AM »

If you can get them to exhibit a little teamwork, it might be fun to gte them to do a class mural, a huge piece that everyone could work on together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Um, hi everyone, I'm sarah, and I'm a craftaholic...
cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006 11:25:19 AM »

Check out the art attack site, lotsa cool - not cheesy crafts Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
julia2222
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006 02:03:09 PM »

We had a ceramics teacher in my middle/high school who was amazingly adept at getting boys (esp those who wanted nothing to do with art) into making sculpture, pots, and other clay crafts...  something about clay is very soothing and addictive.

I bet you could even get them into sewing by making ipod cases- using felt or other thick fabric.

In terms of a class mural project- a way to get kids (boys or girls) who are more into math/sci than art is to take a famous work- maybe Monet or VanGough (something they would recognize) and divide it into a grid- having each person paint a larger-scale version of their portion of the painting-- the trick is that they all have to follow the same scale, or else the mural won't come together (like a big puzzle)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
freisss
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006 05:45:58 PM »

In terms of a class mural project- a way to get kids (boys or girls) who are more into math/sci than art is to take a famous work- maybe Monet or VanGough (something they would recognize) and divide it into a grid- having each person paint a larger-scale version of their portion of the painting-- the trick is that they all have to follow the same scale, or else the mural won't come together (like a big puzzle)

I did this with middle school kids once-- it was a lot of fun.  I taped single sheets of copier paper to the wall and used the overhead projector to project Seurat's "A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte."  Kids sketched out the sections on individual pieces of paper, took them down and colored them in, then taped them back up in place.  When all of the pieces were finished, we pieced the mural together like a huge quilt.  It turned out really well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
josita
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006 03:53:16 PM »

- With the popularity of manga, you might get guys interested in Chinese or Japanese lettering.
- Making recycled paper is hugely messy, which means it was hugely popular when I did it with middle schoolers (girls and boys)
- Also had good luck with salt dough ornaments (which I baked at home and brought back in for painting)
- My son enjoyed making a functioning vehicle from 100% recyled materials.
- My grade school art teacher had us make papier mache garbage cans shaped like an elephant's foot, painted wildly.
- We also traced each other on giant sheets of paper and then collaged in the outline.
- Seems like there's some animation thing you can do using old turntables...I did a quick Google on rotoscope + turntable, and hit this site, which has some interesting optical illusion ideas: http://huntel.net/rsweetland/science/actPlans/processes/opticaIllusnCAJP.htm

Good luck!
j
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Shop Soho Street Vendors
How to Add Style to Summer Outfits
How to Add Style to Fall Outfits
How to Dress in NYC to Get Into Clubs
The Best NYC Shopping Neighborhoods
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...